Logos 5 Impressions & Reviews

Page 3 of 9 (163 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 162 Replies | 15 Followers

Posts 190
EmileB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 2:18 PM

Oh, man. I don't know whether to be excited... or sick! I finally was able to carve out a block of time and have just spent the last week (in a personal retreat) pouring through my Camp Logos and Camp Logos 2 for L4Mac DVDS (I've had them for a while now but never had the opportunity to use them). I have spent days tagging every one of my 5,000 plus resources and more days re-setting up my collections, priorities, etc. I FINALLY feel like I have learned how L4 works... not that I don't have TONS to learn... and now I come back home, turn on my computer, and see L5 has been introduced!!! I sure hope that all my effort hasn't been in vain! Can anyone give me any encouragement??

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 2:22 PM

EmileB:
Can anyone give me any encouragement??

Lots of it!

L5 is not the rewrite that L4 was. You will still use your collections, notes, layouts, etc. There are some new databases to enjoy, and a couple of new functions, including clause searching. There is now a sermon starter guide and a topical study guide, which function just like the ones you already know but with different content. All-in-all what you know in L4 migrates pretty directly to L5.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 24926
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 2:33 PM

Donnie Hale:

Dave Hooton:
NOTE: You can still expect a download of about 1.5 - 1.9 GB for L5 as it will update roughly 30 resources (incl. Reverse Interlinear bibles and some Greek/Hebrew bibles) and databases + download new L5 databases.

Thanks for these details, Dave. Big help.

That was based on my existing L4 Silver library. So there will be additional new resource downloads depending on your Upgrade.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 3:01 PM

EmileB:
I FINALLY feel like I have learned how L4 works... not that I don't have TONS to learn... and now I come back home, turn on my computer, and see L5 has been introduced!!! I sure hope that all my effort hasn't been in vain! Can anyone give me any encouragement??
You should be okay, there are a few new features, and some speed improvements, but the bulk of what you learned will be easily implemented in 5. Yes

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 2201
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 3:13 PM

Just to clarify, I have every book in my library tagged and these will come over automatically from the cloud when I do an automatic L 5 update as well as all my collections, My PG, My EG etc?

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 3:14 PM

yes, that is correct John

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Posts 2201
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 3:15 PM

Thanks La Rosa!

Posts 2201
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 3:40 PM

I just spoke with Santiago, and he indicated that the only resources that L5 will download on an automatic update are the new resources, not the ones currently on my computer. Is this correct?

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 3:47 PM

John Fidel:

I just spoke with Santiago, and he indicated that the only resources that L5 will download on an automatic update are the new resources, not the ones currently on my computer. Is this correct?

New and updated resources will download. For example, interlinear Bibles have been updated for L5 so you'll get those too.  But if it hasn't changed it won't be downloaded again.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 47
LogosEmployee
Lawrence Rafferty | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 3:49 PM

John Fidel:

Many resources have been updated for Logos 5, so those updates will download too. Resources in your Logos 4 library that have not changed will not need to be redownloaded (or reindexed).

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 5:04 PM

Thanks for the Mac reviews. Feel free to keep them coming, especially if you're on 10.6 and an older Mac.

Jack Caviness:
The new notes engine is not yet in place. They are still developing that feature. Unfortunately automatic Scripture linking is not yet implemented.

So, if I understand you and others correctly, it's the exact same Notes feature that we've already got, only a bit faster? Very disappointing that the top item on Uservoice is still treated like a stepchild. I do hope they intend to fix that soon, and not in 5.5 (or L6-7-8...).

Jack Caviness:
In huge note files (several hundred notes)

"Several hundred notes" shouldn't be considered a "huge" note file in a Bible Study software.

TCBlack:
fgh:
Is there any cross reference functionality?
Um. How do you mean?

I meant the ability to attach the same note to several references, and the ability to link verse A to verse B and verse B to verse A in one step. But I think Jack and MJ has already given the answer, unfortunately.

MJ. Smith:
I didn't see any changes in lectionaries

So I still can't read the footnotes and the cross references from the lectionary, and I still can't attach a note to the reference? Just to name the two most daily annoyances. And no liturgical date datatype? 

It certainly doesn't seem like the things you and I most care about have been a priority... Crying

Though any performance enhancements are certainly welcome. And not a single crash reported yet, on either platform! I do hope that's a good sign.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 5:06 PM

So the site is up and now I am able to share with you my own video review of Logos 5 http://www.morethancake.org/archives/5580

Posts 504
Bob Deacon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 5:09 PM

Apparently you have to buy into a complete package and not simply upgrade the engine. The upgrade prices are way to high for me. I have just dumped substantial money into L4 only to have to dump another substantial amount to get a product that works like L4 should have worked! Don't know if I can sell off my resources or not but I am done with Logos.

Bob Deacon

Dell Inspiron, Windows 10 Latest Update

MacBook Air (2017) Mojave

Ipad Air 2 (ios 8.2.1)

Motorola G6 Play (android 8.3.1)

Posts 190
EmileB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 5:10 PM

Thank you Mark and Joe... that does make me feel a little bit better. I did just do a preliminary check on the website now that its back up. To be honest, I'm not at all interested in the upgrades... there's only one item I have an interest in (Baxter's works)... and I can get this standalone for a whole lot less... (even for free online and then do a PBB)... Oddly enough, based upon the symbols of what is "new" to 5 and what is "new" for me... my "upgrade" page indicates that I don't own four of the major commentary sets that I do, in fact, already own. Surely that should affect my upgrade price (which just seems crazy to me). I'd have to call... but even with those taken into consideration, there really isn't anything I'd have an interest in investing a bunch of cash in.

Admittedly, I need  to check out the demo videos where I have a better internet connection... but the new stuff doesn't really get me too excited to be honest. Which means I probably don't understand something. Maybe there's something about library management that now works better (which does concern me considering all the work I just completed to get the library to do somewhat what I want it to do in L4)

Yes, it IS nice to get Topics back... would hate to spend a ton of cash just to retrieve what we had in L3... I can't comment on Bible Events as I haven't seen it yet. It doesn't seem like the other dataset/feature additions are anything I'd be liable to use.

BUT... Speed and stability is definitely worth doing an L5 upgrade for, esp. for notes, Bible places/maps, and just general snappiness, but I haven't really had any problems on my MBA. I'll have to wait to see what the minimal crossgrade would run. I'll probably do that.

So all in all, I'm neither sick nor excited, per my original post. I do understand very well why many would be excited however. Maybe I'm still missing something and once I learn more, I will be able to share in that excitement. But to the rest of you... I wish you well and good studies !!!! Enjoy !!!

Posts 62
Ken Hicks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 5:14 PM

I am disappointed that the New International Greek Commentary was removed from Gold and Pillar NTC from the Platinum package. Somewhat underwhelmed at this point (from a content point of view).

Posts 124
Randy Murphy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 5:17 PM

I have Scholar’s Library (JG) will starter or bronze down grade me?

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 5:26 PM

fgh:
Thanks for the Mac reviews. Feel free to keep them coming, especially if you're on 10.6 and an older Mac.
FYI, My video review posted above is on a 2007 MacBook Pro running 10.6.

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 5:26 PM

Randy Murphy:

I have Scholar’s Library (JG) will starter or bronze down grade me?

I'm not sure how they would recognize your current package on the L5 About screen but you would keep all your current resources. The main thing I think you would gain is access to the new data sets for L5.

Posts 1202
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 5:38 PM

Joe Miller, thanks for the video posting--that's how I found out L5 was on the market!

My principle problem in L4 (Win) was I have a very large number of highlights, and the notes files just can't handle them--especially when I use the mobile versions of L4 (ios, android).  Have improvements to highlighting (or rather, management of notes files) been introduced with L5?

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 5:40 PM

Bob Deacon:
Apparently you have to buy into a complete package and not simply upgrade the engine.

As I understand it, this is temporary. Logos right now is focusing on package upgrades but after a period of time (they haven't said how long, which I grant is rather annoying) they will allow the crossgrade option they had before. With the crossgrade, the fee will be a bit smaller (if I recall correctly, it was in the neighborhood of $60 for L4) and will enable all the new functionality of L5.

The crossgrade isn't exactly an engine upgrade, but the same idea. Logos claims the engine is free, but you only pay for resources; well, if the engine requires particular resources to work as intended then the engine isn't really free. With that in mind, the crossgrade can be considered an engine upgrade.

Page 3 of 9 (163 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS