Logos 5 Impressions & Reviews

Page 7 of 9 (163 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next >
This post has 162 Replies | 15 Followers

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:16 AM

Jerry Walker:

George Somsel:
Frankly, I get sick and tired of hearing posters complain that Logos is "just about money."  Apparently you know no more about finances than the occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

You clearly have no more sense of compassion about EVERYONE not just a certain people then the guy who lost!!!! There should be benefit for all not just some. And thats where I think Logos lost it at...

Quite the contrary.  I have been in the position of having to cancel prepub orders because everything came at once and was more than I could afford.  Do you suppose that we are to give everything away to everyone just to be "fair"?  Shall we stand on the corner and hand out free phones, free food, free condoms, free Logos resources? 

26 "Whoever comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and even life itself, cannot be my disciple. 27 Whoever does not carry the cross and follow me cannot be my disciple. 28 For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not first sit down and estimate the cost, to see whether he has enough to complete it? 29 Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it will begin to ridicule him, 30 saying, ‘This fellow began to build and was not able to finish.’ 31 Or what king, going out to wage war against another king, will not sit down first and consider whether he is able with ten thousand to oppose the one who comes against him with twenty thousand? 32 If he cannot, then, while the other is still far away, he sends a delegation and asks for the terms of peace. 33 So therefore, none of you can become my disciple if you do not give up all your possessions.

Lk 14.25-33

There is no free lunch, and that doesn't indicate a lack of compassion.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:17 AM

“A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.” (Proverbs 15:1, ESV)  

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:25 AM

Very good posts, EmileB and Somsel!

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 5,850own
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:29 AM

Ron L Owen:

I spoke to a salesman that told me I would have to wait to upgrade, till after the ones purchasing new packages  had received their upgrades.  

I get nothing from Logos, but requests for me to purchase more stuff.

I see a lot of gimmicks to get you to buy stuff.  It seems greedy to me.  I have spent thousands of dollars on this program, yet it is just new money that seems to get catered too.  

I picked a bad day to post I guess.  I should be so harsh.

It is a good day to post and your perspective is welcomed, even though I do not fully agree with it. When logos 5 launched their servers were over extended and they had to add servers to keep up. If they had offered the free and cross grade software at that time they would have had to add even more servers at even more cost and charge even more for the software. Meanwhile Logos 4 remains as usable as it was before L5 was launched. When the free engine is available you will get additional features and improved performance. In other words logos has not taken away anything you have paid for in the past and has promised to improve your ability to use your past purchases I the near future at no charge. At least from my perspective they have been faithful to the promises they made when I made my past purchases. At the end of the day we may disagree and I am thankful The Lord is still The Lord, regardless of what might have happened last night or in the past :-)

Posts 1887
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:32 AM

George Somsel:
Shall we stand on the corner and hand out free phones, free food, free condoms, free Logos resources?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but two of the three are already true... ;)

Donnie

Posts 27
Brandon Vaughn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:34 AM

Maybe giving out free Logos resources along with condoms isn't a bad idea?  Smile

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:37 AM

Ron L Owen:

I spoke to a salesman that told me I would have to wait to upgrade, till after the ones purchasing new packages  had received their upgrades.  

I get nothing from Logos, but requests for me to purchase more stuff.

I see a lot of gimmicks to get you to buy stuff.  It seems greedy to me.  I have spent thousands of dollars on this program, yet it is just new money that seems to get catered too.  

I picked a bad day to post I guess.  I should be so harsh.

BTW, Ron, I'm still waiting too.  That's not so bad.  L4 still works fine so I'm good.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 274
Mike W | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:54 AM

Donnie Hale:

George Somsel:
Shall we stand on the corner and hand out free phones, free food, free condoms, free Logos resources?

Donnie

I really hate to be agreeing with George but those two out of three aren't free, they are either payed for and provided by volunteers, voluntarily or involuntarily by taxpayers (Catholic tax payers also get to pay for "free" condoms being distributes) or in the cost of goods with companies that donate food (and get a tax write off).  Also, Logos does give away some resources for free (see the free Vyrso books and the monthly free Logos book which we can also get the software to use for free).

PS. did i mention that I really really hate to be agreeing with George? Crying

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 10:57 AM

Donnie Hale:

George Somsel:

Donnie

Wrong.  3 of them are already true.  Sad

george
gfsomsel

Posts 1887
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 11:08 AM

George Somsel:
Wrong.  3 of them are already true.

Huh. To what "corner" do I go to get free Logos resources? ("Free" in the same sense as the other two...)

Donnie

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 11:21 AM

Donnie Hale:

George Somsel:
Wrong.  3 of them are already true.

Huh. To what "corner" do I go to get free Logos resources? ("Free" in the same sense as the other two...)

Donnie

Free phone, free condoms (Obamacare), free food (food stamps)

george
gfsomsel

Posts 1822
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 11:22 AM

Donnie Hale:
To what "corner" do I go to get free Logos resources?

http://wiki.logos.com/Free_Logos_Books

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 205
Jeffrey S. Robison | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 11:44 AM

I too like free stuff, especially books. I was not happy about the new upgrade procedure. As a matter of fact I was pretty upset. I have been using what is now Logos 5 since about 1993 I think. I use it everyday. I have more invested than I would like to admit. I prayed and God calmed my spirit. I called and ordered the upgrade. I am on the Mac side. I can say that initially, I am pleased with this upgrade. It appears to be pretty good. There are still a few things that I have not found or have not figured out how to use. I guess Morris Proctor will have to help me.

It seems that Logos has added offices and staff. The direction seems to be good. We are not at the table trying to figure out how best to support the employees and their families of this American small business that is creating jobs even in a bad economy. I decided to support their decisions by buying the upgrade. I definitely do not want the product to go away or no longer be available.

As a pastor, I understand that the gospel is free but it is not freely preached. Workers are worthy of their hire. Logos' President and their board are trying to give us a great ministry product and run a business. 

Sorry for my initial anger. Thanks Bob. And Thank you Jason Cavanaugh for listening to me rant. God bless you as you field more. May your spirit be as gracious with everyone as you were with me.

-jeff

Posts 2760
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 11:47 AM

David Thomas:

Donnie Hale:
To what "corner" do I go to get free Logos resources?

http://wiki.logos.com/Free_Logos_Books

Now that would be a good marketing campaign for Logos. Enhance the free books by putting them on a CD, offer the CD to street ministries and everyone out in the field, and ask them to give to EVERYONE regardless of possible purchase. This is what may really happen; the ones who cannot afford even a basic package has access to those who can drop thousands without thinking much about it. They in-turn like the program and decide to buy themselves the portfolio with other resources (because those who are financially rich don't want anything stripped down) and bless all of their friends with a starter. All of this comes from the one who could not afford the basic package. Smile

Posts 776
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 12:28 PM

George Somsel:
Free phone, free condoms (Obamacare), free food (food stamps)

Click here to play this video

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 287
Jerry Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 12:53 PM

George Somsel:
Do you suppose that we are to give everything away to everyone just to be "fair"? 

I started writing a long post defending what I feel you and the small percentage of people like you believe, but I deleted it because its pointless and doesn't matter after last-night. You quoted Luke 14 that has NOTHING to do what we are talking about. But I would recommend you read Luke 12:13-21 and then take the time to read 12:35-48 key verse 48!!!! I'm done!!!

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 1:16 PM

Jerry Walker:

George Somsel:
Do you suppose that we are to give everything away to everyone just to be "fair"? 

I started writing a long post defending what I feel you and the small percentage of people like you believe, but I deleted it because its pointless and doesn't matter after last-night. You quoted Luke 14 that has NOTHING to do what we are talking about. But I would recommend you read Luke 12:13-21 and then take the time to read 12:35-48 key verse 48!!!! I'm done!!!

Were those passages addressed to the Roman Emperor or to the Roman governor of Judea?  I think not.  Jesus spoke to his disciples (which includes all who came to hear him.  He did not address any government authority.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 4623
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 1:19 PM

George Somsel:

Jerry Walker:

George Somsel:

Were those passages addressed to the Roman Emperor or to the Roman governor of Judea?  I think not.  Jesus spoke to his disciples (which includes all who came to hear him.  He did not address any government authority.

Good lads - glad to see we sticking to Logos and helping people get the most out of it.

Back into line now!

Posts 37
steve haworth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 1:23 PM

There's always Esword (www.e-sword.net/) for good free Bible software, that anyone can use, and ton of good resources for it too.

As for logos 5 i just upgraded. It seems like a supered-up logos 4. The speed is noticeably faster which is great. I'm all round real pleased with it.   

Posts 341
Abram K-J | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 9:31 PM

Gosh, I almost feel like it's off-topic now to post another Logos 5 review here (Smile), but I do have some further impressions after a week of use. I'm particularly appreciating the Data Sets and all they can do.

Abram K-J: Pastor, Writer, Freelance Editor, Youth Ministry Consultant
Blog: Words on the Word

Page 7 of 9 (163 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > | RSS