Logos Bible Software 5 is here!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1690
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 1 2012 5:37 PM

This is a significant release with a fresh UI, re-configured base packages, new guides, new search capabilities, and new databases to support your Bible study and help you stay connected to the Word.

Our Content Innovation team has been working on new databases for more than three years, and we have interconnected all this new content with our tools and your library. (The power of digital tools -- moving beyond putting paper books on screen, and building new kinds of designed-digital content -- is really shown in Logos 5!)

We have also rebuilt our upgrade calculator to support a dynamic pricing model; every user will be offered a custom upgrade price (on base packages and great add-on bundles) that reflects the investment you've already made in Logos resources.

I don't have room here to talk about everything that's new in Logos 5, and I couldn't do it justice. But our team has been building videos and web pages to introduce it to you. Take a look -- I know you'll be as excited as I am!

-- Bob Pritchett

President/CEO Logos Bible Software

IMPORTANT NOTE: Despite our planning, it looks like our servers may be overwhelmed. When you "Submit" at the end of check-out, there may be a long-ish processing delay while the license server is updated. Please do not hit the back-button or re-submit! The transaction will go through even if your browser window times out. (You'll probably get a confirmation email even before the final check-out page returns, indicating transaction success.)

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 6:00 PM

this is a great day, Bob.  I look forward to seeing where these developments take my study and transformation.  I also get excited to think about how this can and will be built on.  think big, and still enjoy that fresh Washington air.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 6:21 PM

Bob Pritchett:
I know you'll be as excited as I am!

Peace, Bob!                     I find it a little difficult to contain my excitement.              *smile*       Logos 5 is incredibly beautiful and functional.  Indeed, what a thrill to use it!

I'm sure I'm not the only one fervently praying for you and your team and your family; however I DO commit myself for the immediate future to regular prayer for you and your team and your family.  Also, I absolutely want to commend you strongly for your last evening's posting on a thread that I thought was getting a bit "dicey, where Luigi was being subjected to negative pressure from another forum user.

As an MVP I felt that I had handled it rather well and perhaps defused a couple of issues!          Well, be that as it may, I was absolutely shocked when the

President/CEO Logos Bible Software himself posted!  Incredible, Bob!  You really do care about people and Logos' reputation!    And Justice and Right over against Wrong!      On the Eve of the Logos 5 launch, there you are posting a very good post indeed that handled the issues very well.              As if you didn't have a thousand other items begging for your attention all at once!

Well Done, Bob!  You stand pretty tall in my books.

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 485
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:03 PM

Bob Pritchett:

TWe have also rebuilt our upgrade calculator to support a dynamic pricing model; every user will be offered a custom upgrade price (on base packages and great add-on bundles) that reflects the investment you've already made in Logos resources.

The "New to you" mark shows up for some resources I already own. One such example is Themelios. I bought the original Themelios package, then the supplement, so I own all of the currently available volumes. But since I did not buy the most current 57 volume edition, the system doesn't think I already own it. I wonder if the same applies to commentary sets that are getting updates/new volumes most every year.

Posts 249
Giovanni Baggio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 9:13 AM

Alrighty then, while I appreciate Logos for releasing their v5 of the software I think L4 had better content (especially the original Platinum Package that had the Baker Titles removed).  Here are some things I don't get:

1.  Why include Lange's commentary (a public domain) as part of the higher packages?

2. Why remove Pillar's NTC and NIGTC?

3.  Why include Lenski's NTC (another public domain) as part of the higher packages?

4.  Why jack up the price on Platinum when the content (in commentaries) is not as high quality?

I guess is not so bad, but considering the amount of money Logos wants old users to pay to upgrade or new users to pay to purchase, I think the quality is not there.  I do love the fact that Exegetical Summaries are included, but I'm not too fond of that series.  I do like the fact that Preaching the Word was included, but it seems to be more like expository sermon manuscripts rather than a commentary.

What would happen if Logos could sell L4 packages and L5 packages to users? I wonder which one would sell more? I think that's one thing Logos should consider starting with L4.  Have L4, L5, L6, etc. available so users could have a choice.  Anyway, I guess it's just me but either way, thanks to Logos for their hard work in making Bible Study easier for people.

Yes, yes, I've been nice and civil about this so no complains please ;-)

Giovanni

Posts 4603
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 1:57 PM

Giovanni Baggio:

I agree, it was very nice and civilWink

Bob indicated during the L5 beta that they had to redesign the packages in large part because of publisher pressure to pull remove them. Obviously I do not know the details, but I trust they tried to make the new packages as mutually beneficial (for the users as well as the company) as possible.

I was not thrilled to see some of the package changes, but overall L5 is (IMHO) a better product.

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 2:02 PM

Giovanni Baggio:

Alrighty then, while I appreciate Logos for releasing their v5 of the software I think L4 had better content (especially the original Platinum Package that had the Baker Titles removed).  Here are some things I don't get:

1.  Why include Lange's commentary (a public domain) as part of the higher packages?

2. Why remove Pillar's NTC and NIGTC?

3.  Why include Lenski's NTC (another public domain) as part of the higher packages?

4.  Why jack up the price on Platinum when the content (in commentaries) is not as high quality?

I guess is not so bad, but considering the amount of money Logos wants old users to pay to upgrade or new users to pay to purchase, I think the quality is not there.  I do love the fact that Exegetical Summaries are included, but I'm not too fond of that series.  I do like the fact that Preaching the Word was included, but it seems to be more like expository sermon manuscripts rather than a commentary.

What would happen if Logos could sell L4 packages and L5 packages to users? I wonder which one would sell more? I think that's one thing Logos should consider starting with L4.  Have L4, L5, L6, etc. available so users could have a choice.  Anyway, I guess it's just me but either way, thanks to Logos for their hard work in making Bible Study easier for people.

Giovanni

Sure glad I got (and get to keep) the Pillar and NIGTC and Baker Commentaries I got with Plaitinum and later upgraded to purchase all available commentaries in these series.

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 4603
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 2:06 PM

Eric Weiss:
Sure glad I got (and get to keep) the Pillar and NIGTC and Baker Commentaries I got with Plaitinum and later upgraded to purchase all available commentaries in these series.

Just to make what I said clear, my understanding is that some content had to be removed from the base packages. My understanding is that Logos still sells the content, they just cannot include it in a base package right now.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 4:06 AM

Fredc:

Eric Weiss:

Just to make what I said clear, my understanding is that some content had to be removed from the base packages. My understanding is that Logos still sells the content, they just cannot include it in a base package right now.

that's my understanding as well, ,Fredc.  Eric, many, many times I have given thanks that I got a good resource and Logos offer before a Publisher decided they would not allow the product to be sold via Logos, or taken away from a base package.  Smile

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS