Upgrading

Page 2 of 16 (313 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 312 Replies | 13 Followers

Posts 40
Marshall T Barth Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:12 PM

PTL!!! I totally agree with the "feeling trapped and betrayed," this sounds more like Microsoft, a secular company, than Logos, supposedly one of the top Christian companies!!! What will all this $$$ get them if the LORD returns quickly!?! I just pray they remember WHO they're working for and not what!!!

Posts 181
Jacques | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:13 PM

There is no secret folks. Logos has resources like none other, and has prices like none other. Personally, I feel it's not right to charge what they do. Honestly. But man, it's the best. It's got no class and it's clunky, the UI is really not designed - it's sorta hobbled together.

But is there anything as resourceful? ..as multi-platform?

I like it, but I sure am constantly frustrated by LOTS of public domain works for LOTS of money. (I primarily read 1700s and past...)

Will upgrade when I can afford it. Looking for the free engine link in the meantime! =)

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:16 PM

David Ogg:

Logos is alienating their happy customers and turning them into unhappy ones. I will no longer be able to continue to recommend Logos to friends and family. 

I too have spent over a $1000 just in the last year building my library and now they are telling me I no longer own a legitimate base package. Hundreds of dollars to just get back to my original base package and get the updated engine. They should charge a fee of no more than $75 for the new engine and grandfather in the previous owners of the package to receive upgrades to the newer version of their package.

Logos is abusing their recent success at the cost of their loyal customers. Proverbs has a few thoughts they should consider.

David, there will eventually be a path that is lower cost that allows you to use all your resources while enjoying the new functionality of Logos 5. That will be the minimal crossgrade. It sounds like that would be a great fit for you at this point, but unfortunately it is not yet available, and we don't have a price.

I guess I am over the base package thing. I do have Platinum but doubt I will ever upgrade it beyond where it is now. Neither Diamond nor Portfolio tempt me.

However I have over 6,000 Logos resources and I buy those that interest me at this point.

Upgrading packages has never been free. There is always new content, and Logos must charge for that. We can be upset over what they put in and take out (I've voiced that at times) but we can choose whether to 'keep' our status at each upgrade opportunity. As I said, I am a bit beyond the status thing at this point, so that doesn't matter. I will upgrade to L5 Platinum if the new resources I can receive are compelling enough to pay the price Logos asks. If not, I'll wait for the minimal crossgrade.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:17 PM

Donnie Hale:
many of us have found items in our list which we in fact already own.

i'd be interested in those findings.  was it posted on another thread?

Donnie Hale:
I have Portfolio Edition 4 now. And to upgrade to Logos 5 Portfolio which does not have a single added book that I want will cost me $1,524.49. NO THANKS!

I think I am getting that--wanting to maintain an 'official level' (like Portfolio--and I am also a fellow portfolio), and I certainly like to upgrade and spend hundreds or a thousand plus dollars on books I really want, not just padding.  We do sort of have that built in expectation, I think.  Many of us, anyway, might say so.   But I found myself looking at Gold, and thinking . . . "okay, I still keep all my Portfolio stuff from L4 and this (Gold) is what I need to take advantage of all the functions--and really, that's not so bad."  in the end, i felt some annoyance at not being officially Portfolio, but ultimately it really didn't seem to matter that much to me--I still gained.  just make gold a little higher in value than the old Portfolio.  

kind of a Spinal Tap approach: "ours go to eleven!"

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 6483
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:19 PM

David Ogg:
I too have spent over a $1000 just in the last year building my library and now they are telling me I no longer own a legitimate base package. Hundreds of dollars to just get back to my original base package and get the updated engine.

Welcome to the forums David. If you do not upgrade you will not lose anything. You will continue to have access to all of our resources on Win XP or Win7

Second, the engine will eventually be free, after the launching period this month.

Third, Logos usually charge a minimum fee to get the new databases.

This is the way they did with the launch of L4, and what they are doing with L5. Will post the link by Logos staff later.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 93
Robert C. Beckman Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:19 PM

I am an original languages guy and I don't see a crossgrade option. This company is committing suicide.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:20 PM

Paul Miller:

I am with both of you.  I'm okay with the idea of a crossgrade, and I hope it comes soon, but this is information that would have been nice to know about SOMEWHERE on the site outside of the forums.

But then people would wait for the cheaper crossgrade instead of spending more money now, thinking it was the only option available. It's all marketing.

Posts 105
Gary Pajkos | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:20 PM

I too have spent a large sum of money and have spend a lot of time on PBB's to make Logos 4 my complete Bible Study software.  I really don't get this. 

An upgrade should use the resources I already own and just charge me a cost for the new functionality.  This is really a bad idea and this will alienate many loyal customers. 

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:22 PM

Robert C. Beckman Jr.:

I am an original languages guy and I don't see a crossgrade option. This company is committing suicide.

It's probably been said a dozen times already today, but I'll say it again: the crossgrade is coming, it's not available yet, and we don't know the price.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 6
P. R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:26 PM

The whole release seems very... vague.  For someone who doesn't follow the forums for details very often, this upgrade feels as though it is coming out of nowhere.  Also, I am hearing people talking about crossgrading here but there doesn't seem to be any place to find out about it from the website itself.

Like others, I've spent a TON already on Logos, but I'm not one to really care if it's called the 'Platinum' or called the 'Filthy Rags' package, but it is confusing that there is no real page hyping up ALL the benefits to upgrading to L5 with the same package title.  The video doesn't do enough.  :(

(And a plug for wanted content: if we're going to include the timeline of C.S. Lewis' birth and death in a photo of the new Timeline feature, I'd LOVE to see his works show up here.)

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:26 PM

David, what was it about Logos that made you a happy customer?

Posts 105
Gary Pajkos | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:27 PM

You're going to have to keep saying it, because this was the best kept secret and the worst launch of a new version release I have ever seen and I work in IT and have seen quite a few.  

It's just wrong to make your reinvest for all the same resources over again in order to get the new functionality in the latest version.  I know of no other software company that does this.

So the upgrade or crossgrade cannot come fast enough.  That should be the upgrade and the cost, period.

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:27 PM

Marshall T Barth Jr:
PTL!!! I totally agree with the "feeling trapped and betrayed," this sounds more like Microsoft, a secular company, than Logos, supposedly one of the top Christian companies!!! What will all this $$ get them if the LORD returns quickly!?! I just pray they remember WHO they're working for and not what!!!

I hesitate to respond because I don't think it will help, but I know Logos spent hundreds of thousands of dollars developing L5, if not in the millions. The only way for that to happen is for them to make money somewhere. Maybe you can figure out a better place for them to make it than on selling resources. I can't. As I said, this probably won't settle your mind, but developers have to be paid and customer (free) support has to be paid for, servers have to be paid for an maintained, and on and on. The basic engine is still free, yet it cost millions by now to develop. I am OK with what they do, though I, too, wish it were sometimes less expensive. In the end we can vote with our wallets.

I am not trying to start a discussion that has been played out many times before without both sides agreeing. There is just more to this than what you've implied. I won't say any more.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1890
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:27 PM

Dan DeVilder:
i'd be interested in those findings.  was it posted on another thread?

I think this thread had a couple of mentions, and another thread named "Resource Calculator Bug" has some specifics. Dan Pritchett just replied in the thread.

Donnie

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:31 PM

Gary Pajkos:
It's just wrong to make your reinvest for all the same resources over again in order to get the new functionality in the latest version.

That's not what's happening. When you "upgrade" to the same package in the new version, the cost is for the new resources in that package. I have Version 4 Platinum. The restructured Platinum for version 5 adds a lot of resources I don't have. The cost covers the new datasets for V5 and all the new resources in the Platinum package (or whatever package I "upgrade" to).

Posts 93
Robert C. Beckman Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:34 PM

It is going to be tough to get to sleep tonight. The Logos solution to every problem is the same--more books. A large portion of these forums has been committed to solving problems. We have gotten to 4.6SR1425 or something like that being used as bug-swatters for the company. One week ago I did not think I would be able to even use the Mac version throughout the weekend. Now in 7 days time I have the added frustration of paying for the same resources....the third time. I want to judiciously add reference resources when I need them, not when Logos wants to sell them. Many of us seem to angry and frustrated as well as getting poorer by the minute. How am I supposed to explain this to my wife or any other sane individual?

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:34 PM

Robert C. Beckman Jr.:

I think they are rebranding Original Languages, and it will be available through their academic program.

are you able to wait for the minimal crossgrade?

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:34 PM

Gary Pajkos:
It's just wrong to make your reinvest for all the same resources over again in order to get the new functionality in the latest version.  I know of no other software company that does this.

Gary, unless I misunderstand you, you will not pay for a single resource again. If you look at your personal upgrade price it is for the new items that are contained in the same base package you presently own (be sure that is what you are looking at). For me that isn't too many new ones and those are discounted as well as they probably ever will be. I only pay to obtain those plus the new databases in L5.

The new databases will be available in a package deal called the crossgrade at some point. The L4 crossgrade was $69. No pricing has been mentioned for the new crossgrade.

You can continue to run L4 at no additional cost, or can upgrade to L5 without the new databases for free. You do not ever have to re-buy a resource.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 93
Robert C. Beckman Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:35 PM

Every other company of the "big three" will be multi-platform in 2013. This is just not well thought out upgrade path.

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:36 PM

Robert C. Beckman Jr.:
Now in 7 days time I have the added frustration of paying for the same resources....the third time.

No Robert. That is wrong. You will not pay for the same resource twice. Please clarify what you mean when you say that. I hope it is just a misunderstanding.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 2 of 16 (313 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS