Upgrading

Page 9 of 16 (313 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > ... Last »
This post has 312 Replies | 13 Followers

Posts 7
David Beth-El | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:54 AM

Hi Mark Smith,

You've mentioned that we can run L5 without adding the new databases for free. Others have been saying that getting L5 will cost (as I understand them). Is a free L5 something we have to wait for? Also, for how long can we run L4 before we can't buy books for it anymore? I'm a student (therefore with money for text books only) and I have another 6 years to go.

Posts 26
ClaytonH | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 4:05 AM

There must be some miscommunication going on here, because when I spoke to Logos they informed that my upgrade from Languages L4 to Languages L5 would cost $637 (about $200 more than what I paid for L4) and I would only get a couple of extra resources plus the L5 features - and I'm not even sure if it was all of them.  

Therefore, I would be paying even MORE for the same resources I purchased 12 months ago, albeit with the new L5 features.  

Posts 4689
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 4:16 AM

David Beth-El:
You've mentioned that we can run L5 without adding the new databases for free.

Yes but not yet. There will be a delay before the free engine is released.

David Beth-El:
Others have been saying that getting L5 will cost (as I understand them.

To make L5 really worth the money you need to get in at about the Gold Level. That unlocks a lot of the power of L5 for serious and detailed study. For that there will be some charge.

David Beth-El:
Also, for how long can we run L4 before we can't buy books for it anymore?

At the moment that is indefinitely (which I guess and this is only a guess actually means when the proportion of L4 users drops to less than 5% and it becomes financially viable for Logos to make them an offer they can't refuse.) Look to a decade of so.

Posts 25114
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 4:27 AM

David Beth-El:
You've mentioned that we can run L5 without adding the new databases for free. Others have been saying that getting L5 will cost (as I understand them). Is a free L5 something we have to wait for?

Yes. My guess would be December at the earliest.

David Beth-El:

Basically until Logos stop producing in the .logos4 format  (similar to the situation with L3 when production in the .lbxlls format was recently stopped). What is likely is that .logos4 resources will have data features that can only be exploited by L5.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 7
David Beth-El | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 4:28 AM

Mike Binks:

David Beth-El:
You've mentioned that we can run L5 without adding the new databases for free.

Yes but not yet. There will be a delay before the free engine is released.

David Beth-El:
Others have been saying that getting L5 will cost (as I understand them.

To make L5 really worth the money you need to get in at about the Gold Level. That unlocks a lot of the power of L5 for serious and detailed study. For that there will be some charge.

David Beth-El:

At the moment that is indefinitely (which I guess and this is only a guess actually means when the proportion of L4 users drops to less than 5% and it becomes financially viable for Logos to make them an offer they can't refuse.) Look to a decade of so.

Thank you Mike, and thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:04 AM

Austin Preik:
Do I, or do I not have to purchase more books to get all the features Logos 5 offers? (Assuming I am gold right now)

The short answer: you do NOT.

The longer answer. You just have to wait a bit more. the engine only download will be free, perhaps once the servers are able to take the additional strain. As you can  no doubt tell now, the servers are screaming under the load. Either way, the engine (program itself) will be free.

A Minimal crossgrade with just the databases, or at least some of them (this is not clear to me?) will be made available at the cost of the databases once the initial promotion is complete.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:05 AM

MJ. Smith:

Mark Stevens:
Yes I did but why should I have to downgrade to get a cross grade

It's not a down grade - you lose absolutely nothing. It is a renaming - two or three old base packages didn't even get their names continued forward.

This is a very good point, and seems to be a sticky one for many here. It would be just as true and far more clear to call it either renaming or adding a package.

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 26
ClaytonH | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:06 AM

Does anyone have any information about the Biblical Languages Package? Logos said they have it, but their system was going too slow to give any real details about it.  

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:07 AM

Rick King:
I did have a look at Silver...  272 dollars.  One thing that is bugging me is that the new to you feature on there is WRONG.  I HAVE the New American Commentary and another one they say I don't have. 
Actually there have been volumes added to the set, that explains the reason it is not marked. But you are getting credit for every volume you do own. Dan Pritchett explained the calculator HERE.

Check the Wiki

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:10 AM

ClaytonH:

Does anyone have any information about the Biblical Languages Package? Logos said they have it, but their system was going too slow to give any real details about it.  

It has been absorbed (name changed) to bronze I believe. There are of course some resource differences because all of the packages were recreated from scratch.

Check the Wiki

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:12 AM

Scott Carson:
I have noticed that the new to you is wrong as well.  I have found at least 5 items I already own.
Actually you're probably seeing differences in collection content or new resources in other ways. Dan Pritchett explained the calculator.

Check the Wiki

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:14 AM

TCBlack:

ClaytonH:

It has been absorbed (name changed) to bronze I believe. There are of course some resource differences because all of the packages were recreated from scratch.

Clayton, the Biblical Language package is a rebranding of Original Language studies.  Last I read, it will be offered through Logos' academic program.  And it wasn't going to be up "until later", the way I understood it at least.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 4689
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:16 AM

Donnie Hale:
I would recommend that you carefully review the "New to you" list, as many of us have found items in our list which we in fact already own. It sounds like it would be even more painful for you than it is for me. But I'm going to push very hard to prove the point that their price is calculated quite incorrectly.

A couple of Logos employees have posted that the 'New to you' calculator is robust. The graphics on the website are not the most helpful though.

We have been told that if there are any changes to a set or series then that is shown on the web site as being 'New to you'. However, behind that the calculator is using your existing library records to consider each volume that you own is considered in the quoted price.

I you eventually do find that there is a real discrepancy then it would be great to let us know.

At the moment I take it you are merely speculating?

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:25 AM

I'm not speculating I have checked a few out and I have a number of he products listed.

on another note I want to thank you all for replying. I have always wanted to author a thread that went viral. Now I have. Thank you very much!!! Smile

Posts 4689
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:29 AM

Mark Stevens:

I'm not speculating I have checked a few out and I have a number of he products listed.

on another note I want to thank you all for replying. I have always wanted to author a thread that went viral. Now I have. Thank you very much!!! Smile

Mark 

Did you notice the qualification about series with new volumes, editions and revisions not stopping the list telling you that you do not own the whole series?

It would be really helpful to other users if you could identify, at least some of the resources that are not being taken into account and what the response of customer services was to being presented with the facts.

In case you missed it  see Dan's post.

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:35 AM

I'd didn't see that thanks. The one that springs to mind is the New American Commentary and there was another one that was a single volume but I ain't remember which one. That title alone says to me it isn't working right yet. I have no problem being patient with that. My beef is with the lush to upgrade before releasing a cross grade.

Posts 4689
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:43 AM

Mark Stevens:
I'd didn't see that thanks. The one that springs to mind is the New American Commentary and there was another one that was a single volume but I ain't remember which one.

I will be interesting to know what customer services have to say about that. You will let us know?

Mark Stevens:
I have no problem being patient with that. My beef is with the lush to upgrade before releasing a cross grade.

Yes they did make a big mistake. If they had renamed all the packages and told us we could add a new package with access to a whole lot of new databases it would have saved a lot of heart ache.

The problem, as I see it is not that - say Portfolio users -  are finding adding the New Gold to their library is very expensive - it is that they cannot get their heads round the fact that L4 portfolio is always theirs and that adding the New Gold is not a downgrade but and addition.

I wonder how much less expensive (if any) a cross grade to all these new features is likely to be.

Posts 483
Gary Butner, Th.D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 7:07 AM

David Housholder:

The suggestion of a crossgrade eventually being available with no new books but the version 5 tools: That sounds good except that the new tools are not all available unless you go to the highest upgrade. Even a one or two step upgrade now does not include all the new tools. 

I currently have the Platinum 4 package, and 5,446 resources. My upgrade cost is $550, but that also adds several commentary sets, tools, etc. I could step down to the Silver 5 package, and gain the new tools for $132.59. What have I lost by choosing Silver can be summed up in two words, "BRAGGING RIGHTS." 

Posts 9110
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 7:19 AM

Gary Butner:
"BRAGGING RIGHTS." 

Important to some, I guess. How about substituting size of library which is what the old paper books on a shelf standard was? (Well I have over 1,000 books just on the Holy Spirit!, or some such nonsense like that.)

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 7:20 AM

Gary Butner:
I currently have the Platinum 4 package, and 5,446 resources. My upgrade cost is $550, but that also adds several commentary sets, tools, etc. I could step down to the Silver 5 package, and gain the new tools for $132.59. What have I lost by choosing Silver can be summed up in two words, "BRAGGING RIGHTS." 
Ouch.

Check the Wiki

Page 9 of 16 (313 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > ... Last » | RSS