For the Nth time: the crossgrade option will be coming but isn't here yet.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:39 PM

A lot of people aren't real happy about the upgrade costs, new collection designations, and the money they'd have to spend to use all of the L5 functionality they had in L4.

Don't panic and don't throw Logos under the bus!

There will be a free engine and minimal crossgrade coming!

We don't know when. We don't know pricing. We don't know how it will calculate features.

Be patient. I'm waiting too. I won't upgrade until I see all my options, including the minimal crossgrade. Maybe you're in the same situation I am. If so, wait. Patience is usually worth it.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1889
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:48 PM

Richard DeRuiter:

There will be a free engine and minimal crossgrade coming!

We don't know when. We don't know pricing. We don't know how it will calculate features.

Be patient. I'm waiting too. I won't upgrade until I see all my options, including the minimal crossgrade. Maybe you're in the same situation I am. If so, wait. Patience is usually worth it.

I think we all understand that - I certainly do. The issue is on what basis Logos doesn't offer an upgrade path that they know they are going to eventually offer right out of the gate. It's inexplicable, presumptuous, and to my mind at least somewhat arrogant. As I posted to Dan Pritchett in another thread, I'd love to hear a rational explanation.

Part of the frustration is the fact that the web site is completely unusable right now. Numerous "Internal Server Error" pages on my iPad and now just spinning in Firefox and Chrome on my laptop. I can't even figure out what resources I'd get at the lowest possible "upgrade" I could do now because I can't get to the /upgrade page or any product details pages.

Donnie

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:51 PM

Donnie Hale:
As I posted to Dan Pritchett in another thread, I'd love to hear a rational explanation.

I responded to your post there with some rational guesses.

Donnie Hale:
Part of the frustration is the fact that the web site is completely unusable right now. . .

The site is quite usable for me. Maybe it's your connection, or maybe I just happen to be connected to a better server. As you can probably guess, the servers are being heavily used right now. Slowdowns are not to be unexpected.

I recommend patience.

Posts 6483
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2012 7:53 PM

Please see Logos Frequently Asked questions for further details. http://www.logos.com/faq

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 8:42 AM

Bump.

Just keeping this thread up front for folks to see.

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:27 AM

I upgraded --but not for the books. There weren't any on the list I wanted, to be honest. I only upgraded for the tools. But I must say that $500 to "crossgrade," was a lot of money just to grab some tools, and a new engine.

I've spent well over $25k with Logos in the last several years, run a Logos users group, and have been trying to convince the seminary I attend and support to convert to a Logos school. And I understand Logos is a business, at bottom, not a ministry (as so many on this forum seem to think).

But, when Logos does something like this --when I must go tell my friends who I've convinced to run Logos that they must spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars to get a tool set that will make them more effective at what they do for a living, which is preaching the Scriptures-- then it's a hard sell to make.

Trying to upsell me on resources is one thing. Forcing me to buy resources that I don't want so I can get to tools I do want --I don't see any way to justify this sort of thing.

IMHO, Logos is pricing themselves out of the market.

Russ

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:30 AM

BTW, one more point to make --this entire idea of selling access to tools is going to be a big problem for Logos in the long run. The story I've always told people, to "start small and build over time," no longer works. You must buy a package, with all that goes with buying that package, to access the tools.

There's now a permanent difference between Gold and everything below.

That's a bad thing. The least Logos could do is offer a minimal book upgrade with the tools, rather than restricting the new tools to only higher level packages.

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:30 AM

Russ White:
But I must say that $500 to "crossgrade," was a lot of money just to grab some tools, and a new engine.

This was not the crossgrade we are talking about. The crossgrade gets you the new databases (depending on current base package), but no resources. You upgraded to a new base package.

NOTE: the names of the base packages, while the same as the names for L4 base packages, are not equivalent to L4 base packages.

Posts 98
Johan L | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:57 AM

Has there been any official information about the crossgrade yet? Could anyone a link to the post/page? I've looked around a bit and encountered a lot of people saying there will be one, but so far I've not seen any statement by someone working for Logos.

Posts 130
Robert J Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:06 AM

"NOTE: the names of the base packages, while the same as the names for L4 base packages, are not equivalent to L4 base packages."

And how are we to actually know that? They took down the L4 comparison chart. Or is this another of your guesses?

I am an L4 Portfolio user. They want $1,600+ for the upgrade and I can not tell from the chart that is posted what I would be getting that is new. There is no way I can see to discern what resources are new. And no list of features either.

I agree that Logos has handled this roll out poorly. I thought the L4 roll out was a mess, but congrats to Logos for topping themselves.

Posts 21915
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:11 AM

Hi Robert

Robert J Smith:
They want $1,600+ for the upgrade and I can not tell from the chart that is posted what I would be getting that is new. There is no way I can see to discern what resources are new. And no list of features either.

I don't understand this.

On the upgrade calculator page there should be options called "New to 5" and "New to you". If you click these they filter the information provided accordingly.

There are also icons in the first column of the display indicating this status.

I'm not saying it is totally clear but the information you are looking for should be present.

Features are at the bottom of the comparison list 

Graham

Posts 20
Thornell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:25 AM

When do you suppose they will make available the "cross grade"?

I just "upgraded" from a the Scholars Silver to the Platunim package, fresh out of resources for another upgrade.

Posts 4642
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:40 AM

Thornell:

I just "upgraded" from a the Scholars Silver to the Platunim package, fresh out of resources for another upgrade.

Don't forget Logos' 30 day return offer.

If you think that your money would have been better spent on an L5 package ask for a refund and repurchase what you really want.

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:41 AM

Johan Leirvik:
Has there been any official information about the crossgrade yet? Could anyone a link to the post/page?

http://www.logos.com/faq

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:48 AM

Thornell:

Nobody outside of Logos knows for certain. Though it is considered that it will be late December or shortly after.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:53 AM

Russ, I agree with you 100%. I currently have 6,610 sources in my Logos library. I have been spending between $100-$200 each month on new books. I am trying to decide if I want to cancel all of my future orders. They total up to $4240.59. I am seriously considering never buying another Logos book!

Posts 1889
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:23 AM

TCBlack:
Nobody outside of Logos knows for certain. Though it is considered that it will be late December or shortly after.

I just got off the phone with a sales rep. He told me that all of the sales staff has been told that there will *not* be a minimal crossgrade option at any time. And they have been telling customers that for the last 2 days.

I told him Bob, Dan, and others on the forums have seemed to state otherwise. To him, that was "emergency news" that needed to be passed along to the rest of the sales staff.

More from the "poor communication" department...

Donnie

Posts 98
Johan L | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:28 AM

Richard DeRuiter:

Maybe I'm just being blind, but I could not find it on this page, could you point me to the correct section?

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:43 AM

Johan Leirvik:

Maybe I'm just being blind, but I could not find it on this page, could you point me to the correct section?

I just went and looked too. It looks like the reference to the minimal crossgrade was removed (it was there last night).

However Bob just posted here that the free engine is coming. I trust that the minimal crossgrade will also come at the same time, or before.

I wish there was a clearer statement from Logos that I could point you to. Maybe someone else has something.

Posts 98
Johan L | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:51 AM

Richard DeRuiter:

I just went and looked too. It looks like the reference to the minimal crossgrade was removed (it was there last night).

However Bob just posted here that the free engine is coming. I trust that the minimal crossgrade will also come at the same time, or before.

I wish there was a clearer statement from Logos that I could point you to. Maybe someone else has something.

Thanks for taking the time Richard. This was what I feared. I still hope there will be an option for this. I guess I just have to wait and see.

BTW: The best info I've found regarding the free engine is at this page under "Step 1..."

"Note: If you already have Logos 4, there is no need to uninstall. Logos 5 will upgrade your existing Logos 4 installation automatically."

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS