Logos 5 Upgrade

Page 3 of 9 (162 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 161 Replies | 13 Followers

Posts 885
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 1:29 PM

Another problem I see is this: I don't exactly know what Logos 5 is.

may be this is only my problem, but I can only find a video and a short passage from the Logos blog to see what's Logos 5.

but I really need to know thoroughly what new features it is giving me. For example, one feature from the video mentioned about the words from the same root. I want to know more about this. If this feature is what I think it is then it is a deal maker, and I want to know which is the minimum package I can get this feature.

So can someone give me a reference that can help me to know Logos 5 more? Thanks.

Posts 4669
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 1:30 PM

Hi Kolen

Have you watched the video on the Logos.com Home page?

Posts 885
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 1:40 PM

Mike Binks:

Kolen Cheung:
To me, the practical issue is money. First the price for me to upgrade the platinum package is too much.

It is really unfortunate that Logos chose to reuse that old package names in this new version. It might help to think of them as completely separate entireties. (ie Old Platinum and New Platinum)

You have the Old Platinum - your resources are still there they will not be lost. So what to you want?

If the resources added in the New Platinum are of no interest to you then there is no point in upgrading to that package.

If you want all but one of the new databases and are happy with basically what you have in your library at present then an upgrade to 'New Gold' would probably be the most sensible (economical) move. The only thing you would change doing this is the name of your collection - what's in a name?

Of course I wouldn't be naively thinking that I should buy a name. Platinum and gold sounds nothing to me.

but even if I want all the features, which is gold, costs me 4xx. And platinum costs me 5xx. The difference of 4xx and 5xx is not huge but 4xx itself is huge. So after all it is still very expensive to get all the new features.

You know, at the moment I buy Logos 4, I was planning to upgrade to Logos 5 wherever it is available, and I know that I have to pay. But I was expecting 1xx. I think logos might have change the contents included in the same named package too much (sorry I didn't compare it thoroughly so I don't know exactly what is missing and what's added), so that the upgrade cost becomes too much.

The point is this, this upgrade price surprises me too much, and the time surprises me too, so I didn't got the money to upgrade. Do you see this? I am not saying Logos can't get money for the resources what they are worth but I am saying they should do a better marketing strategy to help getting my money. I am not expecting it that much, and that soon. So how could I prepare that amount of money for it?

i remember from the Logos 3 days they release a couple of Logos 4 beta first to let people expecting it. I might remember it wrongly though. But if it is right, why not do it this time?

To put it even more simply, help me to persuade my wife to spend that much money to get all the new features. You know, I need to get her approval, as every good husband does.

Posts 885
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 1:45 PM

Mike Binks:

Hi Kolen

Yes, but I have a poor Internet connection, so I watched the videos in 5 pieces, loading it 5 or more times.

well may be Logos expects its users all get great Internet... But at that moment I really wish it was not a video but a text.

and, the video is not specific enough, one can only get a vague idea. I saw that demoed a feature about the search on the words from the same root (cognate) but it is so brief so I don't know exactly what's that and how it's performing. Again this is a deal maker for me. If it turns out as useful as I imagined it too be, I would spend whatever necessary for me to get it.

so any more specific introduction to Logos 5?

thanks.

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 1:48 PM

Kolen Cheung:
But I was expecting 1xx.

That is the root of the problem, that is the normal range one would expect from an upgrade.  There is no debate that the content is worth 4xx or 5xx (probably much more!!), but this is just too large of a jump for most people to pay for an "upgrade". Logos should have changed the content of the packages much more conservatively so these large price increases would not have been necessary.

Posts 205
LogosEmployee
Kent Hendricks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 1:49 PM

Kolen Cheung:

Mike Binks:

Hi Kolen

Yes, but I have a poor Internet connection, so I watched the videos in 5 pieces, loading it 5 or more times.

well may be Logos expects its users all get great Internet... But at that moment I really wish it was not a video but a text.

and, the video is not specific enough, one can only get a vague idea. I saw that demoed a feature about the search on the words from the same root (cognate) but it is so brief so I don't know exactly what's that and how it's performing. Again this is a deal maker for me. If it turns out as useful as I imagined it too be, I would spend whatever necessary for me to get it.

thanks.

You may want to check out the main features page: http://www.logos.com/features

From there, you can learn more about each new feature. The pages are detailed, and have lots of screenshots. Hope this helps.

Posts 27775
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 1:50 PM

Kolen Cheung:
To put it even more simply, help me to persuade my wife to spend that much money to get all the new features. You know, I need to get her approval, as every good husband does.

Smart man. Smile

Kolen Cheung:
The point is this, this upgrade price surprises me too much

Just for clarification: It doesn't matter what base package you currently own… you can update to ANY base package (even the least expensive one). You will keep your current resources and add to them the new contents of the new package.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 1:54 PM

Additional thoughts, this is really too bad. I still believe that Logos is the best overall bible software out there, but moves like this dampen people's support of the product. I was a real Logos Fan Boy from 1.6 up until 4.0. Then the botched 4.0 launch really threw cold water on my enthusiasm.  I can't believe the same thing is happening again! This was so unnecessary.

Posts 8
Fred Myer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 1:56 PM

There is a  huge user base who have been with Logos over many years and have spent over $4,000 in books.  Today seems like a anti-Christmas theme. 

We should have the and I will use the word, "RIGHT" to get an upgrade on Version 5, without buying additional items.  I don't kow about other people but I have been unemployed and the economy is not doing well. 

So Bellingham has come up with an idea to have their loyal followers to pay more $Money$.  Seems like the greed factor to me.

Posts 98
Tim Hogan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 2:03 PM

On the upgrade page why is the 5 circled around it shaded out even though you are looking at all in, say, the portfolio upgrade page?

Some have a little person icon shaded out as well and I don't own them, does it mean that it doesn't currently come with this.

When I figure on everything, it seems like a win win situation, but wondering about this.

Posts 885
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 2:32 PM

Kent Hendricks:

Kolen Cheung:

Mike Binks:

Hi Kolen

thanks.

You may want to check out the main features page: http://www.logos.com/features

From there, you can learn more about each new feature. The pages are detailed, and have lots of screenshots. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I don't know if it's only me or not, I can't get that link before. Whenever I click learn more, it only gives me a video. If this is not an isolated issue, may be Logos need to make it easier to discover this.

And the single feature interests me is this: "unearth root words and lemma". But from the description, I didn't know much about it,

And also "crunch words by numbers". It sounds related to the cognates as well but no details on it.

so one very crucial feature for me is this, am I able to:

Do a search on a certain cognate group and display all the results of occurance on that root in the range interested.

And an easy way to sort out the different lemma from the same cognate in the search.

May be the others won't know how important this is but one of the elder I knew spend big money developing his own software to solely do it. I use it and its great but if logos integrates it then it is much more faster. Currently if I am doing this I need to turn on an old windows machine (I'm using Mac but that software work best on old windows like windows 98 or XP) and on my Mac I run logos and sync everything manually (studying the same word, passage on both platform) which is too slow.

Posts 885
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 2:38 PM

Another feature I'm interested in is create reverse interlinears. This is also a feature the elder I mentioned was doing in his software, I really wanted to help him doing it in Logos. Does that means I can create my only Chinese reverse interlinear where the main text is the Chinese Union version which is now in public domain?

Posts 9097
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 2:47 PM

Gordon E. Kay:

There is a  huge user base who have been with Logos over many years and have spent over $4,000 in books.  Today seems like a anti-Christmas theme. 

We should have the and I will use the word, "RIGHT" to get an upgrade on Version 5, without buying additional items.  I don't kow about other people but I have been unemployed and the economy is not doing well. 

So Bellingham has come up with an idea to have their loyal followers to pay more $Money$.  Seems like the greed factor to me.

Gordon, thanks for chiming in. First, as has been said quite often here, there will be a free software upgrade at some point. It is unChristmas feeling to think today was Christmas and suddenly you find out you have to wait some more. But after a wait the free L5 will be available.

Of course, some of the new features won't work unless you do the minimal crossgrade which is coming but not available now.

Bellingham needs to pay the developers and stay in business. You and I might not agree with how they handled this, but I would not say they are wrong to offer upgrades in which they can recoup some development costs.

Again FREE is coming. Almost free is also coming. So there will be a Christmas at some point.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 5
Justn Cho | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:27 PM

I did not write this for criticizing Logos company.

I really thank Logos for their support and hard works for providing a good software and service.

I wrote this article for two reasons:

1) We, customers, need to be more generous and polite to express our opinion as the disciples of Jesus Christ.

2) I want Logos to understand why people became uncomfortable. It is not just a policy or strategy.

It is emotional disappointment from the way the Logos announced their strategy.

I know Logos has a good RETURN policy, and free upgrade is coming, and the future support for Logos 4 is sure.

I really thank for your service!!!

But, I think many customers wanted to listen clearly

to those good Return policy and free upgrade, and future support before Logos suddenly announced Logos 5

rather than customers got surprised and complained emotionally and finally get these good information later.

I hope and pray that this happening may help both the customers and company to understand each other more and to grow in the Lord!

Posts 93
Fab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:59 PM

Hey Mick, I just want to get the Logos 5, that's all. Why? Because of the new functionalities... And you see, it's hard for someone to understand why I would downgrade to Gold to get the Logos 5 upgrade on my Platinum library... If that's what I have to do, you can grant me the fact that's it is very strange and illogical. You have to separate the Logos 5 upgrade with the Library upgrade to make it logical. And I am not saying 'more simple,' because costumer are not stupid I think. I mean, the worst thing is to leave costumers the feeling that they are stupid. And if a whole community does not understand something, there is a problem on Logos site and policy, thus, it is not a misunderstanding on the costumer's side. I hope you get my point.

Posts 98
Tim Hogan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 4:44 PM

Ok, I just figured it out, on the upgrade chart, the faded circle with 5 and with the faded icon person means that I'm invisible, Thanks folks, I got that one on my own, blessings

Posts 4
Alex Dolin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:36 PM

Justn-that is just the thing, they honestly have not forgotten about Logos 4...all Logos 5 is, is the refinement and improvement of Logos 4. All the features and "bugs" of Logos 4 are fixed and bettered in Logos 5, it is pretty amazing!

Posts 397
T Gerold Castle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 7:16 PM

Bob has officially posted his intentions on the full roll out. Minimum crossgrade is addressed as well as the FREE engine.

Patience is, again, the key.

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/58259.aspx

In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle
**If we will do God's work, in God's way, at God's time, with God's power, we shall have God's blessings!!**

Posts 1
Donnie Keele | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 7:28 PM

Fredc:

I think we need to step back and think about this issue. I agree it may have been a mistake to use the same package names that were used in L4. But an appropriate analogy may be my old 1968 Mustang.

Up until about ten years ago my wife and I had a 1968 Mustang. It orginally came with nothing but an AM radio and did not have A/C, power locks, power seats, etc. As Ford upgraded and chnaged the design and features of the Mustang should I have expected or been entitled to free upgrades to the new features or technology? Of course not.

Logos has spent money developing and producing new resources and technology for Bible study. They have generously offered discounts to existing users that take prior investments in their products into consideration. But if you want the new products you will have to pay something. If you want the new features you will have to pay something. That's how they can recoup the cost of what they have done and have cash flow to do more in the future. If not that, where will the money come from?

Now I'm going to go compare the features in my 1999 Ford truck with the new 2013's to see if I can talk Ford into giving me a free upgradeWink

The main difference is that Ford tells it's customers that a new model is coming out well before it releases it so that customers who bought a car two months ago won't be shocked that a new model is here for the same price...I would have waited if I'd have known. There is no way they developed a whole new version in 60 days but the sales rep said nothing about any kind of up-coming release.

Logos4 does everything I need and ultimately all I really NEED is a Bible period. In that regard my salvation is in no way effected...but perhaps Logos could learn to communicate with its loyal customers a little better...buyer's remorse is no fun at all...

Posts 51
Lloyd Wicker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:08 PM

Wise words Gau. Wish others could understand this. I've downloaded the upgrade and am very happy. Logos did a great job and their staff is working hard to serve their customers. But much like the church, you won't make everyone happy. Much of the animation I've read today makes me sad. If anyone at Logos is reading this, know that there are many who love and appreciate what you do. People in the church will always complain when they're unhappy and rarely speak up when they're happy. I'm sorry Logos. Keep up the good work...and thanks for your tireless commitment to serve us. You make my life much easier and enjoyable...and not only do my wife and kids benefit from that...but my church does too. 

Rev. Lloyd Wicker - Crossroads Leadership Coaching

MacBook Pro - 2.3Ghz Intel Core i5 - 8GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 - MacOSX Mountain Lion - Crucial 512GB SSD - Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB

Page 3 of 9 (162 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS