Catholic Library = Verbum

Page 4 of 9 (161 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
This post has 160 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 26857
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 7:40 PM

Dan DeVilder:
 MJ will have to answer that one.

The biggies are that we can use now is to have the Verbum blog on our homepage and have an brand icon in Latin rather than Greek!!!!Big Smile I'm waiting to see what they will bo for the Byzantines - Orthodox or Uniate. It seems like they should should get the Greek. For calligraphical reasons I hope the Nestorians get Chinese ,,,

We will eventually be able to have Bible Facts and Logos Controlled Vocabulary include the deuterocanonicals. Beyond that, I really don't know. I suspect the primary difference is the resources that appeal to us - us being Jewish, Catholic, Anglican, Orthodox, Lutheran, Eastern Orthodox, many mainline Protestants, many evangelicals, some Pentecostals, Mormons ....

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 7:52 PM

MJ. Smith:
have an brand icon in Latin

ego covetum.  (I have no idea what I am really saying, but maybe you can still get the point)  I WANT ONE!!!!

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 2419
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 8:01 PM

MJ. Smith:

The biggies are [...]

Hope they let us set the flags to ALL.  If all I do is hear my side I will never grow. 

Posts 41
Frank Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 8:10 PM

MJ. Smith:

... have an brand icon in Latin rather than Greek!!!!

Actually, I would prefer Latin AND Greek, just like the texts running around the top of St. Peter's Basilica.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 8:22 PM

MJ. Smith:
I'm waiting to see what they will bo for the Byzantines - Orthodox or Uniate. It seems like they should should get the Greek. For calligraphical reasons I hope the Nestorians get Chinese ,,,

I think before we see Chinese, or even a substantial effort towards the Eastern churches, we'll see דבר for Jews (with a Star of David in the icon instead of the cross -- the colours are already rightSmile). Only problem is the name is already taken.

Off topic: Talking about Eastern churches, may I encourage everyone to say a prayer for the just elected Coptic pope. He'll need it. The Swedish Copts seem pleased. He's been here.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 192
LogosEmployee
Mike Estes - Logos | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 9:29 PM

A couple of other differences with the Verbum desktop software, other than what MJ said and the obvious resource differences, are the default order of the bibles and the default lectionary.  I'll look to see what else is different if they added anything since I last tested it.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 3:16 AM

There are several differences no in the Verbum setting.  The Verbum blog feed option on the home page appears. You'll notice three automatic library segments have been added, Catechism, Church Documents, and Church Fathers. You see these when you click "Entire Library" a the top of the Library panel.

The default priorities are different, the default passage guide is different. I have been told there are other difference here and there of a relatively small nature. Logos is also planning on future updates that will develop Verbum much further., I guess it is up to us to discover them! Future enhancements are coming too.

Posts 37
Nick Pisciotti | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 5:56 AM

Mike Estes - Logos:

A couple of other differences with the Verbum desktop software, other than what MJ said and the obvious resource differences, are the default order of the bibles and the default lectionary.  I'll look to see what else is different if they added anything since I last tested it.

And just to clarify, simply typing "set verbum to yes" makes the change? 

Posts 235
Brian Losabia | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 8:39 AM

I think that it might be a good idea to have a link to the Catechism of the Catholic Church Collection accessible from the main Verbum page.  The CCC bundle is a gem, and even though it is still based on the L4 engine (I guess?), it's a nice starter package for people like me who were previously unfamiliar with Logos; and even if people do not upgrade their libraries after using the CCC bundle, it's still a useful and powerful little library by itself.  Maybe stick the CCC bundle in a sidebar to dissociate it from the L5-based Verbum products?

Thanks Logos for the awesome products!  Your software has surely enriched my faith, and y'all are much appreciated.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 4:19 PM

Stephen Kerr:

Hi,

I asked a related L5-Verbum question on a different post but then I saw this thread in reference to Verbum and thought it would be better posted here.

Just now learning about L5 and Verbum...I have L4 and the Catholic Scholars base package.  I know that Bob has stated that we will not have to pay for a resource twiice.  I have purchased a number of volumes on top of the base package I have...encyclicals, Pope Benedict's series, various medieval writings and commentaries, both of the PBI series (OT and NT), etc.  My question is related to how I find out what resources I would actually get and have to pay for if I upgraded to L5 and one of the new Verbum base packages...like Capstone?

It's not obvious to me on the website how that works.  And I certainly don't want to pay for something twice.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi everyone,

At the risk of stirring the pot a little more....

I wanted to follow-up on this post with some additional information.  I spent the better part of the day copying and pasting into an Excel spreadsheet the comparison chart for the Verbum base packages.  I included everthing from the Scripture Study, Master, and Capstone lists (excluded Basic and Foundations).  I added a column for My Library and painstakingly marked off which resources I had from the list.  As you would guess, there were some things in the Verbum base packages that I didn't have and some additional things that I have that the Verbum base packages don't.

From this point I was able to go back to my account information and look at the reciepts for the Catholic Scholar's base package and several other packages( Papal Encyclicals, Joseph Ratzinger Collection, PBI Old and New Testament Collections, Medieval Commentary on the Psalms, etc.) that I have purchased that are part of the new Verbum base packages.  (As mentioned...not everything that I have is in a Verbum base package and I was careful not to include those costs.  I also excluded taxes for everything).  I realize that this may not be 100% perfect, but I was expecting to get within 20% of what was being presented to me as an upgrade offer.

Not even close.  Surprise

It would appear to me...not knowing exactly how Logos is calculating the updgrade, that something is wrong in the math for the upgrades on the website.  Keep in mind that we are not paying for resources twice and that there is no charge for the software engine....that's what I've read from Bob's posts and others.

I'm not comfortable here.

Blessings,

Steve

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 4:35 PM

Stephen Kerr:
It would appear to me...not knowing exactly how Logos is calculating the updgrade, that something is wrong in the math for the upgrades on the website.  Keep in mind that we are not paying for resources twice and that there is no charge for the software engine....that's what I've read from Bob's posts and others.

Because the base packages are significantly discounted, you don't get full credit for existing purchases.Buying as a base packages means you get a discount of between 80% and 90% compared to buying the resources individually). The consequence of this heavy discounting is that you obviously don't get full credit for resources you already own. So presumably Logos works out the value of all the resources you already own, then discounts that amount by the same amount that the overall base packages is discounted by (or something close to it, at least).

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 4:54 PM

Mark Barnes:

Stephen Kerr:

Because the base packages are significantly discounted, you don't get full credit for existing purchases.Buying as a base packages means you get a discount of between 80% and 90% compared to buying the resources individually). The consequence of this heavy discounting is that you obviously don't get full credit for resources you already own. So presumably Logos works out the value of all the resources you already own, then discounts that amount by the same amount that the overall base packages is discounted by (or something close to it, at least).

However, if you call a sales rep, you can get full credit for things bought in the last month, and possibly a bit longer than that. See my post at http://community.logos.com/forums/p/58108/417160.aspx#417160.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 5:10 PM

Mike Estes - Logos:
I'll look to see what else is different if they added anything since I last tested it.

Thanks. A question that came to mind in another thread is: what about the new community ratings? Are they a battleground between those who love Catholic resources and those who hate them, or have they been separated according to setting?

Dominick Sela:
You'll notice three automatic library segments have been added, Catechism, Church Documents, and Church Fathers. You see these when you click "Entire Library" a the top of the Library panel.

I don't quite understand. Can you show a screeshot?

Dominick Sela:
the default passage guide is different.

How?

Dominick Sela:
I guess it is up to us to discover them!

Or suggest them!Wink

MJ, will you make a note about putting all these differences somewhere on the Wiki at some point?

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 5:15 PM

Deleted due to embarrassment...

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 192
LogosEmployee
Mike Estes - Logos | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 5:22 PM

fgh:

Mike Estes - Logos:
And point out areas on where we can improve here.

Please try to get Catholic Vyrso books tagged as Catholic. It's absolutely impossible to find them.

Can I get some more context on this?  I'd like to report this but need more info.

I'm guessing this isn't what you are looking for:
http://vyrso.com/products/search?q=catholic&start=0&sort=rel&pageSize=30

fgh:

Thanks. A question that came to mind in another thread is: what about the new community ratings? Are they a battleground between those who love Catholic resources and those who hate them, or have they been separated according to setting?

Yeah, it appears to be like the Amazon type model, where reviews are going to be from everyone.  But... if you look at the "What's next for Faithlife" it looks like we'll at least once it gets implemented that we'll be able to filter by specific groups like say perhaps Verbum.  But I don't know if or when it will get implemented.

https://faithlife.com/whatsnext

https://www.logos.com/media/_faithlife/SharingAndRecommending.pdf

Posts 192
LogosEmployee
Mike Estes - Logos | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 5:33 PM

fgh:

Brian Losabia:
Maybe stick the CCC bundle in a sidebar to dissociate it from the L5-based Verbum products?

I don't understand. All resources in L5 will be 'L5 products'.

I think the response more about giving higher visibility to the CCC bundle than it has now due to the Verbum product being on the pages.  I think I remember that before that URL was just a filter into the products page rather than it's own set of pages similar to the other V5 pages separate from Verbum.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 5:40 PM

Mike Estes - Logos:
I think the response more about giving higher visibility to the CCC bundle than it has now due to the Verbum product being on the pages.  I think I remember that before that URL was just a filter into the products page rather than it's own set of pages similar to the other V5 pages separate from Verbum.

Ah! Of course. I was thinking Verbum homepage in the software itself.Embarrassed Too tired, I guess...

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 12
Steve Egge | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 6:18 PM

Although I perfer the greek and hebrew (don't understand either but that is the origional language) and my latin is limited to 2 years in high school (all gaul is devided into 3 parts from fresman and sophmore years at a Jesuit HS) and prior alterboy experience, it would be nice to have Verbum expand the latin capabilities. It would help me better understand some of the liturgy. 

Not trying to Hijack the thread but  I think the new lectionary made a huge mistake with "chalice" for "cup" which started with the the Douay-Reims Bible. I cringe every time I hear it  ... it isn't the word christ used looking at the greek.

Will be interesting to see how Verbum grows ... hopefully we will get more modern texts ... although I find value in much of the current offerings.

Good to be on board ... Steve

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 6:41 PM

Mike Estes - Logos:

Can I get some more context on this?  I'd like to report this but need more info.

I'm guessing this isn't what you are looking for:
http://vyrso.com/products/search?q=catholic&start=0&sort=rel&pageSize=30

That only shows books with Catholic in the title or the description (including anti-Catholic ones!). And using http://vyrso.com/products/search?Genre=Christian+Group&Genre_Christian+Group=Catholic would require clicking Genre/More > Christian Group > Christian Group/More > Catholic -- only a) it's a terribly long procedure, b) who can figure out they should look under Genre???, and c) there is no Christian Group>Catholic. You haven't tagged a single book as Catholic. Even the Orthodox have been assigned at least one book (I think there were two, but one is now in prepub instead).

Thus, a) the Catholic books should be tagged as Catholic, and b) the Christian Group section shouldn't be under Genre, but should be in a section of its own, like it is on logos.com. (Preferably, it should also be renamed, on both sites, so that Jewish would fit there as well.)

For comparison, take a look at http://logos4catholics.org/index.php?topic=968.0. I've given up by now, but even so you will find quite a few Vyrso books in that thread that should have been tagged as Catholic (some now moved to prepub). 

And to make it worse, other categories Catholics might look for are also hard to find, missing or virtually unused. I don't remember if there is any Patristic tag anywhere, for example. Over all, the left column structure is very hard to use, in my opinion.

And while you're at it: it drives me nuts that if I click More to expand a section, check out a subsection, and then return to the page, then the section is collapsed again. Can you please make it stay open. (Both Logos and Vyrso pages, I believe.)

You won't sell any books if people can't find them. Wink And if Catholic books don't sell, that will be used as an excuse not to add more Catholic books, or at least not to make it a priority. And we want more Catholic books to be a priority, right?

(I've sent two or more e-mails about this, but never received any reply, as far as I remember.)

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 6:49 PM

Mike Estes - Logos:

fgh:

Yeah, it appears to be like the Amazon type model, where reviews are going to be from everyone.

I guess I'm not the only one who misinterprets Logos software vs Logos webpage.Smile I meant the community ratings in the software Library.Wink

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 4 of 9 (161 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS