Recent Purchase of L4, Now L5 Available?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5
Jacob Abshire | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:09 AM

I purchased Logos 4 about 2 weeks ago. Is there any help for me to get Logos 5? I still don't understand the packages, but I want to know where I stand first. I do want to benefit from the new "core" software even if I am not benefitting from newer book downloads. Can anyone explain to me my options, if any?

Posts 2395
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:14 AM

Welcome to Logos and the forums.

Logos does have a 30 day return policy.  So you could return L4 and purchase L5 if you wanted to.  If you decide to do that, make sure to check out the difference between the resources you would get in the two packages because sometimes they change.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:17 AM

I second that - check carefully that any key resources you like in your Logos 4 base package haven't been removed from the corresponding Logos 5 base package.  By way of a single example, the Pillar New Testament Commentary set was included in the Logos 4 Platinum base package, but is no longer available in the Platinum Logos 5 base package.*

* My post assumes you are considering returning your L4 base package in full and buying a brand new L5 base package - rather than moving from one to the other by way of upgrade.

Posts 72
Zachary Oglesby | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:20 AM

Jacob Abshire:

I purchased Logos 4 about 2 weeks ago. Is there any help for me to get Logos 5? I still don't understand the packages, but I want to know where I stand first. I do want to benefit from the new "core" software even if I am not benefitting from newer book downloads. Can anyone explain to me my options, if any?

I am not saying that this is the case today, but I purchased Logos 3 just a few weeks before 4 was release and received a free upgrade to version 4. Call Logos and see what they can do for you. It never hurts to ask.

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:20 AM

Jacob Abshire:

Hi Jacob!

First, I have learned always to talk with sales.  They can't/don't always do what I want, but they often work with me and are really cool.

Second, on the Logos website, if you compare base packages, you can select an option to see only the books "new to you."  I would not pay attention to the package name (totally redone, albeit retaining some of the old names), instead, look at the sale cost and the list of books you would be adding to help you make a decision if/what you would want to upgrade to.  Have you tried that yet?  let me know if I haven't heard you correctly.

some have said that some resources have slipped through the cracks and show as though you don't have them when you do.  I haven't noticed that yet, but you might be able to compare a list of your old with what Logos said is in the new, to double check.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 148
Colin Cameron | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:24 AM

Jacob,

I think your best bet is to call Logos and speak to a sales rep.

Logos does make the software available for free (just not at this time to spread out the downloads from the servers.)

Logos' pricing structure has always been about the books (at least as far as I can remember, and I bought my first Logos Bible Software some time in 1992-1993--first year of Seminary). Each time they come out with a new release for the software, they also put more books in the packages. The hope( I'm guessing) is that the books entice you to purchase a new package (which also comes with different functionalities based on the package).

Since Logos doesn't charge for the software, it must recoup the development costs somehow, and hence the costs for the books.

So (in theory at least) you can wait for the software to be available for download at some later date. You won't have some of the new functionality, but you'll have the software and all the books that you have now. Or, you can purchase an upgrade to your library (i.e. more books) and get the new software now (and potentially functionality based on the package).

Peace & Blessings,

Colin+

Posts 8610
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:25 AM

Dan DeVilder:
some have said that some resources have slipped through the cracks and show as though you don't have them when you do.  I haven't noticed that yet, but you might be able to compare a list of your old with what Logos said is in the new, to double check.
Be aware that differences mean that something has changed in the collection. Dan Pritchett explained the calculator. as well as the "differences."

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 5:29 AM

TCBlack:

Dan DeVilder:
Be aware that differences mean that something has changed in the collection. Dan Pritchett explained the calculator. as well as the "differences."

many thanks for posting this, TC, I just saw your other thread and was getting ready to post it here.  Glad you did.  that was helpful.  I hadn't seen Dan's comments yet.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS