Logos 5 Is Amazing

Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 47 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 9:02 PM

Andy Evans:
Clicking drop-down menus produces results in an immediate response (with the exception of the layout tab which is slightly sluggish, but acceptable).

In L4 the Layout dropdown speeds up considerably if you delete all those Application Closed snapshots. Have you tried that in L5?

EDIT: Btw, what about wildcard searches? Can you do even them in a reasonable time now?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2278
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 12:49 AM

Hi fgh,

fgh:
In L4 the Layout dropdown speeds up considerably if you delete all those Application Closed snapshots. Have you tried that in L5?

I will give that a try this afternoon. Just to clarify, the delay is noticeable, but definitely acceptable. It is just more noticeable because everything else is so responsive.

fgh:
EDIT: Btw, what about wildcard searches? Can you do even them in a reasonable time now?

I have not messed around with wildcard searches as yet, but ran a test one on lov*. I have a moderately large library (6,500+ resources) and it took 8.15 seconds. I have attached the screenshot below. Let me know if you want me to run a specific wildcard search as a point of comparison,

Posts 10634
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 2:49 AM

fgh:

Haven't tried that, but just experimented with the Layouts menu. It opens in less than 2 seconds for me.

BTW: We discussed typing speed in Notes in another thread. Just wanted to let you know that this has been corrected in SR-3. In testing, I quit typing my test string and started pounding the keyboard with both hands and still could not produce a lag between typing and display.

Posts 10634
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 3:01 AM

Andy Evans:

fgh:

I have not messed around with wildcard searches as yet, but ran a test one on lov*. I have a moderately large library (6,500+ resources) and it took 8.15 seconds.

6,700 resources—Library takes 4 seconds to display

Ran Basic search on Entire Library: Everything was done in less than 8 seconds. Of course, that was only displaying one page. However, switching pages was practically instantaneous.

Doing a Bible Search in the ESV: First screen display was up in less than 3 seconds. Total display available in about 12. The search itself took 0.42 seconds for 774 results in 678 verses.

Switch from blank layout to Home screen took 7 seconds first time, instantaneous after that. Refresh Home screen (F5) also took 7 seconds. Any other time-consuming L4 operations you want us to try?

This thing is fast.

Posts 2235
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 5:29 AM

Jack,

The opening of the layouts section seems to be slower than L4... about 6 seconds.  Do you find this to be the case as well?

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 5:45 AM

John Fidel:
The opening of the layouts section seems to be slower than L4... about 6 seconds.  Do you find this to be the case as well?

I am not Jack, but I find that L5 consistantly opens the layout section in 5 seconds (I have an old computer BTW). I would like it faster, but it does not seem slower than L4. Everything else BTW seems faster and I love the clear fonts! So Logos 5 for me is definately a Yes.

Posts 10259
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 10:42 AM

Keith Larson:
So Logos 5 for me is definately a Yes.

Yes!

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 232
AndyTheGreek | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 11:35 AM

I'm happy with the upgrade - I just went to the package that seemed closest to the one I had and got, what I think, was a good upgrade + new resources, for a good price.

One of my main study pc's is still XP, but it downloaded the new Logos5 resources making this a decent upgrade for the Logos 4 library as well.

I first started using Logos just before V4 arrived and remember being a bit concerned about the manner of the v4 rollout. But I now appreciate that Logos is trying to keep up with technology and Logos 5 on mybVista/Windows 7 pcs seems excellent.

So, for a modest price, I got:

Plenty of new resources on my Logos 4 installation and iPad

Plenty of new resources plus new features on my Vista/7 machines.

Sure, Logos could have been a bit more upfront and detailed about the v5 release, but I trust this company enough to know they are not going to do anything that leaves me worse off. Indeed, I consider this upgrade t be a WIN!

Andy

Posts 232
AndyTheGreek | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 11:35 AM

I'm happy with the upgrade - I just went to the package that seemed closest to the one I had and got, what I think, was a good upgrade + new resources, for a good price.

One of my main study pc's is still XP, but it downloaded the new Logos5 resources making this a decent upgrade for the Logos 4 library as well.

I first started using Logos just before V4 arrived and remember being a bit concerned about the manner of the v4 rollout. But I now appreciate that Logos is trying to keep up with technology and Logos 5 on mybVista/Windows 7 pcs seems excellent.

So, for a modest price, I got:

Plenty of new resources on my Logos 4 installation and iPad

Plenty of new resources plus new features on my Vista/7 machines.

Sure, Logos could have been a bit more upfront and detailed about the v5 release, but I trust this company enough to know they are not going to do anything that leaves me worse off. Indeed, I consider this upgrade t be a WIN!

Posts 10634
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 2:13 AM

John Fidel:

Jack,

First action after restart of L5, the layouts menu opened in 3 seconds on my six year old Mac Pro (2 x 2.66Mhz dual core Intel Xeon with 11 GB RAM)

For me, that was a good bit faster than L4.

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 2:49 AM

This is is nice feature that I just noticed:

Posts 4695
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 2:52 AM

David L Bailey:

Now that is a huge step forward not only in facility but in marketing.

I predict that this addition will drive more sales than all the work on L5!

It presents me with a purchasing opportunity just at the point at which I am vulnerable.

Posts 6490
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 3:15 AM

Mike Binks:
It presents me with a purchasing opportunity just at the point at which I am vulnerable.

Resist Mike, be strong. Sounds like you need to join me in a twelve step Logos Addiction Anonymous. Did I just say that. I am not an addict. I can stop any time I want. Big Smile

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 6490
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 4:14 AM

fgh:

I just noticed that I have layouts dating back to 2009. Is there a fast way to delete them in a group?

It would be good if Logos could give us some option (like history in browsers) to determine how long we want to keep our layouts.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 22223
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 4:17 AM

Hi Lynden

Lynden Williams:
I just noticed that I have layouts dating back to 2009. Is there a fast way to delete them in a group?

Not reallySad

This was recently discussed in http://community.logos.com/forums/t/57895.aspx. Scott came up with an approach to speed it up a little at http://community.logos.com/forums/p/57895/412057.aspx#412057

Graham

Posts 218
Dennis Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 4:23 AM

David Beard:

Logos has always been a company you could trust...

Really, are we talking about the same company who put out a half-way logos 3 app for mac users and a product called Logos 4 which never came to maturity and I'm supposed to trust that Logos 5, which has secretly been in the works when staff and effort should have been placed at getting the previous version right, will finally be the product we've all been waiting for. I'm going to be hard pressed to believe that. I've pretty much lost all confidence in Bob and Logos to deliver on any promises and cannot see shelling out any more money when I was never provided the promised product I previously purchased. Logos 5 with all it's bells and whistles, not a trimmed down engine,  should be offered completely free to all Mac users with a big apology for the last several years of  the Alpha & Beta testing fiasco and unmet promises. Logos, the bible study program I used to love and promote before L4, is nothing but a glorified library resource to me now as I've had to turn to another trusted Mac bible study app which delivers on what it promises whether it's as powerful as Logos or not at least it does what I need and the company behind it I has won my trust as one dedicated to it's product and it's customers.

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 4:28 AM

Lynden Williams:

Perhaps they should do something like they now have for Documents: allow multi-select and right-click Delete:

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 4:35 AM

I didn't know the Documents could be viewed categorically by clicking on "Type".  Learned another thing about L5 today.  Thanks Rosie.

Posts 10634
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 5:00 AM

David L Bailey:

I didn't know the Documents could be viewed categorically by clicking on "Type".  Learned another thing about L5 today.  Thanks Rosie.

Additionally, if you shift-click on another column, your results will be sorted by that column while still retaining the original type selection

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 1:43 PM

Jack Caviness:
Haven't tried that, but just experimented with the Layouts menu. It opens in less than 2 seconds for me.

That's slower than L4 is for me...

David L Bailey:

That's really nice. Does the link go to the correct product page?

Lynden Williams:
I just noticed that I have layouts dating back to 2009. (...)

It would be good if Logos could give us some option (like history in browsers) to determine how long we want to keep our layouts.

Are those named or unnamed? Named should stay until you delete them. Unnamed are supposed to be automatically deleted after a couple of weeks, which has always worked for me, but it looks like there may have been some bug at some stage because a few people have reported having hundreds of unnamed layout snapshots.

Rosie Perera:
Perhaps they should do something like they now have for Documents: allow multi-select and right-click Delete:

I wish multi-select before doing something worked in all places where you'd expect it. That said, I don't think named layouts should be deletable from the right column at all. They should only be deletable from the left column, so that people realize they're deleting something they earlier wanted to have saved.

Jack Caviness:
Additionally, if you shift-click on another column, your results will be sorted by that column while still retaining the original type selection

Nice! Does it work in Library as well?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS