Official: Minimum Crossgrade and free engine download are coming!

Page 2 of 17 (331 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 330 Replies | 36 Followers

Posts 51
Preacherman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 7:56 PM

I have a question that I have not seen addressed. Bob (anyone) know if academic pricing status will reduce the package upgrade cost? (Platinum 4 to 5)

Posts 7
Nathanael King | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 8:13 PM

Thanks for this explanation, and your gracious responses despite all the negativity.  I appreciate that you take time to read the forums and address people's concerns.

Couple of quick thoughts/suggestions (totally acknowledging that you obviously know your business better than I do):

A.  I think one reason that people are being negative is because this strategy of releasing first to people who are willing to upgrade their libraries, while perhaps profit-efficient in the short-run, leaves the majority of your loyal customer base feeling like we're out in the cold unless we're willing to fork over some major cash.  While it's maybe profitable in the short-run, it's dampened my excitement about Logos 5 (and I'd suspect the same applies to others as well).  So instead of your customer base enthusiastically telling their friends about it, they're left being frustrated.  I suspect this will prove to be an unprofitable marketing strategy in the long run.

B.  The line between features and resources is becoming increasingly blurry, and this is something that needs clarity brought to it.  Especially considering that you probably can't expect your average user to understand the difference between a feature requiring a new data-set, a feature not requiring a new data-set, and a resource.

C.  Maybe it's just psychological since people never lose their resources, but the idea that someone could go from  Logos 4 Platinum to Logos 5 Starter is unappealing and understandably frustrating for folks.  For someone who's invested a ton in Logos 4 Platinum to go to Logos 5 Starter feels like you're starting all over again.  And on top of that, you have to trust the mysterious "upgrade customization engine" to give you a decent price when you decide to upgrade to Platinum again.  If you needed to revamp your bundles for marketing purposes, that's fine, but it would have been nice if you'd have done it in a way that allows people to maintain their current status.  The reality is that marketing is psychological and status matters to people. 

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.  Take it for what it's worth, and thanks again for your gracious response.  Looking forward to the minimal crossgrade.  Blessings!

Posts 44
Michael Kahler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 8:22 PM

Bob it would still be nice if Logos 5 would run after installing it.  I run Windows 7, a very widely used operating system, but am unable to use the program after downloading it and installing it.  This also overwrote my copy of Logos 4, so until this issue is fixed, I will not be able to use any of the books I've spent well over $10,000 for over the years.  Of course, I'll still be charged the same amount for the next several months for Logos 5 since I chose to make payments this time.

Posts 9097
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 8:29 PM

Michael Kahler:
Bob it would still be nice if Logos 5 would run after installing it.

Michael, how about turning on diagnostic logging and posting your log files after you try to restart Logos 5? The way to turn on logging and post logs is found in the link below:

Diagnostic Logging

Also, please post the logs in a new thread. Call it Logos 5 won't start or something like that.

Thanks. maybe we can help. There are also Logos developers standing by to help out with issues like yours.

(Many of us successfully use L5 in Windows 7.)

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 27774
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 8:29 PM

Michael Kahler:
Bob it would still be nice if Logos 5 would run after installing it.

Michael – First, welcome to the forums! Smile Sorry you are having troubles Tongue Tied

Please start a new thread in the L5 forum and post your logs. Explain your issue as clearly as possible. Have you tried starting to a blank layout? 

http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 33
Mark Nichols | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 8:36 PM

Phew. Thanks.

Posts 27774
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 8:41 PM

Mark Nichols:
Phew. Thanks.

Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 188
Si | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 8:44 PM

Preacherman:

I have a question that I have not seen addressed. Bob (anyone) know if academic pricing status will reduce the package upgrade cost? (Platinum 4 to 5)

I called sales today and asked the very same question.  They told me that there is not a discount for "academic pricing" status.  Thus, everyone receives the same deal.  The website's upgrade calculator is the best price that Logos will offer you.

Posts 51
Preacherman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:13 PM

Hey, thanks!

I wonder if the "upgrade" calculator really considers software one has purchased outside of the "base" packages? Price still is too high; have to wait for the Bob's deal I guess Smile

Just would kind-of like to try it out nowCrying

Blessings!

Posts 11
Andrew Buell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:17 PM

Thanks Bon, that helps a lot!

Pastor of Student Ministries

Emmanuel Baptist Church

Mount Vernon, WA

www.shepherdsnotes.com

Posts 44
Michael Kahler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:23 PM

Thanks Mark.  I did contact Logos and was routed to the technical help folks.  Just wanted to post the issue so that others would be aware of it.  Hopefully I will  hear something soon from Logos and can get back to the business of sermon preparation and Bible study preparation.

Posts 44
Michael Kahler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:26 PM

Hello Alabama,  I am waiting for a response at this time from the technical gurus at Logos.  Hope to be up and running sometime this weekend.  Thanks for the input, though!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:16 PM

Preacherman:
I wonder if the "upgrade" calculator really considers software one has purchased outside of the "base" packages? Price still is too high; have to wait for the Bob's deal I guess

Yes, the upgrade calculation includes credit for resources, which were purchased outside of  "base" packages.

Comparing upgrade prices with a couple friends found substantial differences.  Personally pondering Portfolio upgrade.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:45 PM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):

The current plan is that new data sets will only be available in base packages.

According to Bob's post earlier:

Bob Pritchett:

You'll soon be able to move to the Logos 5 engine at no cost at all. You'll even have an option for adding the coolest new data sets at a very reasonable cost.

I am basing my decision of upgrading on how and what we can buy as far as data sets go.  I can get 8 of the 9 data sets for a $204 upgrade, but the next step up for me to get all 9 would be $442.  While I want the Bible Sense Lexicon, I doubt if it is worth the $240 difference to me.  It would be nice to know if the data sets are going to be available individually or as a package.  I understand that a final decision may not have been made yet on how to offer these, but it would be nice to have an idea, if someone could shed some light on this...

"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell."  -  Beyond Our Suffering - AILD

Posts 40
Rick King | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:03 PM

I understand the costs involved in upgrading.  I can see the value of all the cool new resources being added and that if I were to buy them separate I would spent many times what the upgrade prices is.  I can appreciate the company's views and wanting to get back their investment in time and resources building this product.  I am on the fence about the upgrade.  I have only one that makes any sense currently.  As a Platinum 4 user, Gold or Platinum are the only viable choices.  You don't have a fully functional product with less than Gold.  It is missing what appears to be one data set but a sales rep informed me that it is actually missing three.  So, since I get a 15 percent discount to go with Platinum and no discount on Gold, it gives me a difference in cost between the two of only 120 dollars.  So, going from Platinum 4 to Platinum 5 is the only real choice.  I am patient enough to wait for the 100 dollar (hypothetical number) upgrade to give me all the data sets and the new engine.  However, my fear is that once I do this and find out that none of my old resources will be able to take advantage of all the new flashy whiz bang features and then say... oh, I changed my mind.  I want that Platinum upgrade still.  Only now, it will cost me 1000 with taxes instead of 750 to get there from here since that initial roll out discount has now expired.  Honestly if that happened, I would find a way to sell out and be out the door if that happened but I would hate to stick myself into a position like that needlessly.  I am not a huge fan of major changes.  Sometimes it is necessary but it sure does cause you to have lumps on your head from bouncing it off the desk and bald spots from pulling hair out.  :-)

Posts 1857
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:09 PM

Bob, your employees are still disseminating contrary information here 

Reply More
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Today 11:00 PM
Reply More
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Today 11:00 PM

Jose:

We do not plan to offer the Bible Sense Lexicon by itself: you'll need to purchase a base package/upgrade to Gold or above.

You can read more about it here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/58208.aspx

Quick Reply

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 127
Robert I | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:15 PM

So, as one who just bought this 5 months ago and am still making payments.... bummer.  Any chance that I get a break or should I just stop making payments and start over with another package?

Remaining in Him (1 John 2:28), Robert

Mac Book Pro, Windows 7 Professional, iPhone 4S, iPad 1

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 11:29 PM

Robert Iversen:

So, as one who just bought this 5 months ago and am still making payments.... bummer.  Any chance that I get a break or should I just stop making payments and start over with another package?

The package you bought originally is a different package than any available now and may even be a better package for you depending on your needs (several nice resources were in the previous packages that are no longer in the new packages).   Of course, if you find the current packages more to your liking, you should call sales to see what they can do for you.  If it's just features and/or datasets you want, then wait for the free engine download or the minimal crossgrade.

I don't think you should stop making payments.  That wouldn't be nice. Angel

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 52
Erwin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 12:40 AM

I would like to echo Tom Geswein's post

Posts 77
Dale Garman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 12:49 AM

I have no problem with your desire to pay the bills.  I have a big investment in content, and so want you to stay in business.  But I think this approach will not maximize your revenue.  I can't actually figure out what if anything to buy, so my wallet stays shut.  A fundamental proposition is that if you want to sell something, the buyer has to understand something about what they are buying.

I use many different kinds of software from vendors like Apple, Microsoft, Adobe and on and on.  I have never seen such a confusing upgrade.  I cannot answer a simple question.  If I want to upgrade what am I getting that is different?  That seems a big mystery.  Maybe it will all become clear at some point.  So I will wait on the sidelines and see.

Page 2 of 17 (331 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS