Annoyance: Logos Upgrade Page

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 568
Caleb S. | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:03 PM

Okay, so I was checking out the upgrade page for Logos 5 for myself and I see (after clicking New to you) grayed out and black dots. But there is no description for what those are representing, so it is rather confusing and annoying. Could there please be some sort of description/explanation for those dots? That would be very helpful.

Logos 8.7.0.0042 + Faithlife Connect | macOS Mojave 10.14.6 | Mid 2015 Macbook Pro 15" | 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1 TB SSD PCIe Express

Posts 568
Caleb S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:35 PM

It shows black dots in the "New to you" section....ones that I DON'T have....but it also shows the Grayed out ones. Hence my confusion.

Logos 8.7.0.0042 + Faithlife Connect | macOS Mojave 10.14.6 | Mid 2015 Macbook Pro 15" | 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1 TB SSD PCIe Express

Posts 1404
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 9:46 PM

They must be updating the page, or there is a bug. I cannot get to it from the the link that used to be on logos.com. When navigated by typing in the url, the upgrade page changed after clicking around a bit.

Posts 42
LogosEmployee
Nathan R. Elson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2012 10:51 PM

I apologize for the confusion on how the Upgrade Calculator works (this explanation also applies to the comparison chart). The black dots represent the resources/collections that are included in the selected base package and the grey dots are what are in the other base packages. Their are two icons also, a circle with a 5 that indicates the resources/collections that are new in Logos 5 and a circle with a person that indicates that the resource/collection is not currently unlocked (in its entirety) to your account (see http://community.logos.com/forums/t/58176.aspx for a brief explanation on what that means).

If you want to highlight what is included in another package choose the package by clicking on that image.

The information in the chart is based on what is in Logos 5 Portfolio as a way to compare what is included in each package.

• If you click the "New to you" filter the chart will only show resources/collections that you do not have full ownership for . This means their may be a few resources/collections that you own part of that will show up in the chart still; you still receiving an ownership discount for what you do own.
  • If you click the "New to 5" filter the chart will only show resources/collections that are in one of our new base packages that were not in previous generations base packages.

That being said, we are working to improve the functionality of the tool (as even when we look at it, the black dots don't always change with the selection right away) and adding more information to help make it more clear for users to understand.

Posts 42
LogosEmployee
Nathan R. Elson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 12:07 AM

The "New to you" filter does not effect pricing (neither does the "New to 5" filter) but I agree the UI does suggest that the filters should effect change there.

We will take this feedback into consideration as we seek to improve our website.

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 8:18 AM

Nathan R. Elson:
If you want to highlight what is included in another package choose the package by clicking on that image.
This was working hit and miss this morning. I started creating a reply to a user to help him make a purchase decision. After 45 minutes, I decided I could not make the post because the site wasn't functioning properly. Tongue Tied

EDIT: It seems to be working now. I am having difficulties with Safari (MAC) in the forums. Don't know if they are related... but the upgrade page is working in Safari at the moment.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 9:13 AM

Nathan R. Elson:
If you click the "New to you" filter the chart will only show resources/collections that you do not have full ownership for . This means their may be a few resources/collections that you own part of that will show up in the chart still; you still receiving an ownership discount for what you do own.

Thanks Nathan, this is helpful to me in calculating my potential upgrade. There were many resources that I partially own and wondered how much they affected the price I was given (e.g. I own 39 of the 40 NAC volumes and I own the John Owen collection (minus the vols on his Hebrews commentary; I do have many other partial collections as well). However, I do have items in my library that the calculator says I do not own; one that others have also noted are the Themelios Journals and I am a little confused over all the Lexham titles. I have 20 Lexham titles in my library, some of which match exactly by title and author but which the calculator says are not in my library (I believe that I have at least 2 titles that the calculator says I do not have); Rick Brannan did give me some clarification the other day concerning some of them. For the most part I like the way the calculator works.

Thanks for the clarification.

Posts 42
LogosEmployee
Nathan R. Elson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 10:31 AM

Daniel - we just updated the Themelios Journals so that may be part of the reason there. We are working on a way to easily flag partial ownership, full ownership, and no ownership (Instead of just no ownership) but not sure how granular we can get without taxing our servers (even more than this launch did). But we have something in the works.

I am glad you like the way it works!

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 8:08 PM

Nathan R. Elson:
The black dots represent the resources/collections that are included in the selected base package and the grey dots are what are in the other base packages.

Nathan, that does not appear to match what I'm seeing since I have black and Grey dots in the same column, and they may or may not be matched by resources in other columns.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 42
LogosEmployee
Nathan R. Elson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 8:41 PM

TC - this has been reported today as well internally and we are working towards a resolution. I apologize for all of the UI issues with this. We are working as fast as we can to get things fixed.

Regards.

Nathan

Posts 568
Caleb S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 8:54 PM

I'd like to suggest that Logos changes the dots for when we own part of or much of a collection so that the dot is half black half gray to show partial ownership of a collection....if it's not too much work for the developers.

Posts 42
LogosEmployee
Nathan R. Elson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 9:33 PM

Caleb - we have a fix in place for this that will be pushed out as soon as we can (not too far off from what you suggest). Thanks for the wonderful feedback and helping us make this a better more useable site.

Posts 48
Chris Rees | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 1:30 PM

Nathan,

can I add this LONG reply I put on another thread...

Kent,

my brain was in overtime whilst I slept and you voted last night (I'm in the UK!!) Seeing as you are a LOGOS employee and discussing the upgrade website, here are some thoughts from a former Systems Analyst and Designer (excuse the big-head...).

The main issue is usually twofold, 1) appropriate information 2) clarity of the communication of that information.

Regarding the upgrade discount calculator I (and I believe others) would like to see 1) WHAT we are paying for 2) A breakdown of this info. Let me suggest the following

Based on these assumptions:

The comparison chart uses “Print value”, most ‘buy it separately’ books also do so, otherwise they state Regular price. I assume the base value for all calculations to be the Regular Price ie what we would pay for it if it were to buy it as a Logos resource and it was not on sale.

New packages have their ‘regular price’ determined by the above method.

Logos resources bought from other vendors are treated as above.

It is stated that we are being given credit for the books we own against any given package. I am assuming this is 100% credit of the value as stated above, whether we paid the full ‘regular price’, a ‘sale price’, ‘academic pricing’, whether as part of a library, bundle or collection, this to include items on pre-pub or even community pricing. IE If we got the resource at a discount, then we are not penalised for this

It is now very simple!!

1)     Appropriate information

Logos have declared a price point for each of the new libraries thereby offering a discount off regular pricing for the products bought as part this larger ‘bundle’.

In order to ascertain the ‘upgrade price’ do the following

a)     Calculate value of new library package using ‘regular price’

b)     Calculate value of books in this library pre-owned by customer using ‘regular price’

c)     Calculate ‘credit’ given for these books (assumed 100% as nothing stated to the contrary)

d)     Calculate percentage of value pre-owned

e)     Apply percentage value of pre-owned to new package price

f)      Apply any further discount, ie 15, 20, 25% of higher end packages; 30% academic discount to this price

2)     Clarity of Information

This is important so that customers can SEE what is happening. All information should already be available in the book database, so the only coding is really ‘display’. The coding for part-series is minimal. It should be noted that this only needs to be done for the items in the base libraries, not all of Logos’ resources.

a)     The website should indicate this information in the popup box for each base package

b)     Each line item should show: base package value, pre-owned resource value

a.     Eg for NAC, I have 38 of the 40 volumes, therefore it might be $699      $630

This leaves Data sets and Features which are either FREE, ie available, but only used by resources supplied in the higher end libraries or they can be given a notional value which can be applied to the library value

In summary, I truly believe that if this were done, ALL our questions would be answered, we would know WHAT we are paying for and HOW the price has been calculated.

I love Logos, and recommend it to my friends, including the Bible College I attend.

I wish the best for the company and there endeavours to be seen to be honourable. Nothing has been done to intentionally mislead anyone, however, appropriate and clear information on the upgrade calculator would have been incredibly helpful in this regard.

Blessing to all,

Chris Rees

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS