Logos 5 and Logos 4 Cannot Coexist?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 124
GeoPappas | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 3 2012 6:16 AM

After reading some of the posts in regards to Logos 5, it seems that Logos 5 and Logos 4 cannot coexist on the same computer (without creating another account which means repurchasing resources).  Is that true?

If so, then how can one try out Logos 5 and then abandon it if they don't like it?  I was thinking that it would be a good idea to get the free version of Logos 5 (when it is available) and then try it out.  But it seems that installing Logos 5 would then overwrite Logos 4 and if I don't like Logos 5 then I might be stuck.

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 6:36 AM

Yes it seems to be true: Logos 5 fully replaces Logos 4 (at least on PC).

I think in technical terms, L5 is just L4 with a whole lot of work done to it. Unlike L3 which was a whole different animal.

On WIndows anyway, if you have the disk space, create a new user account and install L5 into there. Some of us did that at times so we could run L4 and L4 Beta at the same time. It also gave options if the Beta had issues, yet there was study or sermons people needed to still do.

Assuming your PC is up to it, its hard to see why L5 would not be all or more of the things you already like in L4. To my eyes, L5 is just the next major cycle in the L4 progress. Wait for the free engine in due course and it wont cost you anything to try it for free. Only caution against this is I dont know how long the current upgrade discounts might be on offer.

Posts 124
GeoPappas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 6:38 AM

JimT:
On WIndows anyway, if you have the disk space, create a new user account and install L5 into there.

But wouldn't I need to repurchase resources to do this?  Aren't resources tied to a user account?

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 6:38 AM

You don't need to repurchase the resources to have 2 installations of Logos: one Logos 4 and the other one Logos 5. You don't need 2 Logos accounts, what you need to do is to create 2 Windows accounts. You can install Logos 4 in one and Logos 5 in the second one. In Logos 4 however you will need to set automatic updates to NO. You will however have 2 sets of resources, synced over the cloud.

It is doable but a little bit complicated. My question would be, why would you do that? The only reason for keeping Logos 4 would be Windows XP OS. In this case you can have Automatic updates switched to ON and Logos will recognize your OS and not push Logos 5 to that OS. 

You have to understand that Logos 5 is just better, more developed Logos 4. Not the same case with Libronix 3 and Logos 4. It was quite different case.

Bohuslav

Posts 124
GeoPappas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 6:45 AM

Thanks for your reply.

JimT:
Assuming your PC is up to it, its hard to see why L5 would not be all or more of the things you already like in L4.

That is the way that ALL upgrades are SUPPOSED to work, but the reality is usually very different.  Logos 5 might be extremely buggy and therefore not usable on your computer.  Logos 5 might crash your computer on a regular basis.  Logos 5 might do things in a new way, which doesn't make sense to you.  Logos 5 might not be able to do things that Logos 4 is able to do.  Logos 5 might be extremely slow compared to Logos 4 (although early reports seem to indicate otherwise).  In other words, there are a variety of reasons why a person might want to try a new software version out and then decide that they don't want to continue using it.  In such cases, you need a backout/rollback plan.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 6:52 AM

GeoPappas:
After reading some of the posts in regards to Logos 5, it seems that Logos 5 and Logos 4 cannot coexist on the same computer (without creating another account which means repurchasing resources).  Is that true?

Observation: "another account" is a bit vague.  Personally am using one Logos.com account with several user accounts on Windows 7.  Logos 4 and Logos 5 are installed per user in Windows.  In contrast, Libronix 3 was installed once for all users in Windows.  With Libronix 3.0g, Logos 4.6a SR-2, and Logos 5.0 installed, have triplicate copies of my Logos library resources.  Each Logos installation has their own copy of resources and indexes.

Thankful fo option to use Logos 4/5 and Libronix 3 at the same time for one Windows user:

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS