Something's Broken in Logos 5.0 SR-3 (5.0.0.1820)

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 46
Dale Durnell, Retired | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 3 2012 10:53 PM

When Logos announced the release of version 5, it seemed like the right thing to do. I upgraded on my PC, went to the office and the upgrade was nearly instantaneous on my iMac. 

Today, my iMac said there was an update, so I updated again, and all seemed well. I came home tonight to be with the family, and I wanted to finish up somethings on my PC.

Logos 5 said there was an update (which I expected since my iMac got updated earlier today). I installed the update on my PC and Logos 5 is now acting like a boat anchor.It's slower than molasses in January

Now, I'll admit, I don't have the fastest PC in the world, it's only a 3.2ghz, i7 Quad Core, with 24 gb of RAM, running dual monitors. But, I don't have a solid state drive on the system :(

The latest update is so unresponsive I'm not getting any work done --

I normally open a setting that spans both monitors, but it keeps, arbitrarily closing the windows on the right hand screen, The "Layouts" feature is so sluggish, most of the time I can't get it to even open. Typing anything in anyfield is extremely slow -- I type and sit back and watch the field slowly fill.

Folks, Ver 5 when it first came was running sweet. It's had one update, and you're killing me. Guess I won't get anything done tonight, and it's nearly 1 o'clock in the morning (this is not a good time for Logos to go to lunch on me)

Dale 

Blessings,

Dale Durnell

Coming to you from Henryetta Oklahoma (45 miles south of Tulsa, and 85 miles east of OKC)

Posts 285
Luigi Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 3 2012 11:10 PM

Well that wouldn't be fun!   maybe you should get a SSD.   Just kidding!!

My only suggestion is - once you get it sorted is to not do auto upgrades for a couple of weeks - just in case - especially on machines you can't do without. 

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 4:50 AM

If it's slow in the morning, see if it is indexing. It may have been indexing some new resources that were downloaded. If this appears to be the case, the advice from Luigi to stop auto updates would be good until you know what you have and how it's working.

Indexing is a very resource intensive effort, but once through it's why huge searches can be done in a matter of seconds.

Posts 28246
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 4:54 AM

Dale - WHen you get a chance, please enable logging and post your logs (as an attachment… don't paste them!)

http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 46
Dale Durnell, Retired | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 12:42 PM

Good Afternoon Alabama (et al)

Earlier this morning, I thought I'd see if I could just roll back my System Restore and be ok. That didn't work -- it went back to before I installed Logos 5, but Logos 4 wouldn't start, So I closed everything out and ran my Logos 5 install script from the other day which put me back to running 5.0 SR-2 (5.0.0.1803) but I can't seem to get back to SR-3. However, SR-2 is still running verrrry slow on me Crying

I got to the church this morning and my Logos 5 on my iMac was running great, so I was able to finish what I needed before worship. I got back home and my Logos 5 on my fire breathing dragon of a PC is still running sluggishly (that's just being polite).

I enabled Logging for you and have attached the file to this message. Interestingly, as soon as I enabled logging (which I would have expected to have been a burden on the system) everything started running snappy again (I don't understand that). I didn't necessarily "shut off" the logging, but I simply started with the Ctrl Key down and didn't run the Script file.  Thanks for all the help -- I would sure like to get this resolved Smile Blessings, Dale 1057.LogosError.zip

Blessings,

Dale Durnell

Coming to you from Henryetta Oklahoma (45 miles south of Tulsa, and 85 miles east of OKC)

Posts 25605
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 1:04 PM

Rev Dale L Durnell:
I didn't necessarily "shut off" the logging, but I simply started with the Ctrl Key down and didn't run the Script file. 

There are many errors of type "Error    MethodBehaviorConverter    Type 'NamedObject' has no matching method " which Logos could assist with, because I don't have any such messages after 12 hours of running L5.

Is it responsive starting normally?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 248
Daniel Arnott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 1:20 PM

why the bejeepers with a spec like that you arnt using SSD!! Go grab one and use Macrium reflect to clone to it and enjoy your new pc!

Posts 46
Dale Durnell, Retired | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 5:51 PM

Well, when I had it built, SSD's were way to expensive -- now that the price has dropped, I am considering making some alterations in the configuration. But,thanks for asking, and for giving me the name of a product that will allow a migration to a different drive --

Dale

Blessings,

Dale Durnell

Posts 31
Owen Frethey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 8:28 PM

I also have this problem. I put in "Update Now" and it says there are no updates available. It's been like this for 2 days now. Everything seems to be working OK though!

Posts 28246
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 9:01 PM

Owen Frethey:
I also have this problem. I put in "Update Now" and it says there are no updates available. It's been like this for 2 days now. Everything seems to be working OK though!

Can you be more specific? Please create a new thread and outline the issue in detail. Wink

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 31
Owen Frethey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 10:01 PM
Sorry for my vagueness. I installed Logos 5 OK .(Logos Bible Software 5.0 SR-2 (5.0.0.1803) .
However when I type "Update Now" into the command box, the popup box says 'No Updates Available' and "No updates were found'!

I've tried changing my settings to automatic but still no joy.

PS I don't know how to start another thread. :)
Posts 25605
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 10:08 PM

Owen Frethey:
However when I type "Update Now" into the command box, the popup box says 'No Updates Available' and "No updates were found'!

Restart L5. If that doesn't work try the command  set update channel to default

Owen Frethey:
PS I don't know how to start another thread. :)

At the top right of the Forum page click "Write a new post"

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 31
Owen Frethey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 10:18 PM

Yay! Thanks Dave. That did it (set update channel to default) so I'm all set.

Posts 285
Luigi Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 4:55 AM

Also - just an observation from your logos.log file: there seems alot of "Syncing client" messages.

I assume this is sync'ing of your data to logos servers? not sure but that's what i'd assume that message meant.

If this is the case, is there a setting to stop sync'ing / uploading your data?  Maybe this would reduce problems too. 

- but I'm just guessing at this whole thing... but no one else has made a direct comment about your log files - so maybe this will stir someone up to tell me I'm wrong. :-)

Posts 46
Dale Durnell, Retired | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 6:27 AM

If anyone has a clue what's going on -- I'm attaching a new set of logs from this morning

Yesterday, after starting with logging turned on, all seemed to go well, all day. Speed and responsiveness was restored, I wasn't losing windows, and I could even name a layout.

This morning, I started Logos 5, I was back to sluggish behavior, Logos 5 started, but did not load the four open windows with all their associated resources on my second monitor, and I couldn't even name a layout -- that little dialog box never opened.

I opened with Logging enabled again, and for nowSad it's working again. 

BTW -- when I first reported this problem, I was running SR-3. Since I rolled back my system, and started over, I've not been able to install/update to anything beyond SR-2 (just can't get SR-3 loaded again). Not sure what that's all about either

Thanks, and blessings

Dale

8863.LogosError.zip

Blessings,

Dale Durnell

Posts 8603
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 6:36 AM

Rev Dale L Durnell:
I couldn't even name a layout -- that little dialog box never opened.
Looking at your logs, it appears there is a database issue. One of the databases, presumably the one that stores your layouts is a version ahead of what the program has, that is a partial problem.   The conflict likely exists because of the rollback.

Rev Dale L Durnell:
BTW -- when I first reported this problem, I was running SR-3. Since I rolled back my system, and started over, I've not been able to install/update to anything beyond SR-2 (just can't get SR-3 loaded again). Not sure what that's all about either
Does typing update now in the command bar initiate a download? AND what is shown in Help >> about for program version number.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 46
Dale Durnell, Retired | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 6:40 AM

Alas, typing "update now," or typing "update resources," even typing "set update channel to default" doesn't get me any closer to having SR-3 reinstalled.Sad

Dale

Blessings,

Dale Durnell

Posts 8603
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 6:41 AM

Dale,

I've been looking through the forums. This type of error used to occur with L4 as well. A potential and relatively simple solution is to open your purchase EMAIL and download the installer from the link they gave you. Then re install right on top of your existing installation. This ought to clean up any inconsistencies. 

For safety I would create a new restore point (on Windows/ don't know about MAC) before you do so.

EDIT: Just FYI, downloading the installer in this manner should download the freshest version.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 46
Dale Durnell, Retired | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 6:47 AM

Luigi,

I'm assuming all the sync'ing is related to the fact that when I open my desktop/layout, it's opening some 40 plus resources (bibles, commentaries, lexicons, dictionaries, etc). That's probably what that's all about -- but I'm only guessing

Dale

Blessings,

Dale Durnell

Posts 46
Dale Durnell, Retired | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 9:46 AM

Hi Thomas,

I'll do that this evening --

My iMac at the office is (so far) running without a hitch, it's just my Windows installation that's troublesome. And, I will set a restore point before I do anything. I'll post back after I do all that in a few hours

Blessings

Dale

Blessings,

Dale Durnell

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS