This MUST be changed

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 42 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 683
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 1:31 PM

nevermind

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 1:32 PM

Was a bit concerned when I first saw this thread since I rarely use ratings but expect them to behave a certain way since I do have a few collections based on ratings. But I see that the library view displays community ratings different than personal ratings, and the collections rule only takes personal ratings into account, so I don't really have a problem with this. Probably a better idea to have a separate fields for community ratings as with community tags, but it doesn't affect how things work either way.

Posts 25858
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 1:32 PM

David Ames:
Question: How long after receiving a resource do we have to rate it OUR WAY before community rating takes effect?
(but praise God that OUR settings are safe even it not shown)

The last part is true of your new (unrated) resources as they will be YOUR rating:0 by default until changed! Note that Logos have removed the implied collection of rating:0  and you can only select rating:1 thru 5 in the menus. To display YOUR unrated resources use rating:0 in the Find box (but they will be displayed with Community values).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 25858
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 1:48 PM

Todd Phillips:

If I use "rating:0", I see the resources that I have rated zero, but those entries show the community ratings (blue stars instead of no gold stars).

If Logos decided to change this, it's only a display change, not a database content change.

When we sort the Library by Rating Logos also have to stop sorting them by their community value.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1943
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 2:44 PM

I honestly don't understand why it would be so difficult to show the individual rating and the community rating. Individual rating is what factors into community rating, but the read-only display of community rating lets us see how it is rated more widely.

The other consideration in using our ratings to contribute to community rating is the fact that some folks use a specific rating value to denote a resource as unread. I saw this suggestion a while back - folks using a rating of 2 stars to indicate that they have not read the resource. While I'm inconsistent in doing that, I have done it. This would give numerous resources a rating unrelated to how a user might really view the resource.

Donnie

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 4:00 PM

Donnie Hale:
inconsistent
And some people rate a good resource with 1 start (#1 being the best) and other rate a good resource with 5 starts.

Posts 1943
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 4:33 PM

tom:
And some people rate a good resource with 1 start (#1 being the best) and other rate a good resource with 5 starts.

Anyone who rates their resources that way should have Logos silently uninstalled. ;) From iTunes to Amazon to everything else, star ratings are "more stars is better."

Donnie

Posts 2628
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 5:01 PM

Donnie Hale:

tom:

Anyone who rates their resources that way should have Logos silently uninstalled. ;) From iTunes to Amazon to everything else, star ratings are "more stars is better."

Donnie

Stars are dealt with in astronomy.  At night a number 1 star can often be seen even in the city while a number 5 star can only be seen far from the city lights. [and number 10 stars need lots of help under the darkest skys to be seen] The lower the number the better! The sun is about minus twenty six.  Those listed I.E. “”iTunes to Amazon to everything else”” are just WRONG – sorry   

[low numbers are more important under well defined rules in some circles]

[IMHO and that of all astronomers] [That is the feature MUST be changed - we can come up with many reasons]

Posts 2288
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 5:20 PM

Use this filter:  rating:>0

You display only your own star rating system.  

Everything works like before--only even better: I personally find access to community ratings helpful.

Posts 2288
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 5:25 PM

Unless you see the universe like David Ames, in which case you might try rating:<0 or perhaps rating:=SQRT -1  I haven't tried that yet.  

Surprise

Just kidding of course.  Actually I prefer David's system, but, sadly I never liked math that well.   

Posts 2288
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 5:29 PM

Oh one more thing I like.  If you filter by rating:=0  then you can see community ratings of all the books you have not rated.  

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 6:44 PM

Graham Owen:
I really do not want to have user ratings and tagging installed by default on my system, as a minimum this needs to be made an option so that I can disable it.

The user tagging is a separate column, isn't it? So can't you just right-click and uncheck it?

I agree the user ratings should be a separate column as well.

Graham Owen:
for privacy reasons I would actually also like to have the option to disable the upload of my personal rating and tags but I can't see that happening!

There's a setting called something like Send feedback. Doesn't turning that off accomplish this?

Mark Barnes:
That means if you filter the library by rating:0, it shows all the resources you have zero-rated (or never rated), regardless of their community rating.

Thanks for that assurance. That was my worst worry when I first heard about this.

Dave Hooton:
Note that Logos have removed the implied collection of rating:0  and you can only select rating:1 thru 5 in the menus.

No

Dave Hooton:
When we sort the Library by Rating Logos also have to stop sorting them by their community value.

Definitely!

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2844
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 7:15 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
As far as I know, community ratings only appear for resources you haven't rated (above "0"). The dev's considered a rating of "0" to equal "unrated." Some users challenged that assumption, and so Logos is considering redesigning this feature.

It is a tee-totally dumb idea.  Who came up with that one?  Sounds like some of the ideas I've come up with in my Church, and then wondered, "What was I thinking?"

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 101
jtondee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 7:37 PM

You make those kind of decisions too :) glad to see I'm not the only one who wonders what they were thinking.

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 7:19 AM

fgh:
There's a setting called something like Send feedback. Doesn't turning that off accomplish this?

I doubt it, this data is most likely harvested from the data that is synched to the Logos servers.

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 9:58 PM

Graham Owen:

fgh:

I doubt it, this data is most likely harvested from the data that is synched to the Logos servers.

They have the right to use the feedback info, if our setting allows it, but I sure hope the EULA and US law doesn't allow them to tap into our private data. That would upset me a lot. And what use would it be to have a feedback option that can be turned off, if they then go ahead and collect our data anyway? 

We need an authoritative answer from Logos on this!

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 2:54 AM

fgh:

They have the right to use the feedback info, if our setting allows it, but I sure hope the EULA and US law doesn't allow them to tap into our private data. That would upset me a lot. And what use would it be to have a feedback option that can be turned off, if they then go ahead and collect our data anyway? 

We need an authoritative answer from Logos on this!

Yes

Posts 4068
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 1:35 PM

it seems like the diversity of the community that uses logos would make a community rating unhelpful to people who use the software.

IE a catholic might rate Arminius a bit higher than would a reform southern baptist.

Just a thought.

L2 lvl4 (...) L8 Platinum, WORDsearch

Posts 28555
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 1:56 PM

Ken Baker:
it seems like the diversity of the community that uses logos would make a community rating unhelpful to people who use the software.

I see your point, and I REALLY don't like my ratings united with community ratings. It looks like that might change… I hope. Wink

I do think that community ratings could be very helpful, however. Let me preface my comments… Books that are "popular" aren't always right, or helpful. Sometimes there are lesser known "gems" which "no one" has read… but if you walk into a book store and you want to learn how to X, and you have no experience with X, nor do you know anyone with experience with X, a good place to start is to see what books are popular and sell well on the subject of X.

I will often go to Amazon (before buying from Logos/Vyrso of course Smile) to see 1) how many stars the book has, 2) how many people rated the book, 3) to read the reviews, and 4) to read the blurbs and plugs. In my opinion, community ratings can be helpful to me in a similar fashion, along with resource reviews on the Logos site.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 4068
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 2:31 PM

If they could add some granularity to the community ratings I think we could have a product that is ALOT more usefull (the community ratings).

Simply lumping us together based upon some simply demographics information would make a significant difference...

Reformed? Y/N

Denominational Affiliation: ___

ETC.

Then, when showing the ratings for piper, consider only the ratings of those who would answer like I would - Reformed in my soteriology, Southern Baptist, 20-30, Male.

Chances are good for someone like me, Pipers resources are going to be rated quite highly, along with Chandler, Thabiti, Dever, Tony Merida, David Platt, Danny Akin, Al Mohler, Stephen Davey, Spurgeon, etc.

While an 80 year old catholic woman would have a different list of people she prefers.

Adding some automated granularity might benefit us all, and would be relatively simple I should think, to code.

L2 lvl4 (...) L8 Platinum, WORDsearch

Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS