Visual Filters Are Off Target

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 149
Robert Dean, Jr | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 5 2012 8:10 AM

I have created some visual filters in the past for identifying various features in Logos Greek morphology. For example, a visual filter where all present tense verbs are marked with a yellow highlight, all aorist tense verbs with a blue highlight, and imperative mood verbs with an exclamation point following the word.

This worked very well in L4. However, the day before I upgraded to L5, i happened to turn one of these on and the highlights no longer showed up on the correct word. This off target mismatch is also present in L5

The highlights and markups seem to be off either a line as well as off center left or right from where they should be. I am including a screen shot of the NKJV and NA27 to show that this does not work in either English or Greek texts. As you can see in this screen shot, nouns were supposed to be highlighted with different markups for cases, however, the markups do not match the location of the nouns they should be highlighting.

After upgrading to L5, and updating to 5.0 SR 3 (beta) on my MacBook Pro (including a reinstall and reboot to make sure) I generated a new test markup and had the same results.  Obviously there must be some bug in the Logos Bible Morphology or visual filter code that got garbled in L4 and continues to be garbled in L5.

Robert Dean

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 8:20 AM

It looks like your index may have gotten corrupted at some point. Try rebuilding your index to see if that resolves the issue.

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Posts 149
Robert Dean, Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 8:21 AM

I just discovered I had actually taken a screen shot of the verb morphology filter on Nov 1, in L4 and the visual markups showed up correctly. Here is the attached screen shot.

Posts 149
Robert Dean, Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 8:21 AM

How do you rebuild the index?

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 8:31 AM

in the command bar type "rebuild index" and the option will appear

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Posts 27436
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 8:31 AM

Robert Dean, Jr:

How do you rebuild the index?

You can use the command rebuild index to reindex your ENTIRE library or rebuild bible index to reindex just your bibles. The later is much less time consuming. I am not sure, however, if this is your issue. You might want to see if others have any suggestions… especially before doing a full reindex.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 10:59 AM

Look for other threads on Visual Filters. There are several. It seems it has to do with what morphology the filter is using, but I didn't read too closely. You shouldn't have to reindex, just change something in the filter.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 149
Robert Dean, Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 7:02 AM

I have looked at some other threads. It seems problems exist for both Hebrew and Greek morphological filters. I hope someone at Logos is paying attention to this, because this is a significant issue related to the use of the filters. They are a very helpful tool, but are now totally useless.

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 7:28 AM

Robert Dean, Jr:

I have looked at some other threads. It seems problems exist for both Hebrew and Greek morphological filters. I hope someone at Logos is paying attention to this, because this is a significant issue related to the use of the filters. They are a very helpful tool, but are now totally useless.

Robert, based on your screenshots, it is very likely the problem is caused by an out of date Bible index, rather than a bug with Logos. If Logos is currently indexing, let it finish. If not, as was pointed out above, type rebuild bible index in the command bar and press enter. (If that doesn't work, there are possible other causes, but that's the most likely.)

Posts 149
Robert Dean, Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 7:36 AM

Mark, since I switched to L5 last Friday, the indexer has run several times. In the event that "rebuild Bible index" doesn't work, how do I delete the old index and re-index from scratch?

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 7:59 AM

Robert Dean, Jr:
In the event that "rebuild Bible index" doesn't work, how do I delete the old index and re-index from scratch?

It may be best for you to turn on logging, so that if it doesn't work we can check to see what's happened: http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging

But rebuild Bible index will delete the old index and reindex from scratch - that's what it's designed to do. If that doesn't work, and you turned on logging before running the command, then upload your indexing log, and we'll make a next suggestion.

Posts 44
Peter Keay | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 8:12 AM

Robert, I had the same problem, and it had to do with which morphology my visual filter was set to (as was mentioned above). Specifically, it seems more resources are using the "Logos" morphologies. A couple of changes, and the filters worked again.

Possible exception: So far, it seems the OT reverse interlinears used AFAT in Logos 4 and use Logos Hebrew Morphology in Logos 5, so that filters using fields only in AFAT morphology data (not included in Logos morphology data) might no longer work with reverse interlinears.

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 8:35 AM

Peter Keay:

Robert, I had the same problem, and it had to do with which morphology my visual filter was set to (as was mentioned above). Specifically, it seems more resources are using the "Logos" morphologies. A couple of changes, and the filters worked again.

Possible exception: So far, it seems the OT reverse interlinears used AFAT in Logos 4 and use Logos Hebrew Morphology in Logos 5, so that filters using fields only in AFAT morphology data (not included in Logos morphology data) might no longer work with reverse interlinears.

Morphology changes could break a visual filter altogether, or they could cause a visual filter to only partly work - but they could not cause the alignment issues that Robert has whereby the filter places its highlights in the wrong place (i.e. the filter doesn't align properly). That is almost certainly caused either by the resource being out of sync with the index (which we are checking here), or with it being out of sync with the reverse interlinear data (which we'll check next if the index doesn't fix it). As the problem affects two Bibles, one of which doesn't have a reverse interlinear, the index is by far the most likely culprit.

Posts 149
Robert Dean, Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 5:22 AM

Rebuilding the Bible index worked!!  Thanks for the help.

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 5:40 AM

Robert Dean, Jr:
Rebuilding the Bible index worked!!  Thanks for the help.

Smile

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS