Boot Camp or Parallel

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 43
David Kim | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 26 2009 11:30 PM

After several days of playing with my new logos 4. here are the 3 options that I tested. 

1) Run Logos 4 on my mac - Alpha 5 seems little more stable. 

2) Run Logos 4 on my parallel - I got to  use the pc version of logos and liked it very much 

3) Run Logos 4 not on parallel but on boot camp - this ran logos the fastest and I am enjoying the program. 

I like using logos on parallel because I can swithc back and forth to my mac applicaitons. But, I like logos on boot camp because it runs faster and greater response time looking up things. 

For now, I am settling on boot camp. But, I can't wait for the final version on the mac. 

Posts 184
lostlogik | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2009 2:05 AM

I run Parallels. Like you I tried the Mac version but it is simply too lacking at this stage. So I installed the PC version under Parallels 5 and am more than happy. 

I've never tried Boot Camp as I don't want to have to restart every time I want to use Mac/PC. Parallels switches so seamlessly it's a no brainer. And under the "Crystal" mode, you can't really tell you're running XP, always a bonus :)

Posts 490
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2009 5:17 AM

Parallels reads Boot Camp installations. So the ideal setup is to install Windows in Boot Camp first. This way if you are going to do a lot of heavy lifting in Windows, you can load it from the beginning for full speed and power.

But Parallels will also launch Windows running from the Mac side of things using a Windows install in Boot Camp. The only difference is that you can't put the virtual machine to sleep.

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 43
David Kim | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2009 9:17 AM

Yes. I suggest loading windows in bootcamp first as well. 

I like the convenience of Parallel so that I can go back and forth. But the "speed" of Logos on Boot Camp makes me much happier :). I am so looking forward to a full MAC version! 

Posts 44
Joshua Yates | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 10:08 AM

A word of caution about running a Boot Camp Partition in Parallels...

Parallels is meant to be a virtual machine software...and it runs best as a TRUE VM.  I ran XP and Vista under a Boot Camp install and it lagged for me much of the time and I saw many performance troubles.  I now run Windows 7 as a true VM and have fewer problems.  

Yes, it will run a Boot Camp partition, but not as well as a "true VM."  BTW, this is the same response I got from Parallels Support.  I was having all kinds of trouble installing Parallels Tools and it would not run the partition correctly.  Once I went to a true VM, it all went away.  Now, Parallels 5 may be better, but since the performance is so much better for me, I'm sticking with this process for now.  Besides, you can't tell if you're running a VM or a Boot Camp partition when in Windows.  You just can't boot directly into Windows.  Yes, Windows runs BEST on Boot Camp, but I didn't buy a Mac to run Windows.  I want full access to my Mac and run what little I need to run on a VM.

...just my $.02...not sure if it's worth even that to you!  ;)  Have a blessed day!

15" Macbook Pro Unibody (Early 2016) 2.7 GHZ Quad Core, OSX Mojave, 16 GB LPDDR3 RAM, 512 GB SD

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 11:15 AM

Joshua Yates:
Parallels is meant to be a virtual machine software...and it runs best as a TRUE VM.  I ran XP and Vista under a Boot Camp install and it lagged for me much of the time and I saw many performance troubles.  I now run Windows 7 as a true VM and have fewer problems.  

VMWare Fusion is my poison of choice, I've only played with Parallels a little, but with Fusion the best performance I've had is when running off of a Boot Camp installation. Second best performance, not far behind, is running with the virtual machine on an external hard drive. 

Posts 18
Christopher Guest | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 12:19 PM

Might I suggest Sun's VirtualBox as an alternative...

It's the equal of Fusion and Parallels - except that it's free!

http://www.virtualbox.org

My Mac can go all the way to OS XI

www.bournvillechurch.co.uk

Posts 10518
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 1:09 PM

Chris Roberts:

Joshua Yates:

VMWare Fusion is my poison of choice, I've only played with Parallels a little, but with Fusion the best performance I've had is when running off of a Boot Camp installation. Second best performance, not far behind, is running with the virtual machine on an external hard drive. 

Has anyone on this forum used both Parallels 5 and Fusion 3? I started with Parallels 2, but I had such a bad experience with the initial release of Parallels 4 that I switched to Fusion. L4 gives acceptable—not great—performance under Fusion 2. Considering the progress being made on the Mac version, I wonder if I should even upgrade at all. I will only need Windows for Turbo Tax Corporation, and speed is not an issue there.

So my question is would you recommend Fusion 3, Parallels 5, or just stay put and wait for Logos 4 Mac? I know that the upgrade price for either one is not that much, but there would be the hassle of upgrading. Besides, I could probably purchase an Interlinear as a gift for George with that money. Big Smile (For those who do not know George, he has a mild dislike for Interlinears Geeked)

Posts 102
shane blyth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 1:18 PM

Ive used both Fusion and Parallels and even Beta tested PArallels

P5 is considered quicker than F3 but there is not alot in it really. try a trial of both and see for yourself its free for 30 days.

Personally I think Logos 4 for Mac is well on the way and thought I have run L4 for Windows i find it generally sluggish compared to the native Mac app. If you can wait a month do so. I think by the time it moves from Alpha to Beta it will be kicking the Windows versions as far as speed goes.

BTW my system is a 2.33 ghz macbook pro with 3 GB of ram 1.5 gb allocated to the VM and I have tried both XP and Windows 7 and found the XP is faster on my system.  

Posts 10518
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 1:39 PM

shaneblyth:
BTW my system is a 2.33 ghz macbook pro with 3 GB of ram 1.5 gb allocated to the VM and I have tried both XP and Windows 7 and found the XP is faster on my system.

I'm using a 2 x 2.66 Dual Core Xeon with 11 GB of RAM. I purchased that much RAM so I could give Windows more room, but I found that Parallels 3 would only allow me to give 2GB. However, I don't regret the extra because I have never have to worry about how many apps I have open

shaneblyth:
Personally I think Logos 4 for Mac is well on the way

I believe that also, and this setup gives me reasonable performance. I will probably wait. I'm too busy right now to introduce another upgrade into the mix.

Posts 505
Michael Kares | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 1:56 PM

JackCaviness:
I'm using a 2 x 2.66 Dual Core Xeon with 11 GB of RAM

Jack,

That is a ridiculously powerful system...nice work

Posts 505
Michael Kares | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 1:57 PM

Now you just need some SSDs Cool

Posts 10518
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 2:05 PM

MichaelKares:

It was the middle of the desktop line when I purchased it a couple of years ago. I gave my eldest Grandson a perfectly good G5 so I could gat a machine capable of running Parallels which was the only virtual machine option at the time.

Posts 43
David Kim | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 10:12 PM

I agree. I found out the hard way ... install windows os in parallel and avoid running via boot camp partition.

Yes. I bought the mac so that I don't have to use PC. I am there with you brother.  I can't wait for the beta mac version!

Posts 43
David Kim | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 10:15 PM

I have now wasted so much time! Smile Parallel 5 is better than VM Fusion3 in my opinion. Parallel seems to run faster on my macbook pro 2.53 (4gb ram). I was using boot camp for the speed, but now i"m back to parallel. I wasted so much erasing and installing os and logos.

Conclusion: If you are mac user. And, if you want to use the full version of logos 4. My recommendation is parallel 5.

Posts 1
Andrew Stravitz | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 10:17 AM

I just have a regular macbook.  2.13 GHz - 4 GB.  When I try to run the mac version of Libronix3, it always crashes.  Any clues as to why?  How should I run logos on this mac?  I don't really understand the stuff you all are talking about above, so please feel free to talk down to me.

Posts 10518
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 1:05 PM

StacyLabor:

I just have a regular macbook.  2.13 GHz - 4 GB.  When I try to run the mac version of Libronix3, it always crashes.  Any clues as to why?  How should I run logos on this mac?  I don't really understand the stuff you all are talking about above, so please feel free to talk down to me.

Stacy

You will get the best response if you post this question in a new thread on the Logos for Mac 1 forum. Title it something like "Logos 1 constantly crashes" or some other attention getting label. Tell us what is happening just before the crash. What error messages appear? The more information you provide the better response you will get. "It always crashes" will not get you much help. There are just too many variables.

BYW, the version you have is Libronix for Mac 1, not Libronix 3 (that was the Windows version). Which version are you using? You will see that information on the splash screen as the application starts up or under the "Libronix DLS" menu. Provide this information, and you should receive some helpful responses.

Posts 118
Andrew Chuter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 2:02 AM

I've just purchased a 17" MacBook Pro and am running both Logos 4 & 3 on it with Parallels 5. Very pleased with it  -  comparable to using programmes on my Dell desktop.

Andrew

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 2:07 AM

StacyLabor:

Can you be a bit more specific on the crash?  Is it crashing when you launch it or doing some sort of search or action? It would also be helpful to know which version of OSX you are running and which version of Logos Mac you have.  The latest version of Logos Mac in the earlier (v3) generation is 1.2.2  Like Jack said, you would probably get a faster response in the Logos for Mac 1 forum, but we'll try to help you wherever you are!

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2009 2:09 AM

MichaelKares:

Jack is a powerful guy that needs a powerful computer! Besides, he needs that power to launch his "spinning pizzas". On my computer they are a bit more sedate and are spinning pinwheels. Not as appetizing. Wink

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS