Deceitful marketing

Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 40 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1
Aking W. Beverly, M.Div. MBA. | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 5 2012 7:33 PM

I called Logos and asked to upgrade from 4 to their starter package and individually purchase the data sets which state that they are sold separately. It would have cost me no more than $130. Of course they said no because it is not possible. Maybe they should consider getting rid of the price and phrase that says "sold separately." Someone needs to be held accountable for this poor roll out!

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 7:39 PM

I do not doubt your claim but I have not seen where logos states the data sets were sold separately. Could you point me to the statement? Also, how did you come up with your $130 total?

Posts 9112
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 7:40 PM

You might want to read the president's information about what is now offered and what will be offered. The web site lists the individual features as available separately, which apparently was a mistake. It seems that it has not been corrected.

Here is the link to Bob Pritchett's discussion: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/58259.aspx

As you'll read, the basic L5 engine will be available for free someday and the data sets and features needed to enjoy the entire L5 experience will also be available in a  minimum crossgrade at some point.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 10462
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 7:47 PM

Deceitful is a hard word.

On the other hand, it took someone to program it, etc.   It wasn't accidental.

I myself don't understand why there's such a problem at Logos in marketing.

EDIT (what he's talking about):

Posts 98
Joshua Coady | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 7:47 PM

Halo Hound:

I do not doubt your claim but I have not seen where logos states the data sets were sold separately. Could you point me to the statement? Also, how did you come up with your $130 total?

Just mouse hover an individual line on the upgrade page. I think it was stated in the forums that it was a mistake, but dont know why it hasnt been taken down yet.

Posts 1904
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 7:50 PM

Mistaken or erroneous marketing may be better titles for this thread. Do you have any information that indicates deceitful motives?

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 10462
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 7:55 PM

David ... I'm don't like the word 'deceitful'. But what other word is there?

Web coders don't just make things up. Someone gave them the text/spreadsheets and the made-up numbers.

I just don't understand.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 7:56 PM
Joshua Coady:

Halo Hound:

Just mouse hover an individual line on the upgrade page. I think it was stated in the forums that it was a mistake, but dont know why it hasnt been taken down yet.

Thanks for pointing me to the statement. To advertise something for sale that is not for sale is an error that needs to be corrected without delay.
Posts 1904
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 8:11 PM

DMB:

I already suggested "mistaken" and "erroneous". I could add "misleading" or "baffling"

I agree that "sold separately" should not appear in the box. I suspect that the "value" of the data set was determined for some of the internal spreadsheets that determine dynamic pricing but was never intended for public view.

i can imagine a web designer being handed a spreadsheet with titles, description, cover art, and other internal information (e.g. Target release date, or resource status) and the designer accidentally including in the website cells that were not intended for public view. It is a matter of miscommunication, not deceit.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 1

I currently have the Bible study package in 4. My upgrade for the starter was about 66 bucks. I added the data sets that I thought could be purchased seperately to the upgrade price.

Posts 1

Maybe deceitful is a harsh word, but in my book they should honor it, or take it down. I was told that it was there to show the value of the data set. I mentioned that I was comfortable with my current library and all I want is the know system and data set, but I have to pay around $900 just for the data sets and the books I will never use. They did say that something was in the works and to wait. 

Posts 9112
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 8:18 PM

Pastor Aking W. Beverly, M.Div. MBA.:
They did say that something was in the works and to wait. 

Take the time to read the thread I pointed to you from Bob Pritchett.

For about $100 you will probably get all or most of what you want, but you will have to wait until Logos makes it available.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 8:18 PM

David Thomas:

DMB:

I already suggested "mistaken" and "erroneous". I could add "misleading" or "baffling"

I agree that "sold separately" should not appear in the box. I suspect that the "value" of the data set was determined for some of the internal spreadsheets that determine dynamic pricing but was never intended for public view.

i can imagine a web designer being handed a spreadsheet with titles, description, cover art, and other internal information (e.g. Target release date, or resource status) and the designer accidentally including in the website cells that were not intended for public view. It is a matter of miscommunication, not deceit.

I agree that "deceit" probably does not accurately describe how the error came to be but to continue to allow the error to persist once it has become known does not help diffuse the confusion. 

Posts 1

I currently have the Bible study package in 4. My upgrade for the starter was about 66 bucks. I added the data sets that I thought could be purchased seperately to the upgrade price. Unfortunately the sales rep said that there is actually no way to unlink them and sell them Individually.

Posts 1

Thanks

Posts 1904
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 8:22 PM

Halo Hound:

I agree that "deceit" probably does not accurately describe how the error came to be but to continue to allow the error to persist once it has become known does not help diffuse the confusion. 

Agreed! I don't want to be accused of "drinking the kool-aid" or being a "fan boy", I would just prefer that some of the rhetoric be toned down in these forums.

Posts 10462
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 8:35 PM

Well, at some point someone's going to have to come clean and admit they work at Logos. And that the words they use have no meaning.

I'm only surprised a pastor was the stand-up guy. That's a complement.

Posts 184
LogosEmployee
Dan Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 8:47 PM
There is a lot that goes into a website behind the scenes, and lots of reasons why multiple-thousand page programmed sites can't be changed quickly, especially when it comes to things that are generatEd by scripts and code, not just plain text.... Updating a complex coded page is not equivalent to fixing a typo on a blog post for example. All that to say, we are working around the clock to fix this and many other issues. I assure you the sold separately issue that you pointed out is not intentional and certainly not deceitful. Giving people the impression that those items are sold separately is the last thing we would want to do. It will be fixed as soon as it can be.
Posts 127
Robert I | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 8:47 PM

Just to add my 2 cents... I am half through my purchase of the over $600 set (and that at a discount).  Imagine my huge disappointment to find out that I could have bought a new package for the same price and not have to start all over again.  I get the $100 thing.  It is just really disappointing.  

Remaining in Him (1 John 2:28), Robert

Mac Book Pro, Windows 7 Professional, iPhone 4S, iPad 1

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 8:49 PM
No argument here! I have seen far too much slander in the name of Jesus and justice in the forums lately. Personally I do not believe Pastor Beverly had this intent in the use of the word "deceit" but because of some others in the forum who have made it there mission to make sure everyone else knows their negative opinion of logos an atmosphere of us vs them has started to develop which makes it hard to distinguish legit disagreement. I can only ask that The Lord give me eyes to distinguish slander from constructive criticism.
Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS