Need Hebrew help in understanding something that...

Page 3 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 42 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 7:19 AM

Gloria:
"Okay, Ladies, it's quite possible, that when the waters of the Red/Reed (not going there) Sea covered over them, the tide brought in some swords from the dead Egyptians and they used them."

Now that's rationalizing more than a little.  Remember that Moses' father-in-law was said to be a Kenite (Jdg 1.16). 

Our knowledge of the Kenites in the Iron Age, when Israel occupied its land, is limited to a few texts only (Josh 15:57; Judges 4–5; Judg 1:16; 1 Sam 15:6; 27:10; 30:29; 1 Chr 2:55). There has been widespread agreement that the etymology of the term "Kenite" implies that the Kenites were itinerant smiths (AncIsr, 478–79; ARI, 96): the root, qyn, can form the basis for words meaning "to forge," or "a metal-worker," in Arabic, Syriac, and Palmyrene.

The Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary

. Edited by Freedman, David Noel, Gary A. Herion, David F. Graf et al, s.v. "Kenites". New York: Doubleday, 1992.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1895
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 8:40 AM

Gloria,

I have been impressed with your hunger to discover and understand the truth! I believe another user suggested you get the CHALOT as a Logos resource which would be less expensive than the full 5 volume set.

I have a hardbound copy of BADG (2nd version) on my shelf that I would be willing to ship to you as a gift, since I now use BDAG in Logos and the older volume is just collecting dust on my shelf.

I will message you directly to get your mailing information.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 58
Gloria | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 2:28 PM

Woo Hoo.  Thank you so much.  That is so kind of you.  I'm excited.  :)

Page 3 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS