What's the upgrade for "Scholars?"

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 58
Gloria | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 6 2012 9:50 AM

I"m really REALLY confused by all this Logos 5 stuff.  If I go to my account, It says that I have Scholars LE.  In the upgrade there is no scholars.  What does this mean for me and how much does it cost?  Keep it simple, too.  :)  Thanks.

Posts 10634
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 10:14 AM

Gloria:

I"m really REALLY confused by all this Logos 5 stuff.  If I go to my account, It says that I have Scholars LE.  In the upgrade there is no scholars.  What does this mean for me and how much does it cost?  Keep it simple, too.  :)  Thanks.

The packages have been almost completely reconfigured. Do not worry about names. Look at the individual packages to see the one that best suits your needs. Logos kept some of the same names, but the contents have changed.

Years ago, I had a 59 Chevy Impala convertible. Chevrolet has reused the Impala name, but it is definitely not the same car—In that case, it was a downgrade. Chrysler has used the name 300 since 1954, but the automobile has definitely changed.

Posts 9112
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 10:35 AM

Gloria:
In the upgrade there is no scholars.

The closest thing to what Scholars was is now called Bronze, but at Jack said, contents have changed so much you really need to look at what you have versus what you'd get and the pricing on it. You won't lose anything in any event, but the Upgrade calculator will show you in each case what you'll gain by selecting that as the 'upgrade' option.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 350
Chuck P. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 10:44 AM

Yep, as I posted in the FEATURES post,

I had the L4 Scholors version and Logos wanted me to go to the L5 Silver for over 300.00. I looked at the resources and in the L4 Silver and the L5 Silver, they do not impresss me. I currently have over 3400 resources in my library.

I opted to go with the L5 Bronse and got 122 new resources for about 127.00, so thought that was a good deal.

Someday, I hope Logos offers the full engine without the resources to get all 53 features at a low cost, then I will update the engine. I am really interest in the Clause Search......

Chuck

Laptop: Lenovo P580 - 15.6" IdeaPad Laptop
 - 6GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive - Windows 7
 Iphone5s            Logos 7, Bronze

Posts 10634
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 11:01 AM

Chuck P.:
Someday, I hope Logos offers the full engine without the resources to get all 53 features at a low cost, then I will update the engine. I am really interest in the Clause Search......

As I posted in the other thread, that should be the content of the Minimal Crossgrade

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 12:35 PM

Gloria:
What does this mean for me and how much does it cost?

It doesn't have to cost you anything. You have 5 options (for 2 and 3 see Official: Minimum Crossgrade and free engine download are coming!):

1. Stay on L4 (necessary if you're on Windows XP, otherwise not the best option).
  2. Wait a little while and then download the free L5 engine.
  3. Wait a little while and buy the Minimal Crossgrade for <$100. This will give you the free engine, plus all or most of the new fancy features and databases.
  4. Buy one of the upgraded packages that you can find on the website. This will give you the free engine, some or all of the features/databases, and a number of new books. Exactly which you can see on the Comparison Chart.
  5. A combination of the above, e g a lower new package now plus the Crossgrade later to get all the features/databases.

By the way, Scholar's LE if fairly old. You've missed a free upgrade to Scholar's KF, and then another free upgrade to Scholar's JG. That's unfortunate, since you may now have to pay for books you could have gotten for free.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 12:45 PM

Gloria:

I don't know if this needs to be explicit, but if you are interested in a new package, whatever it's name, make sure you are logged in to your logos account on your browser.  when you go to your upgrade page, you can see your discounted cost, which will reflect that you have already invested in Logos, and won't have to pay full price.  Also, you will be able to click "see what's new to me" on the upgrade page, and it will show you each resource in each package that you don't own already, but would gain with a purchase.

this way you can balance what you are getting ("do I want these?") vs. the cost to you.

Check back on the forums if you have any more questions!  Or even if you just want to say "hi!" Smile

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 58
Gloria | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 2:52 PM

My knickers were in a knot when I saw I missed some free upgrades there.  But I am at Scholar's JG.  Sooo.  Now to compare....

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 4:53 PM

Gloria:
My knickers were in a knot

didn't know they still made those!

Gloria:
I saw I missed some free upgrades there

not sure you did.  the "free upgrade" to Logos 5 is still coming.  It just won't include deeply discounted books, and you will need to wait before it comes out (we haven't received word on when it will be offered free, possibly within a month . . . but after it is offered for free, that will stay that way)  

Enjoy comparing!  I don't know your method, but I look a) at books I really want, b) areas of my library I need balance in (e.g., if I didn't own any/many atlases, or commentaries or theology resources, i'd see what packaged offered them), and c) look at my wife and ask if I can spend any money  Smile

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 5:53 PM

The upgrade calculator "does not work correctly" ( see my post in another thread ).

In fact, it now gets cheaper each time I click on it! ( if I do so enough, Logos will owe me for the titles-smile)

Something is wrong with it folks, they need to get it sorted out. You don't want to pay more than you should and, by the exact same token, you don't want to take things from the store without paying for them.

The other issue is that it is not listing many of the titles I already have and is listing them as "new to me" .

It also does not show my Catholic Library Titles for the most part.

All to say, there are problems with the upgrade calculating software.

Logos needs to get this sorted out for the own bottom line as well as ours.

Blessings

Posts 10634
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 2:16 AM

Dan DeVilder:

Gloria:
My knickers were in a knot

didn't know they still made those!

Perhaps she has a different meaning for that word, depending on where Gloria lives

Dan DeVilder:

Gloria:
I saw I missed some free upgrades there

not sure you did.  the "free upgrade" to Logos 5 is still coming.

Believe she is speaking of a different "free upgrade" as she previously said, " If I go to my account, It says that I have Scholars LE." fgh told her that JF was the latest version of Scholars. She had found the free upgrade to Scholars JF Big Smile

Gloria, really pleased that you found that. I was ready to recommend that you contact Bob Prtchett.

Posts 3082
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 6:53 AM

Jack Caviness:

Chuck P.:

As I posted in the other thread, that should be the content of the Minimal Crossgrade

They are saying it may not contain all the new features....

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 7:01 AM

Chuck P.:
I had the L4 Scholors version and Logos wanted me to go to the L5 Silver for over 300.00. I looked at the resources and in the L4 Silver and the L5 Silver, they do not impresss me. I currently have over 3400 resources in my library.

I think they direct everyone to Silver in L5.  Tongue Tied

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 22223
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 7:44 AM

David Taylor Jr:

Jack Caviness:

Chuck P.:

They are saying it may not contain all the new features....

What Logos (Phil Gons) is saying is that there will be two variants of the minimal crossgrade and the largest will contain all the new features plus a few core resources. His post is at http://community.logos.com/forums/p/58931/419542.aspx#419542

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS