Is It Worth It?

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers

Posts 221
James Thompson | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 27 2009 8:04 AM

For all of you who have upgraded from 32-bit to 64-bit, is it worth it? I just upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 but did not take to 64-bit option, primarily because of all the reinstalls I'd have to do. I really wasn't looking forward to reinstalling both Logos 3 & 4 and all the indexing 4 does to get back to par. But still in the back of my mind is this nawing question about the incremental performance improvement.

My current system is a Dell XPS 420, Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.40 GHz 2.39 GHz with 4GB RAM. I'd appreciate any comments from those who have gone this route or a similar one. Is there a noticeable incremental performance improvement? Thanks in advance....

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2009 8:46 AM

James Thompson:
My current system is a Dell XPS 420, Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.40 GHz 2.39 GHz with 4GB RAM. I'd appreciate any comments from those who have gone this route or a similar one. Is there a noticeable incremental performance improvement? Thanks in advance....

The noticeable performance improvement comes primarily with the fact that Win7 can address more than 3.2GB of RAM. I have 6GB. This makes some L4 operations (like indexing) go much quickly.

There may be some other ways that 64bit helps Logos along, but I wouldn't know what they would be.

Reformatting a hard drive and restoring all your programs can take hours. Whether you'd ever get that time back by making the switch is something you'll have to figure out yourself.

There is a step-by-step method for moving L4 to a new system in the wiki that may work for you (no garauntees), and may save you some time. Note that this method is a user generated method and is not supported by Logos. Here's the URL:

http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS