A great little L5 feature that you probably don't know about

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 13398
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 7 2012 4:00 PM

I haven't seen any mention here of a great little feature of L5 that allows you to find out how a specific word is translated in different versions of the Bible. By 'specific' I mean a specific word in a specific verse.

The following screen shot shows how πεφανέρωται is translated in Romans 3:21:

To see this data, just fire up the information panel and click on a word in a resource that supports sympathetic highlighting.

Posts 325
Robert Wazlavek | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 4:01 PM

Yes

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 4:07 PM

Very useful!

Posts 1002
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 4:16 PM

Mark Barnes:

I haven't seen any mention here of a great little feature of L5 that allows you to find out how a specific word is translated in different versions of the Bible. By 'specific' I mean a specific word in a specific verse.

Mark,

I saw a related discussion here Smile

JK

MacBookPro Retina 15" Late 2013 2.6GHz RAM:16GB SSD:500GB macOS Sierra 10.12.3 | iPhone 7 Plus iOS 10.2.1

Posts 10683
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 11:49 PM

Thanks Mark for sharing!

A candidate for a video sequence on great new features?

Wink

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 11:58 PM

Here's another one, in Bible facts when you look at (e.g.) a person you can see all the ways that person is refferred to in the bible (ie it shows you the data that's driving the clause search)

Posts 217
Danny Baskin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 5:15 AM

Great stuff! Thanks!

Posts 397
T Gerold Castle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 5:45 AM

WOW

In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle
**If we will do God's work, in God's way, at God's time, with God's power, we shall have God's blessings!!**

Posts 2964
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 5:55 AM

Wow! very useful Marks thanks.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 6:07 AM

It's great feature Mark, thanks. And it is so easy to copy this information unit to the MS Word or other sermon preparation word processor. Just right click and copy. Wonderful. And Logos 5 is full of that kind of little things.

Another one I really appreciate is Library organization. I crated a special Collection of my basic set of books I want to start with and it always opens to this collection. Excellent.

And many other things like that.

Bohuslav

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 6:22 AM

Mark Barnes:

The following screen shot shows how πεφανέρωται is translated in Romans 3:21:

To see this data, just fire up the information panel and click on a word in a resource that supports sympathetic highlighting.

Thanks for that great tip! I wondered at first how it determines what list of Bible versions to display how the word is translated in. But then I realized that it is the list of all interlinears that we have.

And of course it uses the abbreviations I have assigned to them, which differ from yours.

Posts 10683
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 6:33 AM

Rosie Perera:
I wondered at first ... then I realized that it is the list of all interlinears that we have.

I believe Mark told us so, when he said it works for all (modern) bibles that support sympathetic highlighting.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 13398
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 7:27 AM

NB.Mick:
I believe Mark told us so, when he said it works for all (modern) bibles that support sympathetic highlighting.

Not quite so. It works from all Bibles that support sympathetic highlighting (inc. NA27 etc.), but provide provides data from Bibles with reverse interlinears.

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 7:32 AM

awesome!

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Posts 9138
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 7:34 AM

Something else not obvious at first but that came up in another thread a few days ago, is that you won't get a translation from a version with different underlying Hebrew or Greek (Greek being more likely, I suppose). The KJV in the example on that thread used a different underlying word so when looked at the word in something like the ESV there was no KJV translation. Just a clue that there might be a textual variant at play.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9138
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 9:08 AM

Here is the example of what we observed. Colossians 4:12, the word is 'fully assured' in the NASB95 and 'complete' in the KJV.

Here is the info pane from the NASB:

As you see, no KJV translation. Note the Greek word being translated.

From the KJV:

Only translations from KJV texts are quoted and the Greek word is different.

This isn't some life-changing new feature, but since textual variants are not often easy to see, seeing some missing translations could at least alert one that a significant variant exists for the word.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2766
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 9:13 AM

Wow! Thanks. That is a great feature.

Yes

Posts 1337
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 9:32 AM

Mark Smith:

Only translations from KJV texts are quoted and the Greek word is different.

This isn't some life-changing new feature, but since textual variants are not often easy to see, seeing some missing translations could at least alert one that a significant variant exists for the word.

We actually had a conversation internally about this yesterday. No promises, no time frame, but we know about this sort of thing and have some ideas.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 1959
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 9:42 AM

Great tip.   

Posts 9138
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 9:54 AM

Rick Brannan (Logos):
We actually had a conversation internally about this yesterday. No promises, no time frame, but we know about this sort of thing and have some ideas.

Very nice.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS