Greedy customers

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 37 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 3733
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 8 2012 9:44 AM

So, first of all, I want to say from the get-go that I am writing this of my own initiative. I say this for the conspiracy-theorists out there who might think we get bonus points if we say anything in support of Logos. 

Over the years, there have been times when I have been frustrated with Logos or disagreed with this or that. That's life though. It's normal to disagree especially when we see things from our own vantage point. But there is freedom to see things differently and not project our discontent unto others.

Quite frequently, I encounter reproaches in threads to the effect that Logos is greedy. Now, I am a poor student. I have written in the past about the materialism of endless purchases of collections and books. I also think it important to keep in mind believers and servants of the Lord who can benefit from the software but do not have the buying power there often is in richer countries.

This being said, there is the opposite danger. I have grabbed a lot of freebies over time: on vyrso, free book of the month, etc. There is a point when perhaps the freebies tend to be taken for granted, as if they were to be expected and owed to us, so that there is no longer much of gratitude involved in the "grabbing". This goes also with generous policies such as constant free program updates. I  would be the first to groan if I learned that -- as in the case of the release of Logos 5 -- I have to dish out more money to upgrade.

Part of the groan is that I don't have that much money to spend and so I feel the pinch of not being able to get the new toy. I know that there is a free crossgrade coming up and as a matter of fact I have purchased an upgrade. But I write this to illustrate what I am getting at. There is a disappointment when we hope something will be free and it turns out not to be. Also, we may disagree with what choices Logos make on other grounds.

But must that turn into discontent and accusations of greed? We also need to recognize that part of the disappointment comes with coveting the new toy combined with an attitude of entitlement. We, like the workers in the parable the Lord Jesus gave, would complain because we feel we should get more for our contribution when indeed the terms of the contract have been respected.

Perhaps the line can be crossed at times between what is sound profitable business and greed. Money and ministry commodities have always had an uncomfortable relationship. Perhaps also there are legitimate cases in which customers feel they have ground to be unhappy with how something has been handled. But perhaps also, as with children who get many toys, we are accusing of greed when we are frustrated not to be able to have our own greed satisfied. Moreover, as we who are in ministry know, there is a prevalent "cheap" attitude when it comes to remunerating fairly for ministry goods or services. Many people in congregations think entitled to count -- as it were -- every penny in their pastor's wallet and decide that they need to go on with much less than they themselves go on. 

I know this is a lot of blab, but this is just a thought to consider: can we, not because we must, but out of a desire to be just in our business dealings with others, also value "fair compensation" for Logos' products and services? Can we choose to pay at times to support the company's efforts and ongoing development, as opposed to just trying to get the most for the least all the time and as much as possible for free?

I offer the challenge not from above but from below as I have caught myself doing this. Perhaps most of you are more spiritual than I am and are above such considerations. But for the rest of us, something to ponder.

On a final note, I know of very few who like Bob Pritchett take so regularly the time to communicate transparently and courteously about their policies. I appreciate this about you, Bob.

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 9:52 AM

Yes

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 9:56 AM

Francis:
So, first of all, I want to say from the get-go that I am writing this of my own initiative. I say this for the conspiracy-theorists out there who might think we get bonus points if we say anything in support of Logos.
Peace, Francis!                *smile*

Please allow me -- a very long-term Logos user -- to thank you and Bless you!

Our Gracious God has promised and delivered so many Blessings that we cannot even begin to count them.  My Logos Bible Software and my Logos Resources are one of the very greatest Blessings of my life; and I'm constantly thanking and praising God for them -- for the opportunity to really study God's Holy Word!

Your post, Francis, is so welcome to me.  Sometimes the negativity of the last few days on the Logos Forums has truly been "getting me down"!  How refreshing is your writing and sharing!                Thank you!

Psalm 1:1-6                             

Ps 1:1     

Blessed is the man

That walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly,

Nor standeth in the way of sinners,

Nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord;

And in his law doth he meditate day and night.

3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water,

That bringeth forth his fruit in his season;

His leaf also shall not wither;

And whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

4 The ungodly are not so:

But are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.

5 Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment,

Nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.

6 For the Lord knoweth the way of the righteous:

But the way of the ungodly shall perish.

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 10:11 AM

Yes Yes

Posts 708
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 10:22 AM

Yes Yes Yes

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 41
Frank Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 10:26 AM

While not having much interest in discussing greed, I will say, based on an entire career working in software (1975-2008), that nothing in the technology world is, really, free.  Actually, software, hardware, network infrastructure, and the people that keep them all running and continually developing at an amazing pace, are expensive.  Sometimes the cost is borne by investors, sometimes by advertisers, sometimes by institutions and other organizations; almost never is the end-user aware of the full cost.  It is never cheap.

That being said, software and systems like Logos are an amazing gift to the world, offered at very modest prices to end users, and I am grateful.  My upgrade from Logos 4 to Logos 5 packages cost less than my most recent purchase at a retail store of a system to replace an old laptop.  And it was certainly lower than the price of many conferences or Bible courses at colleges or seminaries.  It is a very high quality product with amazing resources of high quality offered at a very modest price.

Thank you, Logos!

Posts 565
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 10:50 AM

Amen!

Posts 408
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 10:58 AM

Francis, thank you for taking the time to put your thoughts down in such a thought provoking and gracious manner. I do not see any point you brought up that is not correct. I, personally, may have to go with a crossgrade at this point, but it doesn't mean I can't upgrade later on.

As to Bob, I wish more companies were so open with their responses. Your responses when you could have been very defensive and just say too bad, you don't. You are always sincere and your comments are appreciated.

Thank you.

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 11:42 AM

Yes

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 11:45 AM

Milford Charles Murray:

Please allow me -- a very long-term Logos user -- to thank you and Bless you!

Our Gracious God has promised and delivered so many Blessings that we cannot even begin to count them.  My Logos Bible Software and my Logos Resources are one of the very greatest Blessings of my life; and I'm constantly thanking and praising God for them -- for the opportunity to really study God's Holy Word!

Your post, Francis, is so welcome to me.  Sometimes the negativity of the last few days on the Logos Forums has truly been "getting me down"!  How refreshing is your writing and sharing!                Thank you!

YesYes

Amen!

Posts 21
Brian Durbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 11:52 AM

Well spoken Francis, we certainly are not immune to the "entitlement" culture around us. 

Posts 194
KPK | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 12:00 PM

StarStarStarStarStar

Wow, well said  and so graciously what I could never put into words. I agree 110%.  I was getting a bit sad with all the posts going on.

Posts 10636
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 12:19 PM

Definitely something that needs to be framed and placed on every pastor's desk.

Represents the absolutely best Christianity can offer.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 309
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 12:21 PM

Well said Francis! And thanks to Logos from one re-enegized preacher

Posts 320
Luuk Dondorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 12:33 PM

Thank you, Francis. Well done and brave! 

Luuk

Posts 10670
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 12:46 PM

Thank you, Francis. Like your perspective.

Posts 46
Peter Bongers | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 1:19 PM

Yes Thanks, Francis!! Lots to agree with... and to think about.

Posts 482
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 1:40 PM

Yes

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 1:48 PM

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 446
Jonathan Sine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 2:06 PM

Yes

Thanks for this Francis! 

And thanks for the illustrative video, Paul Golder. 

Jonathan Sine

Pastor - Squamish Baptist Church

2 Cor. 4.6

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS