Page 2 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 52 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 28
iCurteye | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2011 8:17 AM

So, lots of talk, but also lots of waiting, and lots of waiting.

For those brazen enough to speak out on these forums, we get kind of nailed with 'be Christian', 'be patient', 'show grace', and etc...  They are of course right, and over the two years, I think most of us have!

No one seems to be suggesting Logos show grace, or be Christian, and everything else.  Yeah I said it!

And yet Logos still advertises 'sync all reading plans to have wherever you are' (or something like that), check it out for yourself in App Store!  So is that a lie, false advertising?  When I got sold on Logos at a live presentation, I bought it because I wanted reading plans on my devices, the guy was very vocal and proud and hammered this point that your reading plans available on device.  A lie, false advertising!  And yet the description still remains.  And yet Logos is still rtes 4 stars in App Store, I changed my rating, and reported false untrue app description to app store - and now I wait not just for an update, but yes the response rom users and logos, the same responses posted everywhere else and same response as wait. Let loose commu

Posts 28
iCurteye | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2011 8:42 AM

nity and be sure to readjust your star rating and let let App Store know there is an App with less than accurate description!  New users do not have access to these forums and they need to be warned that they are not getting what is advertised before they switch to an iPad or iPhone or heaven forbid buy a Logos package expecting it to work!

Posts 94
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 2 2012 2:01 PM

In one of the posts in this thread it mentioned that Logos is hoping to have the sync of reading plan working by the first of the year. Is there any word of update on when that may happen?

I am starting my new reading plan for the year and would love to have it on my iPod.

Thank you,

Rob

www.3rdcultureliving.com - Simple Abundant Legacy

Posts 66
Janis Lewman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 2 2012 2:58 PM

In a post earlier today (NIV on iOS: Thanks Logos), I posted my thanks for discovering NIV.  Unfortunately in same post I mentioned my new reading plan actually sync'ing between both platforms two days in a row.  Few hours later....it has now created six plans on iPad, none of which are like the one I created yesterday on the Mac.  Should have known better and kept quiet.  Back to hard-copy record.   :)

Posts 383
Stephen Thorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 5 2012 12:01 PM

I'm trying to sync a McCheyne reading plan between a desktop PC and an Ipod Touch, but am still getting multiple copies of the general read 'bible in one year' plan - so this isn't just a Mac issue! 

I'm sure Logos will fix it, but it's frustrating when it used to work. Patience friends!

Posts 228
Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 5 2012 1:29 PM

I just deleted my reading plans from last year off my iPhone and it created a "Read the Bible in a Year" on my iPhone. I tried deleting that one and 6 were created on my iPad. I deleted all of them off my iPad except 1 and marked the first reading as read on my iPhone. It didn't appear as read on my iPad. after deleting the reading plan off of my iPad it created another 'Read the Bible in a YEar" and that one showed the first reading as complete (with a check mark). I went to Biblia.com and my old reading plan was gone and the new one with the first reading complete is on the website. This reading plan is not showing up in Logos 4 and the reading plans there are not syncing across to my iOS devices or to Biblia.com. When I deleted the reading plan off of my iPhone it recreated one without the first reading checked. This created an additional identical reading plan on my iPad so now I have 2 reading plans on my iPad with no readings completed, 1 reading plan on my iPhone with none completed. I refreshed Biblia.com and now can see 5 identical reading plans but cannot scroll down to see if there are any more. i also now have 5 identical reading plans on my iPhone.

I know they said there were sync issue but this is ridiculous. When the iPhone app first came out I was able to sync my reading plan. I was able to keep using that racing plan throughout the year. A few time it would take several outs to sync updates when I marked something as read on an iOS device but other than that it was working.

I know they said it was a sync issue but something got broken when they did an update somewhere because it was slow syncing but I never had these issues.

I've started using You Version for my reading plan on my iPhone/iPad. At least theirs works and syncs between devices and the webpage. They haven't been around very long at all and they managed to get this right. 

Oh yea, I know have 5 identical reading plans on my iPad too. I'm afraid if I delete them aging I'll end up with 50 identical plans and none of the are the plans I set up on Logos 4.

Way to go Logos!

p.s. I'm tired of hearing it's being fixed. They've been saying that since October and still can't tell us when it will be done. maybe they should have made sure the sync functionality worked before deploying it for use and adding other items to sync. Logos website still claims that the data will sync across all devices. Maybe they should stop claim that it syncs across all devices and say hopefully someday it will sync.

I shouldn't be surprised about this because they were saying they were coming out with a mac version and it took over a year of waiting after they announced it and 1.1 was really poor. They they promised all these great things with Logos 4 and how the Mac version would be the same as the windows version and 2 years later they are still promising it is coming.

Posts 2757
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 5 2012 6:15 PM

Stephen Weasler:

p.s. I'm tired of hearing it's being fixed. They've been saying that since October and still can't tell us when it will be done. maybe they should have made sure the sync functionality worked before deploying it for use and adding other items to sync. Logos website still claims that the data will sync across all devices. Maybe they should stop claim that it syncs across all devices and say hopefully someday it will sync.

this is the worst part of this. It is dishonest and a company run by Christians should do better.

Posts 1698
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 5 2012 7:53 PM

iCurteye:
And yet Logos still advertises 'sync all reading plans

I'm very sorry for the frustration about sync. I've experienced a bug in it myself, and it's very annoying.

We haven't changed the copy on the app page because it's still accurate: the app does sync reading plans.

There is, however (as in so many software packages), a bug. This bug apparently shows up when you have a synced plan you're reading on two devices, and change the document (usually by marking a reading read) on Device B before Device A has finished syncing the change. Normally we should be able to gracefully handle this conflict, but there's a bug we haven't found. Even more importantly, you shouldn't come across the situation very often, because syncing should be nearly instantaneous.

The original sync framework was designed for desktop software, which typically has different behaviors than mobile software. Your desktop software can typically sync large documents with few problems, and typically is either connected or disconnected -- it rarely is moving in and out of sporadic and/or slow coverage the way a phone does.

Moreover, we only have so many desktop Logos Bible Software users.

To accommodate mobile syncing, we had to build an intermediate service with different performance / bandwidth / etc. characteristics. 

Since then we've had literally 10 times as many people download our mobile app as ever used the desktop, dramatically increasing our bandwidth.

This extra large user base, bandwidth requirement, less consistent "sync before quitting the app" behavior, etc. are what cause the increased frequency of Device A (your mobile device) not having completed syncing before you go to Device B (your desktop or other device) and modify the document there. So our previously rare bug is occurring a lot more.

We've learned a lot about the less reliable/consistent behavior of mobile Internet connections (which were not part of our original design).

(This is also why we've been unable to deliver mobile notes and highlighting so far -- the document architecture and bandwidth needs.)

So we embarked on a complete re-write of the sync framework designed for millions of users and a wide variety of devices with much less reliable / consistent data connections. The new sync framework requires a lot less bandwidth for common behaviors, too.

The new sync framework is basically done, and ready to deploy for v4.5 of the desktop and v2.0 of mobile apps. The v2.0 version of the iOS app is in the app store and ready for release when the desktop is ready.  This features Sync v2 for what had been the number one user demand -- notes and highlighting on iOS devices.

We're right now (and I mean right now -- it's late on Thursday night and much of our team is here working away at the office) hunting down and eliminating performance bugs in the Sync v2 framework. It's a big, big change and it involves user data, so we want to be very careful to get everything right.

Sometime very soon we'll ship a desktop v4.5 Release Candidate. Within a week of that release we'll make it final, and it'll roll out to everyone. Within a day or so of that we should be able to release the new iOS app with notes and highlighting syncing

In parallel, developers are working to get Reading Plans to Sync v2 as well. This may still be a few weeks out; I very much wish it wasn't, and we're all acutely aware that many people start reading plans on January 1, and we're disappointed that we were unable to deliver this before then. And, until recently, we thought we'd be able to, or that the release was right around the corner. But there are 50+ people on the development team, and the holidays introduced 50+ differing vacation schedules, and quite a few people have a piece of such a large system migration, so communication has suffered. 

But we're almost all back (by Monday everyone is, I believe) and we're putting everything together and shipping it as soon as we can.

Just as trivia... we're also deploying a massive amount of new storage, servers, and firewalls to handle the increased load. This is itself a non-trivial project.

And, of course, we still have other products and features (Logos Mac, for example) on which other users rightly desire our attention. I'm sorry reading plans aren't  first on the list -- they're important to me, too! -- but I know that lack of notes and highlighting on mobile was equally important to other "I'm going to write you a bad review in the app store!" users -- right after lack of NIV support. :-) But at least we were able to add that recently. 

I know this doesn't fix the pain point, but I hope it helps you understand where we're at, and why we're doing things the way we are. Sync v2 should result in a superior experience very soon.

In the meantime, you might make a reading plan and try to either just use it on mobile, or give the mobile app some time to sync while connected to the Internet before going back to the home page (or at least before you mark off a reading on another device). This should reduce your chance of hitting the bug.

-- Bob

Posts 226
Kurt Trucksess | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 5 2012 8:15 PM

Bob, thanks for the honest and complete reply. Like the rest of the  audience, I look forward to the release. 

Dr. Kurt Trucksess www.christ2Rculture.com
Posts 28283
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 5 2012 8:33 PM

Kurt Trucksess:

Bob, thanks for the honest and complete reply. Like the rest of the  audience, I look forward to the release. 

Yes

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 5 2012 9:53 PM

Bob Pritchett:

And, of course, we still have other products and features (Logos Mac, for example) on which other users rightly desire our attention. I'm sorry reading plans aren't  first on the list -- they're important to me, too! -- but I know that lack of notes and highlighting on mobile was equally important to other "I'm going to write you a bad review in the app store!" users -- right after lack of NIV support. :-) But at least we were able to add that recently. 

Thank you so much for the hard work your development has been putting into the notes and highlighting features.  I have been reading the Christian Origins and the Question of God series, they are the type of book where notes and highlighting will be very helpful, as well as working my way through an inductive Bible study. The ability to use my Precepts palettes on the iPad will be great. Thanks for making such a great software.

Blessings,

Philana

Posts 22721
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 5 2012 11:25 PM

Bob,

Many thanks for the clear update - appreciated.

Graham

Posts 28
iCurteye | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 5:24 AM

I have trouble with 'the app does sync reading plans'.  For just abot ayr,tere ar no reing plan n myiPhone or iPad that were created on my pc.  I have made approx 12 diferen eading plas andNEVER have they showed up on my devices!  They used to a yea or so ago, albet ih all heissue described in the forum!  How then can you sa 'the ap doe sync redig plans'.  Having a ral hard time , ral ard!

Posts 8608
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 5:34 AM

Bob Pritchett:
This features Sync v2 for what had been the number one user demand -- notes and highlighting on iOS devices.
 !  SO glad to see this. Yes  

Even though I'm not an ios user, I know how vital this is.  

Now then, you know I had to ask: Android too?

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 28
iCurteye | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 5:34 AM

Wow, just having trouble on the forums anytime I use my devices replying in the forums - can't scroll to put the cursor to make changes to my spelling mistakes... anyway, so apologies for the gobble gook, the above reply should read like:

I have trouble with 'the app does sync reading plans'.  For just about a year there has no been any reading plans on my iPhone nor iPad that were created on my pc.  I have made approx 12 different reading plans and NEVER have they showed up on my devices!  They used to a year or so ago, albeit, with all the issues described in forums!  How then can you say 'the app does sync reading plans'.  Having a real hard time with that, real hard!

I have been in contact with customer service about this many times over the year, so you are saying your app does sync reading plans I am saying, customer service tells me they are aware of the issue and are working on it, as a user I have to say it is NOT syncing reading plans and I have yet to see a reading plan on my device in the last year!

Posts 8608
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 5:45 AM

iCurteye:
Wow, just having trouble on the forums anytime I use my devices replying in the forums - can't scroll to put the cursor to make changes to my spelling mistakes...
Switch to the NON html editor.  IOW a plain text editor.  You can do this, intriguingly enough by clicking HTML in the toolbar of the editor.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 6:31 AM

Kurt Trucksess:
Peace, Bob! I also am pleased with your very candid post and your very positive response. Thank you! May God continue to give you courage and strength and endurance for the New Year and richly bless you, your family, and the Logos Team! *smile*

Psalm 100:3

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 7:52 AM

Thanks for the update Bob!

I live off my iPad now, and boot my PC only once evey week or two, depending on needs. As such, iOS support is important to me. I welcome the updates over the next few weeks. Its been a long wait, and for the most part, I've held my tounge and trusted the updates would continue to flow.

Thanks to the Logos Team for all the hard work, but do please keep the features and bug fixes flowing.

Posts 2433
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 10:27 AM

I'm still way too far behind using all the features I already have, but it's good to hear that Logos is improving steadily. Every new announcement is a wonderful reminder of the blessing that Logos is to us Bereans.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 2757
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 11:09 AM

Bob Pritchett:
We haven't changed the copy on the app page because it's still accurate: the app does sync reading plans.

In theory but not in practice. If a bug keeps it from syncing then to say it syncs is a fallacy. It does not sync. I can prove it and you say you are affected by it too, Bob. I believe to be honest the copy would have to read,  something like "in the near future it will include reading plan sync".

I appreciate that this is a big job. My hope is that this taught you all a powerful lesson that will affect your decisions going forward so we don't have such a horrible situation again.

Still a loyal Logos user, but a frustrated one ....

Page 2 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS