Help a brother out: And get a commentary in the process!

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 35
Bryan Hawkins | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 10 2012 5:37 AM

(I apologize if this is not the right place to post things about books currently in community pricing)

Biblical Encyclopedia and Museum (15 vols.)

https://www.logos.com/product/8500/biblical-encyclopedia-and-museum

Back when I first entered ministry about 15 years ago, I couldn't really afford many resources, let alone a full Bible Commentary. And I ran across this complete commentary set on clearance in an old used  book store for about $20 (not much different from the going CP price). It, of  course isn't a very though set, but it was great for devotionals and in the margins had some really amazing quotes from theologians, pastors and church fathers that really helped open my eyes to exploring more of church history.  

In fact, in this set  I ran across the famous Jim Elliot quote "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose"  in one of the margins and I found out that in fact wasn't Jim Elliot who originally coined that phrase! (also since the set was  published in 1901, it was a little before Jim's day) 

Anyway, is this my favorite commentary? probably not, but its has great sermon illustrations, interesting quotes and great concise synopsis's of Biblical passages. But also for me it has some nostalgic value.....and its going now for a lean $25.  

So, help a brother out,  lets get this set to where it needs to be....in our Logos Library's. Who's with me? :)

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 6:01 AM

Bryan Hawkins:
So, help a brother out,  lets get this set to where it needs to be....in our Logos Library's. Who's with me? :)

Peace, Bryan!        *smile*              I'm with you, Brother!               Well-written post!                  Thank you!                     and ...     Always Joy in the Lord!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 35
Bryan Hawkins | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 5:05 AM

Wow, thanks for the encouragement!

Posts 2753
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 1:08 PM

I normally don't seek this kind of reference out, but I'm sure it will help. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 35
Bryan Hawkins | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2013 7:08 AM

Just  wanted to  bring this resource back to people's attention. It's still hovering around  60%, hoping to push it over the top!

Posts 9627
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2013 7:17 AM

Bryan Hawkins:
In fact, in this set  I ran across the famous Jim Elliot quote "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose"  in one of the margins and I found out that in fact wasn't Jim Elliot who originally coined that phrase! (also since the set was  published in 1901, it was a little before Jim's day) 

Great post Bryan!

I always thought that quote was original with Jim Elliot. Could you please provide the source of who originated it if is was not him? Ideally it would be great to cite the actual resource.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 6725
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2013 7:24 AM

I have my bid in also.

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 72
papa_gowgow | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2013 7:51 AM

Mine too :)

Posts 611
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 4 2013 7:52 AM

I am in : ) 

Posts 35
Bryan Hawkins | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2013 1:39 AM

Bruce,

I wrote the name of the person with the quote in the margin of my Bible, but  since I currently live overseas can't look it up in the original commentary. So I will  try to  locate it and let you know.

Posts 9627
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2013 3:54 AM

Bryan Hawkins:

Bruce,

I wrote the name of the person with the quote in the margin of my Bible, but  since I currently live overseas can't look it up in the original commentary. So I will  try to  locate it and let you know.

Thanks for responding. If you think of it let me know.

Does anyone else know the origin of "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose"? Now I'm really curious.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 72
papa_gowgow | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2013 4:22 AM

There's a digitized version on Google books: according to the side note (p120) the quote is attributed to -Henry.

Posts 12104
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2013 4:27 AM

papa_gowgow:

There's a digitized version on Google books: according to the side note (p120) the quote is attributed to -Henry.

this would probably be Philip Henry, father to the well-known commentary writer Matthew Henry. See here: http://www2.wheaton.edu/bgc/archives/faq/20.htm 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 9627
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2013 4:43 AM

NB.Mick:

papa_gowgow:

this would probably be Philip Henry, father to the well-known commentary writer Matthew Henry. See here: http://www2.wheaton.edu/bgc/archives/faq/20.htm 

Great find NB. Thanks for posting. It is interesting that I have never heard the source and how most people think that this statement is original to Jim Elliot. I know that I have thought that ever since I read "Shadow of the Almighty" many years ago. Of course with a closer reading it can be seen that Philip Henry didn't say this exact quote so it made me wonder if the idea came from reading Philip Henry but the actual words came from Jim. Just wondering.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 5 2013 8:16 AM

Spurgeon writes of the NT portion of the set:

”We can only speak of the New Testament; it is surpassingly useful, sententious, and sensible. Buy the work at once.”

Looking forward to this one!

Posts 35
Bryan Hawkins | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 2 2013 10:25 AM

Just trying to take one more shot at trying to get this PrePub into production. We are above 80%, I can almost taste it. If you were thinking about getting this commentary, now is the time to pounce!

Posts 622
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 2 2013 1:06 PM

Bryan, I've been in since Feb of 2012.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 2 2013 1:14 PM

I've been in since Nov 2, 1010, before this thread even started.

$25 is a steal for this 15-volume set. That's a little more than $1 per volume.

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 2 2013 2:51 PM

Rosie Perera:
I've been in since Nov 2, 1010
some people are really old Surprise

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 2 2013 2:57 PM

Thanks Sleiman!       *smile*                     I knew it was Rosie's Birthday on October 31!              However, I didn't realise she was THAT old!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS