So, how many of you are sticking with Version 4?

Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 44 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 1357
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 5:39 PM

Super Tramp:
I am hoping we get word from Morris Proctor and others regarding available training on new features and functionality of Logos 5.

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/58544/416692.aspx#416692

Posts 2
Daniel Mayfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 5:54 PM

Sticking with 4 because it seems to me that the only new titles I would get would be all language related and thats all above my head!

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 6:21 PM

Daniel Mayfield:

Sticking with 4 because it seems to me that the only new titles I would get would be all language related and thats all above my head!

Peace to you, Daniel!                   Welcome to the Logos Forums!  It's good to see you post!  Please visit again with your ideas, perhaps helps for other Logos Users, any questions or just to share!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 2902
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 7:26 PM

Tony Thomas:

And why?

My laptop runs Windows XP, so I have no choice...I'll continue to use L4 on it.  It appears the differences between L4 and L5 are minimal, unlike the switch from L3 to L4, so that won't be a big issue.

I will cross grade on my office computer, which runs Windows 7, as soon as it is available.  I plan to skip Windows 8 entirely (just like I skipped Vista), so I'll be running 7 for a number of years (hopefully).  Keeping XP has worked extremely well, so I anticipate the same keeping W7.  If I ever replace the laptop, I'll obviously automatically cross grade then.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 7:33 PM

For the time being...still paying off last years christmas purchases...but only one more payment to go, I think...so hopefully the personalised crossgrade offers will remain through December, and then I will consider L5!  I am still having trouble understanding the dots on the "new to you" page...it seems to give me different stories each time I try studying it.  

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 7:38 PM

Tony Thomas:

And why?

Keeping some Logos 4 installations for forum research and replies plus beta testing.

Likewise have Logos 5 installations for beta testing on Windows 7 and  OS X 10.8

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 8:35 PM

Is Mebin:
I am still having trouble understanding the dots on the "new to you" page...it seems to give me different stories each time I try studying it.

Not unlikely. It's broken.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 10:07 PM

Is Mebin:
For the time being...still paying off last years christmas purchases...but only one more payment to go, I think...so hopefully the personalised crossgrade offers will remain through December, and then I will consider L5!

Option is contacting Logos Sales to discuss L5 upgrade modification to payment plan, which can also include pre-publications with ship date.

Is Mebin:

I am still having trouble understanding the dots on the "new to you" page...it seems to give me different stories each time I try studying it.

Looking forward to Logos fixing black dots on upgrade page; while talking with another user, noticed black dots appeared in a couple columns.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2402
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 10 2012 10:49 PM

I still have one XP box, so it stays on L4. Windows 8 doesn't seem like a compelling upgrade for that machine, but I might change my mind. I think they are doing cheap upgrades to Win 8 because they might not be able to sell it otherwise.

I would have stayed with L4 longer otherwise, but God graciously provided me with the L5 upgrade and new hardware. L5 is L4 on steroids!. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 28236
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 11:30 AM

Daniel Mayfield:

Hi Daniel! Welcome to the forums!

Just wanted to clarify in case you misunderstood… Base packages are unrelated to the software… except that L5 isn't currently available to users who haven't purchased (or updated) to a new base package. L5 will be available to you in the not too distant future either with a minimal cross grade (if you want new features and data sets) or as a free engine (which would be similar to updated from one version of L4 to another version of L4). 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 103
Mark O'Hearn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 11:40 AM

Further to my post yesterday, after further investigation, I migrated from L4 Platinum to L5 Silver.  For me this was an acceptable price, with only one data set missing, which I hope to purchase later for a whole lot less than what upgrading to L5 Gold would have cost.  The additional $100 or so I paid, assuming the cross grade is around an $100 or so, contained some materials I was happy to include in my library.

As expected, the migration to L5 was smooth, and I am enjoying L5 already.  If others are not looking for a costly upgrade, as mentioned by folks in other threads, Silver is a great option provided there are sufficient new resources for you in the bundle.  Otherwise, waiting for the cross grade is probably still the best option.

Regards

Posts 2
Daniel Mayfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 1:22 PM

What exactly is a cross grade?

Posts 28236
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 2:00 PM

Daniel Mayfield:

New features require certain resources and data sets. A "minimal cross grade" gives you the licenses needed to access the new features. If you don't think you need or want the new features, you will be able to update the software engine only for free. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 2:15 PM

Daniel Mayfield:

Peace, Daniel!      *smile*                Here is a link to a longer post by Bob Pritchett, Logos President and CEO.  This is as official as one can get!        

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/58259.aspx

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 41
J.D. Matthews | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 4:52 PM

I upgraded already. I've noticed little difference, but (other than the first start after a PC Boot) it seems to run faster. I have windows seven with a ton of memory, but I still have a slow 5400 RPM drive. I have not had time to play with much but just seems to run faster. 

All my settings and layouts were preserved. It even started with my last V4 layout after the upgrade and I opened V5 the first time. 

I do like the Document management. I now pick to sort by type in the documents tab, so I can browse notes, clippings, etc. separately.

I've already fell in love with the thematic outlines. I have created a custom guide with this and some other features that I like.

in short I don't know if there are "killer" features that make upgrade a must, but I did get some nice improvements without having to relearn Logos as I did from v2 to v3 and form v3 to v4.

If you got the money i would suggest upgrading. if you do not  have the funds  V4 is still a good product.

Posts 2839
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 5:35 PM

After being hesitant, I finally upgraded to L5. 

For me the packages are better than they were under L4.  I was Platinum under L4, and would have never considered the L4 Portfolio. 

However, the L5 Diamond package gave me plenty of reasons to pick up The New Wesleyan Bible Commentary, the R. C. Sproul Commentaries, several other Bible Commentary sets, and the LSJ Greek Lexicon at a bargain price.  So I upgraded for the books. 

I am very pleased with the upgrade.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 8:23 PM

Michael Childs:

After being hesitant, I finally upgraded to L5. 

For me the packages are better than they were under L4.  I was Platinum under L4, and would have never considered the L4 Portfolio.

I'm happy for you. I agree the contents of the packages are more useful now. It seems that Portfolio has a lot more commentaries now and will better serve preachers. I still find plenty of historical and background material to woo me. The included commentaries were several I wanted but missed out on. I wish they had an Archaeology base package. Paradise 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 10715
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 9:46 AM

Doc B:
It appears the differences between L4 and L5 are minimal

Perhaps you need to take a look at Mark Barnes' video intro to L5  http://community.logos.com/forums/p/59381/422707.aspx#422707

Posts 10715
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 9:48 AM

J.D. Matthews:
I do like the Document management. I now pick to sort by type in the documents tab, so I can browse notes, clippings, etc. separately.

Also, if you hold the shift key down and click on another column, your documents will sort by that column which maintaining the sort by type.

Posts 56
Larry Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 10:16 AM

I'm staying with 4 because I just got done paying for it a few months ago.  The upgrade for my Silver is $461.  So far I've seen nothing even close to make it worth the upgrade.

I've actually been using my Dake bibles in paper form and it's been great!  Cheaper too.  Less upgrades to download, no indexing, one price and it's paid for, requires no electricity, several copies are still under $100, and my layouts are never lost.  Big Smile

Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS