Stealth sales?

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 41 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 11 2012 1:48 PM

I am not one to complain about Logos' promotional methods, but this seems to be a bit over the top. 

While I'm not that interested in the works of John Darby, I thought it might be helpful to get the free book setting forth his views on Genesis through 2 Chron (If he follows the Jewish order, this would be the entire OT).  When I used the Logos home page to access the offer, it ended up showing an upgrade to L5 Silver in addition to the book.  If they wish to say "Free book with the purchase of an L5 upgrade", that is their right and I would have no complaint.  This, however, is a bit sneaky and unlike what I am used to experiencing with Logos.

BTW:  I'm waiting for the free engine and crossgrade since I plan to add only those works I want which doesn't include homiletical material, sermons, counselling and numerous commentaries of no interest to me.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 1:57 PM

Hi George;

When I clicked on the same, it added the book to the cart with $0. No other items were added to the cart. I just checked this out a few moments ago. Logos may have fixed the issue.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 2:01 PM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:

Hi George;

When I clicked on the same, it added the book to the cart with tiny_mce_marker. No other items were added to the cart. I just checked this out a few moments ago. Logos may have fixed the issue.

Have you already gotten L5?  It still adds L5 to my cart.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 2:11 PM

I just went thru the Logos upgrade page making 'one last pass' before deciding on either 'nothing', 'less molassas' or 'gee-whiz-databases'.

I was really surprised at only finding 2 volumes in the whole sequence I might even want; certainly not need. And that should not be a surprise. Like some, my base 'package' was a paltry $350 (back in 2005?). And like many my Logos purchases are $14,000 and change (a sizable portion this last year).

In other words, their marketing equation is built off of  2.5% of my purchasing at Logos from 7 years ago. And a percentage smaller than I pay for Arizona sales tax that I pay on each Logos purchase.

Now, I know. I'm 'greedy'. And I 'get paid too much'.  (Both actually true, but that's irrelevent.)

I just don't understand why (hopefully) this week's additional choices were such an over-whelming amount of rocket-science.

And a free book for George, no less.

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 2:13 PM

George Somsel:

I am not one to complain about Logos' promotional methods, but this seems to be a bit over the top. 

When I used the Logos home page to access the offer, it ended up showing an upgrade to L5 Silver in addition to the book.  If they wish to say "Free book with the purchase of an L5 upgrade", that is their right and I would have no complaint.  This, however, is a bit sneaky and unlike what I am used to experiencing with Logos.

George, I do not have L5, and was not originally interested in the free book this month, but wanted to see if what occurred to you would happen to me.  It did not.  I had no mention of L5 on any of my pages going through the process.  I expected to, but did not.

Posts 2278
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 2:13 PM

George Somsel:

What happens when you delete L5 from your cart? Is it letting you progress with the order?

I wonder if there is a glitch. I bought a couple of books yesterday and found that I had Portfolio in my cart (I had upgraded a couple of days earlier). I dismissed it at the time assuming that I had done something stupid. I now wonder if there is a problem with the site.

The book definitely was available for free. I picked it up prior to and separately from upgrading to L5.

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 2:16 PM

George Somsel:

Yes, I already have L5. There may be a difference, but I can't confirm.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 2:38 PM

George Somsel:

While I'm not that interested in the works of John Darby, I thought it might be helpful to get the free book setting forth his views on Genesis through 2 Chron (If he follows the Jewish order, this would be the entire OT).  When I used the Logos home page to access the offer, it ended up showing an upgrade to L5 Silver in addition to the book.  If they wish to say "Free book with the purchase of an L5 upgrade", that is their right and I would have no complaint.  This, however, is a bit sneaky and unlike what I am used to experiencing with Logos.

BTW:  I'm waiting for the free engine and crossgrade since I plan to add only those works I want which doesn't include homiletical material, sermons, counselling and numerous commentaries of no interest to me.

This is the free book for the month of December.  I too am waiting for the free engine/cross-grade, and I was able to get this free book without any issues.

Posts 1842
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 2:54 PM

Andy Evans:

The book definitely was available for free. I picked it up prior to and separately from upgrading to L5.

This was my experience as well.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 3:07 PM

Andy Evans:
What happens when you delete L5 from your cart? Is it letting you progress with the order?

I didn't think about deleting it.  When it appeared in the cart, I simply killed it.  It works.  I simply don't like having things pushed on me.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 3:33 PM

George Somsel:

Andy Evans:

I didn't think about deleting it.  When it appeared in the cart, I simply killed it.  It works.  I simply don't like having things pushed on me.

Is it possible that you accidentally put the upgrade order in your cart at some other time while browsing the upgrades?

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 3:49 PM

Todd Phillips:

George Somsel:

Andy Evans:

Is it possible that you accidentally put the upgrade order in your cart at some other time while browsing the upgrades?

Positive since I only then thought of getting the book.  I have no use for dispensationalism so I really didn't think I would care for Darby, but decided it would be good to have a look at the source.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 4:44 PM

The book is free without L5.  When I bought another book this week, the L5 upgrade was listed in the orders.  You merely have to 'x' it off to remove it and  then get your free book

Like you, George, I am waiting for the cross-grade.  Most of my interest, like yours, are at the upper end of the resources like language studies etc.  To take their recommended upgrade I would have been purchasing a whole list of books that I had already decided, as they came out, that they were of no use or interest to me.  That makes no sense at all.  I'm trusting that the cross-grade will get us ALL the functionality and not just MOST or some fur is going to fly.  Having spent more than $25,000 on Logos over the past decade or so, I am expecting a bit more than MOST.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 4:59 PM

Nah ... Alex? They REALLY slide in an L5 upgrade on you?!

Posts 192
LogosEmployee
Mike Estes - Logos | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 9:23 PM

George Somsel:

Are you certain your cart was empty before you added it?  I just tried and I was unable to reproduce the issue of L5 being added to my cart. 

If you can remember the steps you took to get it to show up in your cart after adding the free book I would appreciate knowing as this is not a design that I am currently aware of us having.  And I will enter a bug to get this addressed and fixed if it does occur.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 11 2012 11:47 PM

I may be wrong, but I suspect I can guess what happened here. Did you by any chance click on the Customize button on the Upgrade page at some point, to see the additional discounts there? Since those offers are only open to people who upgrade, Logos assumes that anyone who clicks on that button wants the selected package, and adds it to the cart -- and there it sits until you either complete the order or delete it. Mystery solved?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 1:49 AM

Mike Estes - Logos:

Are you certain your cart was empty before you added it?  I just tried and I was unable to reproduce the issue of L5 being added to my cart. 

If you can remember the steps you took to get it to show up in your cart after adding the free book I would appreciate knowing as this is not a design that I am currently aware of us having.  And I will enter a bug to get this addressed and fixed if it does occur.

1. Open Logos home page
  2. Click on "Free Book of the Month"
  3. Click on "Learn More"
  4. Click on "Get Free Book"
  5. It was there

george
gfsomsel

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 1:54 AM

fgh:

I may be wrong, but I suspect I can guess what happened here. Did you by any chance click on the Customize button on the Upgrade page at some point, to see the additional discounts there? Since those offers are only open to people who upgrade, Logos assumes that anyone who clicks on that button wants the selected package, and adds it to the cart -- and there it sits until you either complete the order or delete it. Mystery solved?

Perhaps; I'm not sure.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 111
Richard Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 4:37 AM

I just opened my shopping cart, and found an upgrade I had not ordered. I did not order any book, so it has nothing to do with the Free Book of the Month or any other book purchases. But the moment I clicked the Customize button on the Logos 5 Upgrade page, the upgrade was added to the shopping cart. Maybe not a bug, as it should not be possible to get the discounts on the extra items without ordering the base package, but it can certainly create unpleasant surprises. There should be some way of seeing the custom options without being forced to put a package in the shopping cart.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 5:30 AM

Richard Wilson:
There should be some way of seeing the custom options without being forced to put a package in the shopping cart.
Yes

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS