Logos 5 Stops Mac Restart or Shutdown

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 37 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 10
Patrick Jones | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 12 2012 3:55 AM

I believe this is a bug. Logos 5 stops restart or Shutdown in Mountain Lion. After it does it, I can shutdown or restart, but it does it again the next time.

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 4:22 AM

Mmmmm — not necessarily. Other Mac apps can stop shutdown (restart) of OS X, not just Logos. Basically question is whether app will allow an 'unattended' shutdown of itself. I don't believe Logos 4/5 will, nor do I think it is a good idea to. Just manually close down Logos cleanly before shutting down your Mac.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 10
Patrick Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 4:37 AM

Wow. Seriously? It's not a bug. It's a feature. Come on.

Of course other apps can stop shutdown/restart in OSX. But they only do so if they are in the middle of a process and then they usually ask rather than automatically stop the process. Besides, your logic is flawed. If this was intentional behavior I would HAVE to manually close Logos. I don't. I just have the inane need to activate a shutdown twice. Foolishness.

Posts 1049
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 5:13 AM

That happens to me when I go to shut down the Mac. I notice it hangs out on the Syncing screen when shutdown aborts. I believe Logos does this to protect your content, though it would be nice if shutdown could be delayed until syncing was done.

If you're interested in a really fast shutdown, open terminal and type "sudo shutdown -h now" to shutdown or "sudo shutdown -r now" to restart. Doesn't matter what you have open, your computer is restarting. You could even create a [desktop/dock] shortcut to execute that for you if you're really in a hurry.

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 5:18 AM

I didn't say it was a feature,I implied it was a necessity/requirement/'good thing'.

I have other OS X apps that stop shutdowns from time to time, anyway on the point of shutting down Logos it (usually) has constantly open TCP/IP connection to Internet (Logos servers), I wouldn't be pushing/forcing it to shut down. It's no drama to me to shut it down, YMMV.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 27674
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 6:22 AM

William Gabriel:
I believe Logos does this to protect your content

Yes

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 10
Patrick Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 6:45 AM

And Logos isn't smart enough to figure out a better way to protect my content, like Evernote does? You lot don't think much of Logos, do you? THey are better than this and you should expect them to get there.

Is there a more appropriate place to submit my bog reports/feedback? I really do not want to debate why something doesn't work, but rather give them the feedback and let them decide what to do with it.

Posts 10
Patrick Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 6:50 AM

Patrick S.:

I didn't say it was a feature,I implied it was a necessity/requirement/'good thing'.

I have other OS X apps that stop shutdowns from time to time, anyway on the point of shutting down Logos it (usually) has constantly open TCP/IP connection to Internet (Logos servers), I wouldn't be pushing/forcing it to shut down. It's no drama to me to shut it down, YMMV.

The definition of a feature doesn't include "necessity/requirement/good thing"? You are justifying bad software design because it found a bad way to accomplish a good thing that can be done a better way. Moral theology doesn't work that way (ends don't justify the means), why should software?

Why is it "drama" to ask and expect better behavior from my software? And why are so many spending so much time defending mediocrity?

Posts 27674
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 7:10 AM

Patrick Jones:
Is there a more appropriate place to submit my bog reports/feedback? I really do not want to debate why something doesn't work, but rather give them the feedback and let them decide what to do with it.

This forum is good and you were right to post here. Smile

I don't think this is a bug because I believe Logos intended this behavior… but I could be wrong. I don't know if there is still time (there is a limited window), but you could try amending your subject line to include BUG:, which would catch the attention of Logos sooner. If my assumption that this is "intended" behavior, you could try making a suggestion in the suggestions forum.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 7:19 AM

You seem to be a bit touchy about this. A few people have already suggested it could be down to protecting data. If you want to complain to Logos you're free to of course. I won't be spending any more time on this discussion myself.  

Posts 274
Mike W | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 7:19 AM

Patrick Jones:
Why is it "drama" to ask and expect better behavior from my software? And why are so many spending so much time defending mediocrity?

If L5 is busy is can abort a shutdown request.  Other Mac programs do the same thing (I've had the apple mail app do this same thing when it had trouble syncing with the Yahoo mail server.  The mail app doesn't put up a dialog box when this happens. it simple drops me back a the desktop.).  Doing this every time you shut down is not normal behavior.  You might want to post your logs here so that some of the more technical people could try to help.  Also, have you tried calling Logos Technical support?

Posts 10
Patrick Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 12 2012 7:39 AM

Thank you all. I found and submitted to Logos tech support my email. To clarify, Logos does this every time and long after I last used it, so it seems process independent. It's a new 15" MacBook Pro Retina display so there should not be much time needed to complete any processes.

Posts 1049
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 13 2012 5:11 AM

I don't think we can put this all on Logos either. I think Mac OS's shutdown procedure is faulty. I did a restart this morning to clear things out, and before I hit the restart button, I remembered to close Logos.

Clicked restart, and the restart was stopped because of MacVim. So I went to close that program (figured there was an unsaved file or something like that) and found that it was closed by the OS.

Clicked restart again, and the restart was stopped because of iTunes. After I clicked the dialog that told me the restart was halted, iTunes closed on its own.

Clicked restart a third time, and that was the charm.

It seems to me that Apple has no patience when it comes to the shutdown procedure. If it can't immediately terminate a program, it stops the whole thing. If it would be willing to wait a few seconds and let users save files, programs shut down cleanly (e.g. Logos), then you wouldn't be having the shutdown issue. They have the countdown timer that gives you a minute after you click shutdown/restart; seems like they need another one while sending programs the TERM signal (that lets the user abort shutdown, or have some time to save files, or send the KILL signal to programs to force shutdown now).

So Patrick, I understand your irritation with this problem, but from my experience, I would place blame more on Apple than Logos.

Posts 274
Mike W | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 13 2012 7:02 AM

William Gabriel:
It seems to me that Apple has no patience when it comes to the shutdown procedure.

You know, at least one very popular operating system simply hangs up the system if is can close a program on shutdown.  While I think that it would be better if OSX put up a dialog box to let choose to wait for the programs to close or abort the shutdown failing back to a functioning operating system is more graceful than simply locking up the computer Wilted Flower.  I definitely wouldn't want the system to kill a process automatically.  Force shutdown should always be the user's choice since it could require some cleanup afterwards.

Posts 10548
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 13 2012 10:32 AM

Patrick Jones:
Logos does this every time and long after I last used it

Since no one else seems to be experiencing this, perhaps logs might help identify the reason it happens on your system.

Posts 1
John Walz | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 24 2012 11:02 AM

im definitely experiencing it.. been waiting a half hour now for logos to figure out what shut down means.   I don't like it when 500 dollar software doesn't work.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 24 2012 11:13 AM

Walz:

im definitely experiencing it.. been waiting a half hour now for logos to figure out what shut down means.   I don't like it when 500 dollar software doesn't work.

Welcome Big Smile

Personally have learned to quit Logos 4 and Logos 5 on OS X before shutting down OS X since niether application shuts down quickly when working online.

If working offline or have Use Internet set to No, then Logos 4 and Logos 5 quit much faster.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3
Dr. Jackson Hester | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 21 2012 5:20 PM

I had this same problem with the same mac. Now my Logos 5 will not shutdown at all without a force quit.Angry

Posts 10548
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 22 2012 4:53 AM

Dr. Jackson Hester:

I had this same problem with the same mac. Now my Logos 5 will not shutdown at all without a force quit.Angry

It would help if those of you who are having this problem would post logs. I noted this in my previous post, but so far no one has posted them.

The most convenient way to enable logging is to use the Applescript LogosLogging by KS4J. (Restart of Logos needed after enabling)

Then use Logos Log Scribe to create an archive of the logs on your desktop.

Use the paperclip on the message prep window to attach.

Posts 343

This has been an annoyance to me as well. 

Jason Saling

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS