A question about transfering Logos resources

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2521
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 15 2012 4:22 AM

I just upgraded to Logos 5 Silver.  It included Lange's Commentaries which I purchased separately several years ago.

If I wanted to transfer Lange's commentaries to another user (I don't), am I correct in thinking that I can no longer do so because the cost of my Logos 5 upgrade included these commentaries?

Thanks,

Ron

Posts 25202
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2012 4:29 AM

Hi Ron

I think you are probably correct but would need Logos to confirm

Graham 

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2012 4:41 AM

I haven't upgraded yet and when I look at the upgrade page Lange's is not shown new to L5.  Which seems to indicate that they didn't download with your upgrade.  So then I suspect you still have your original license to those books and could sell them separately.  However I agree that it would be best to hear from Logos on this matter. This raises a larger question, and that is , when does an upgrade or update constitute a change of license?  (And how do you know if your license has changed on a resource?)

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 25202
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2012 4:51 AM

Hi Jerry

Jerry M:
Which seems to indicate that they didn't download with your upgrade

I think this is Ron's point - that the fact he already had Lange's was included in the calculation of the price he paid for L5 Silver

Graham 

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2012 5:13 AM

I better understand the point now, but I still suspicion that the cost of an upgrade and the license of a set of resources are separate matters.  Aren't books licensed and not packages?  I don't really know, so that is a sincere question.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2012 5:20 AM

Jerry M:
I better understand the point now, but I still suspicion that the cost of an upgrade and the license of a set of resources are separate matters.  Aren't books licensed and not packages?  I don't really know, so that is a sincere question.

Could you rephrase the question? I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2012 6:37 AM

As I understand it we have a license on each book in our library. To sell a book we must go through customer service which looks at whether that license came individually or as part of a package. The licenses associated with a package must be kept together when sold.  If I am correct so far, it seems that you wouldn't lose the individual status of a license just because you upgraded to a package which included that license even if the new package was priced based on the previous ownership of that license. Of course I am only speculating and don't really know anything about how that might really work. (Just got caught up in the conversation ;-)

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2012 6:50 AM

Jerry M:

So then I suspect you still have your original license to those books and could sell them separately. 

I'm not sure if I am totally following your train of thought here, but here's my opinion.  If you own a resource and then upgrade your product with an upgrade that contains resource(s) that you already own,  you are getting a discount on the price of your upgrade.  Essentially, you are not paying for another license for that particular resource, so I think it would be dishonest to attempt to sell it.  (Even if you could.)  If Logos did not take into account what you own and priced all upgrades the same, then that would be a different story.  By "selling" a license for a product you think you paid twice for, Logos would be the loser in the transaction.

"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell."  -  Beyond Our Suffering - AILD

Posts 4155
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2012 7:05 AM

As I understand the original question, OP was wanting to transfer a commentary series to another because he had a per-existing license. Thus the question could then be one of two things:

1. I don't use lange and want to transfer it to someone else, and so did my initial license become a part of the new package I just purchased.

OR

2. I want Lange, and I want my friend to have Lange, so can I transfer my original license to my friend, and use the new license that comes with the new package.

In the first case I think you could probably transfer the title to your friend.

In the second case, I think you are out of luck. I suspect you only have the ONE license.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 10836
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2012 8:36 AM

Ronald Quick:

I just upgraded to Logos 5 Silver.  It included Lange's Commentaries which I purchased separately several years ago.

If I wanted to transfer Lange's commentaries to another user (I don't), am I correct in thinking that I can no longer do so because the cost of my Logos 5 upgrade included these commentaries?

Once you accept an upgrade price based on your ownership of Lange, that set of commentaries becomes part of the new package for you. Your dynamic price was based upon your possessing Lange; if Logos allowed you to now transfer Lange to someone else, you would have received a discount for which you were not qualified.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2012 9:20 AM

If he sells Lange then his new package no longer contains Lange and is now worth less.  I'm just saying there is two ways of looking at it.  Does anyone know if Logos has a definite policy on this?  Perhaps rather than a financial issue, Logos considers packages as a unit.  Since you probably have only one license for Lange, then you can't sell it separately.  Still only conjecture on my part.

Posts 2521
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2012 10:18 AM

Jack Caviness:
Once you accept an upgrade price based on your ownership of Lange, that set of commentaries becomes part of the new package for you. Your dynamic price was based upon your possessing Lange; if Logos allowed you to now transfer Lange to someone else, you would have received a discount for which you were not qualified.

That is what I thought.

Posts 10836
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2012 11:04 AM

Jerry M:
Does anyone know if Logos has a definite policy on this?  Perhaps rather than a financial issue, Logos considers packages as a unit.

That is the policy which I believe Logos stated sometime ago. However, I do not remember when or in what thread that information was given.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2012 11:24 AM

Jerry M:
Does anyone know if Logos has a definite policy on this?

Logos gives a lower price on the base package upgrade based on how many resources you already own.  That is why everyone's upgrade prices are unique to them.  When you buy a new car you may trade in your old car for a "trade-in allowance" thereby reducing the amount you pay the car dealer. After the transaction you can not sell your old car to a third party because the car dealer now owns your old car. The same is true of your Logos licenses. I have heard upgrade prices that vary widely due to the amount of duplicated content users have. I suppose it is possible to sell off the duplicated resources before  you upgrade. But I assure you the dynamic calculator would come up with a higher upgrade price.

We had the same discussion when L4 came out a few years back. Certain users could not grasp the analogy and were trying to sell their old licenses. Logos addressed the issue then. Maybe Keep Smiling 4 Jesus can search the forums and find the Logos answer..?? (He is very good at digging up information.)

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2012 11:55 AM

I think the general consensus is correct. I'm content with what Jack and others have said : - ) 

Posts 1729
LogosEmployee
Hunter Clagett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2012 1:53 PM

I just wanted to jump in here with a clarification.

If you purchase an upgrade and you have a package or item already that would give a discount based on the dynamic pricing system we absolutely can perform a transfer of that package or single item.

However, we will need to charge you the difference between the dynamic or discounted price that you paid and the price for the upgrade without that package along with the usual $20 license transfer fee.

That is, if you purchase an upgrade which is normally $200.00, and receive a dynamic price based on an already-purchased package or item of $150.00 we would need to charge $70.00 ($50.00 for the price difference + $20.00 transfer fee) to transfer that license. 

Hope that helps,

- Hunter Clagett

Logos 4 Bug Report - Mac | PC

Proclaim - Mac/PC

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2012 2:15 PM

WOW.

Glad to hear this. I don't really NEED Logos5. But I'm sure, as gehenna is hot as a firecracker, don't need my licenses 'locked up' somehow with a dynamic crossgrade. Maybe they already are! Maybe I owe Logos more than I paid for my original OL.

Oh, if I'd only known. (as usual joking, sort of). Good thing Logos informed the L5 upgraders! Along with Logos taking their money without informing them of the crossgrade etc. Who works there?

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 2521
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 15 2012 2:33 PM

I like the dynamic pricing and I understand Logos' position.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS