Lexham Bible Guides Over-priced?

Page 3 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 42 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 1844
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2013 11:17 PM

So we're basically paying for this new "algorithm" logos just found so that we should BUY more resources that we don't have????

Didn't LOGOS just released LOGOS 5??? why didn't you guys implement this "algorithm" in LOGOS 5 in the first place??

BAD marketing trick Logos..

This definitely target most internet people the "compulsive buyers" to make more mistakes.

I sense the force of "for the love of money" in the LOGOS administration is strong on this one......

Posts 4772
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2013 8:47 AM

I liked the idea of these guides...or at least the idea I thought they were focused on addressing. I admit the pricing eventually caused me to back off. However, I still think there would be great value in a series that covers in a summative/descriptive way the history of theological exposition of each book of the Bible. In other words, a review of each book in a chapter by chapter or pericope by pericope summation of the variety of ways the books have been understood and interpreted. On some level, I think this is what these guides are intending, but I also think the target audience is somewhat fictional. Rich busy people might love the idea of these guides, but if you are busy getting rich, you probably aren't interested in these guides...and there lies the paradox.

I understand the concept of producing materials that help customers get the most out of their investment in Logos, while also perhaps encouraging further investment. I don't see that as a problem. I'm just not sure that the way that goal is being attempted here is answering actual needs. It may not be cost effective for Logos to do something that is simultaneously ambitious and limited...or at least not in the way this series has framed itself and its purpose, since it seems to result in the project being at cross purposes.

A survey of interpretation that is "comprehensive in a limited way" is both desirable and tricky to pull off. I could probably spend many paragraphs talking about the challenge, but I'm not sure it is time well spent. Not because it isn't a valuable and worthy pursuit, but because it is a very time intensive pursuit that requires extensive amounts of critical judgment and decision-making. As much as I would like to make a case for what I'm describing, I feel my time would be better spent engaging the resources I already own.

That said, I hope the efforts of those who have devoted their energies to this series find an audience. Making that happen may require some adjustment in the intent of the project.

Posts 10429
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2013 9:02 AM

Gee Mike. Logos is a BUSINESS. 'For the love of money' is what businesses 'do'. That's what they 'want'.

We left the world you're imagining back with Logos2. Libronix was their conversion phase.

Page 3 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS