Lexham Discourse Handbook: Romans Charts?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1132
Liam | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 17 2012 12:24 PM

This resource isn't out yet, but I was checking out the sample page and it looks like it has many charts that trace the line of thought (mapping out all the "for" and "therefore"s) to give a detailed list of Paul's line of thought in Romans. This is an awesome concept and really helpful visual aid (and it would be great if there was a resource that did this for all of the NT).

What I'm wondering is if anyone knows if it has line of thought charts for every passage of the entire book of Romans, or if these are just introductory material to illustrate what this resource is all about. In the sample pages it isn't very clear. (If not, Logos should make an entire resource of these charts -Hint Hint). To be able to look at the line of thought on a chart at a glance without having to anylize the text would be a really helpful aid. 

I know that no one has this book yet, so I guess the only people who can answer would be Logos people who are working on the project.

http://www.logos.com/product/28340/lexham-discourse-handbook-romans

Thanks all-

Posts 21
LogosEmployee
Dr. Steven E. Runge (Logos) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 29 2012 12:58 PM

Hi Liam,

My intention is to do a charting for the whole GNT, but it will take a lot of research and refining. My goal is to use writing of the discourse handbooks as the excuse to begin work on the charting. 

I also want to see the charts be something other than static images, but including the complete set would add significantly to the price of the resource. Besides the price considerations, I am still trying to work out a system/methodology that could be consistently applied. It seemed best to proceed with the handbook without the complete charts than to hold it back for a few years while I refine the charting. At this point the handbook is nothing more than an idea I thought might be useful, and the charts are just another idea long the same lines. Both are arm-waving at the moment, now I need to go and "make them so." Unfortunately, the charting will take help from others (designers and programmers) to get it out of the arm-waving stage. 

Regards,

Steve

Posts 1132
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 30 2012 3:29 PM

Thanks for the response Steve,

I'm sure there are many who would be interested in something of that sort in the future! This along with the HDNT looks like a very helpful tool!

Posts 3166
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 30 2012 3:57 PM

Dr. Steven Runge (Logos):

Hi Liam,

My intention is to do a charting for the whole GNT, but it will take a lot of research and refining. My goal is to use writing of the discourse handbooks as the excuse to begin work on the charting. 

I also want to see the charts be something other than static images, but including the complete set would add significantly to the price of the resource. Besides the price considerations, I am still trying to work out a system/methodology that could be consistently applied. It seemed best to proceed with the handbook without the complete charts than to hold it back for a few years while I refine the charting. At this point the handbook is nothing more than an idea I thought might be useful, and the charts are just another idea long the same lines. Both are arm-waving at the moment, now I need to go and "make them so." Unfortunately, the charting will take help from others (designers and programmers) to get it out of the arm-waving stage. 

Regards,

Steve

Is your work going to mirror SIL in the "A Semantic and Structural Analysis" series, this series has been very helpful in studying the NT books it is available in.

Posts 56
LogosEmployee
Steve Runge | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 31 2012 12:31 PM

Hi Whyndell,

It covers different material than the SIL SSAs, but is complementary. The main component of the SSAs is the semantic relationship between the clauses. These are often based more on the semantics of the sentence content than on the formal markers like conjunctions, whereas what I am doing focuses more on the latter rather than the former. They would (should!) complement one another and be in agreement. So far the SSA series is incomplete and I do not know what the plans are for finishing it.

Regards,

Steve

Posts 1132
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2013 9:16 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:
A Semantic and Structural Analysis" series, this series has been very helpful in studying the NT books it is available in.

Whyndell,

I have never heard of this series before. I just looked it up. It looks like it would be a great tool to use in Logos, and would definitely go hand in hand with this and the HDNT! Couldn't find it on the Logos site though, just Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Semantic-Structural-Analysis-Romans-Analyses/dp/1556710720/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1357027442&sr=8-5&keywords=Semantic+and+Structural+Analysis

Posts 3166
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 1 2013 10:32 AM

Liam

I have suggested this series a couple of times- last I heard they were trying to get something going on it- but nothing as of yet.

Here is the link to the SIL web page http://www.ethnologue.com/show_catalog.asp?by=ser&name=SSA

Posts 56
LogosEmployee
Steve Runge | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 12 2013 9:49 AM

Be on the look out for these and other SIL publications coming up on prepub soon!

Posts 3166
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 12 2013 9:54 AM

YesBig Smile

Posts 431
Adam Olean | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 12 2013 10:22 AM

Dr. Steven Runge (Logos):

Be on the look out for these and other SIL publications coming up on prepub soon!

Thanks for the update, Dr. Runge! I am looking forward to it.

I also hope Logos will offer Stephen Levinsohn's Discourse Features of New Testament Greek as soon as he has finished his revisions on the next edition, Lord willing.

Posts 1132
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 12 2013 4:54 PM

Great news!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS