L5 Silver or lower level now or wait for L6?

Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 41 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 5:34 AM

Hello Unix,

I am late to this discussion but a few things to keep in mind:

one: There are other Logos5 basepackages some you can see here: http://www.logos.com/catholic#compare

as well one you can't see: the Biblical Languages packages you have to call sales about. 

two: These packages aren't the last word: 

Bob Pritchett:
I expect we may even have other specialized collections.
 Fri, Nov 23 2012 7:38 AM(link)

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 6:33 AM

Thanks, BKMitchell! But Pritchett probably doesn't think that the kind of theology I would want sells. I have Original Languages, which must be quite equivalent to Biblical Languages.

The professor has replied now, he couldn't reply earlier because he was in the U.S. on conferences etc.:

Unix:
My theological college has still not responded to all  the emails I've sent asking if the books in Silver would be of use - I guess they don't understand why I'm asking since few of the books I'm enquiring about are required literature in the courses in question. I'll just have to guess by myself?

For example the course Jesus and the Gospels, I wanted to know if the following books would be of use:
Why
Four Gospels?

Theological
Lexicon of the New Testament (3 vols.)

The Four-Fold Gospel

Eusebian
Canons

The Unexpected Jesus

Jesus
Is Lord: Christology Yesterday and Today

The professor said: that he thinks that Why Four Gospels and The Four-Fold Gospel are dated  but he didn't know these two titles, and that The Unexpected Jesus and Jesus is Lord: Christology Yesterday and Today while being new are not on an academic level (and he didn't know The Unexpected Jesus). The rest are not needed at all. Gk is not needed in this course.

He said that if I have access to the Bible Senses Lexicon I can have use of it for depth.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 8:30 AM

Anyone who still wants to give advice is welcome!

When I looked more closely at it, that one is not that intresting anymore:

Unix:
Plus Silver and up has: 1788 A Compendium of Christian Theology
I just read in: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/58108/434735.aspx#434735 that fgh thinks that the ordinary base-packages are very evangelical. I've heard people say that before. That bothers me a bit. Although I'm not saying that I want all that much RC content either.

Now I found some information about one of the books in Silver that would be useful in the psychology of religion course: http://www.bookwire.com/The-Christian-and-Social-Responsibility-9781938484063.html

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 1861
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 1:31 PM

Unix:

Anyone who still wants to give advice is welcome!

the ordinary base-packages are very evangelical. I've heard people say that before. That bothers me a bit. Although I'm not saying that I want all that much RC content either.

Now I found some information about one of the books in Silver that would be useful in the psychology of religion course: http://www.bookwire.com/The-Christian-and-Social-Responsibility-9781938484063.html

I am confused that you state you are bothered by the base packages being very evangelical, then your next statement is that a resource by Charles Ryrie (who is squarely in the conservative side of American evangelicalism) would be useful.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 7:57 AM

When needed - almost regardless of what I read or study - I'm cautious about what theology has been applied (and a bit critical too - which can be seen in for example which commentaries I've bought such as Hermeneia and Biblical Performance Criticism Series (4 vols.)) - but what I do is that I try to filter the books. So I want to read good scholars and am aware of that they can come from many different denominations. I will be taking some classes in a Protestant college so there are books in Silver (many of them in Bronze) that will proove to be good to have.

What I especially would like to avoid, are pentecostal titles (I have just one pentecostal book that I like: The Jimmy Swaggart Bible, it's a commentary, I have just one volume on 1 Cor, I thought it was intresting to see how a person who believes glossolalia is OK interprets the book in the Bible that speaks about that), methodism, wesleyanism, reformed.
In my latest purchases, pre-orders, and collections that I'm considering to pre-order I haven't chosen Anglican or Lutheran ones, but rather Anabaptist, Methodist, early reformation (John Huss), and works where many have collaborated (so that I haven't had time yet to figure out which theology each collaborator adheres to), but like I said I'm unsure about the methodist collection.

David Thomas:
Unix:
the ordinary base-packages are very evangelical. I've heard people say that before. That bothers me a bit. Although I'm not saying that I want all that much RC content either.

I am confused that you state you are bothered by the base packages being very evangelical, then your next statement is that a resource by Charles Ryrie (who is squarely in the conservative side of American evangelicalism) would be useful.
More on the composition of the base-packages
I can see that both Silver and Bronze contain equally little Biblical Studies titles, and that Silver doesn't have The Creeds of Christendom (3 vols.) and Handbook for Hebrew Exegesis, so that's something I'm glad about.

So, the content being evangelical Protestant is not the worst possible option. Each of the the new Logos 5 base-package includes everything from the Logos 5 base-packages that are lower, so I get really annoying things like apologetics (Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics) and Ministry.

Besides my preferences for theology which I've explained (You can see more about that on my Logos profile) which is not markedly adherent to any specific existing denomination, I largely go by topics covered - i.e. the content. For an example, while the title Creeds, Councils and Controversies: Documents Illustrating the History of the Church, AD 337–461, New Edition because of the general theological bent of the base-packages may or may not be theologically what I would like to see I may have some use of this title at some point in my studies if I have it (included in Silver, Verbum Scripture Study, Essential Reference Bundle or Early Church History Collection), whereas none of the other titles in Silver under the heading Church History are of any use whatsoever - much because I regard them as unreliable and rather read more critical history such as: Paul Johnson (1979). History of Christianity. (not available in Logos) which I have as an original hardback since ~a year.

So I do need documents and things like that on my computer, especially because I don't have internet, to be able to study efficiently. I wish they would have included more such in Silver instead of so many Sermons. While I'm not as annoyed by the the titles under the heading Sermons I value those extremely low, not just because of theological issues but because of what type of books I usually buy. I admit that it's much better though to have sermons on  the computer than as printed matter. However, like I said those add no actual value!! So what I mean is that I'm really not seduced by the number of books.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 5:11 PM

Hi Unix!

A couple of tidbits...

1. Don't wait for L6. L5 is excellent, and you should go ahead and upgrade. Waiting for L6 will be a long wait and there's plenty to enjoy today.

2. If you don't want the new books but want all the L5 datasets, checkout the L5 Minimal Crossgrade, not the L5 Core Datasets. That'll give you all the new L5 datasets, as well as some additional resources, just not all the new base collection stuff.

3. If you're going for a base collection, get the highest one you can possibly afford. I went for L5 Platinum, and I can already tell there's some new books there I'll definitely use. You might not think you need all the extra books by going higher, but I've noticed that after getting a higher base collection, it was worth it. Time and time again I've needed books in it and glad I got it. Once I can afford it, I want to try to get into Diamond.

4. I would probably recommend at least Silver. Silver is what I had way back when I first started buying Logos collections, and I wouldn't go less than Silver. What you can do if you want Silver plus all the L5 datasets is get Silver, then add on the Minimal Crossgrade. The MC would only be a few extra dollars to add on after getting Silver, and that'll give you a wealth of new books plus all of the L5 datasets.

5. You could also look at Gold, then you wouldn't need to MC at all. You'd get all of the L5 datasets and a lot of good books. That might be out of your price range though. If it is, stick with Silver and do the MC afterwards. You'll get a wealth of books for seminary and have all the L5 tools.

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 8:16 AM

Could anyone tell me: what are some Silver titles that I haven't mentioned that could interest me or proove useful? Preferably list other things than reference, my primary use of Logos is really not as reference and like I've stated in a post in this thread there is too much weight on reference in Silver!

Nathan Parker:
3. If you're going for a base collection, get the highest one you can possibly afford. I went for L5 Platinum, and I can already tell there's some new books there I'll definitely use. You might not think you need all the extra books by going higher, but I've noticed that after getting a higher base collection, it was worth it. Time and time again I've needed books in it and glad I got it. Once I can afford it, I want to try to get into Diamond.

4. I would probably recommend at least Silver.

The MC after purchasing Silver would be $6 according to posts I've seen. According to the overview from a couple of weeks ago, Gold would add 2 resources + 1 dataset that could be purchased and added separately to Silver for $70. The downsides would be a whole lot of undesired content which I'm sure I wouldn't use. I wouldn't value the additional books many ¢ a piece. I'm being honest to myself and everyone about this. The discount %:age wouldn't be greater.
Nathan Parker:
5. You could also look at Gold, then you wouldn't need to MC at all. You'd get all of the L5 datasets and a lot of good books. That might be out of your price range though. If it is, stick with Silver and do the MC afterwards. You'll get a wealth of books for seminary and have all the L5 tools.

When I upgraded to L4 I didn't see Scholar's as an alternative at all. Bronze is said to be equivalent to it now in L5.

A quote from another review of L5 base-packages: http://jeltzz.blogspot.com/2012/11/logos-logos-5-and-why-their-sales-model.html
"bundles work best when they are a synergistic bunch of books/products that you would want together. The bundles in the base package aren't really like that: they are huge bundles of books that I would never buy in print, probably never read, and many of them are of lesser quality. Short of getting Platinum/Diamond/Portfolio level packages, most of the decent resources in terms of books are not included. So you not only pay more to get more  resources, you have to pay more to get better resources.

Essentially this is junk-bundling."

Another review, actually Libronix Scholar's Silver 2004 Edition: http://www.bookreviews.org/bookdetail.asp?TitleId=4873
A quote: "My experience with the program is that it suffices for basic work."
The review takes up English Bibles, original language recources, commentaries and Church History, and after that says: "The rest of the material in the library is aimed at pastors. These include the Fresh Ideas Series, the Leadership Library Series, Library for Leadership Development, Library of Christian Leadership, Mastering Ministry Series, Pastor’s Soul Series, Pressure Point Series, Bible study training, sermons, quotations, small-group resources, home school and Christian education, Christian living, and useful devotions."

Another quote from the review: "From a scholarly point of view, the library could still be improved in spite of the great value the library already has. Books on hermeneutics and exegetical methods, for instance, largely lack. Two books are indeed listed under the heading hermeneutics, but they are not sufficient. There are excellent books available on methods for reading ancient texts. I am thinking of books like that of Wilhelm Egger, Joel Green, Stanley Porter, Howard Fee, or even the older book of Howard Marshall on New Testament interpretation, to name but a few. There are also several books on hermeneutics, of which those of Thiselton (Two Horizons and New Horizons) would be a really valuable addition to this library. Then there are books on narratology by, for instance, Tolmie or Powell, books on sociology by Elliott, and so forth. A proper overview of the history of Old and New Testament research would also be of value. There are also significant theologies on both Old and New Testament. Even some of the older ones, such as that of von Rad, Bultmann, or Goppelt, are still influential and would enhance the quality of this library. It would be a positive step if Logos could pay some attention to these areas.
    Obviously, this raises the question of price. I am sure Logos could include many more books (as is suggested above), but what would the effect be on the price?"
And: "I especially recommend lecturers to encourage their students to start out with Logos."

And here is yet another review of Logos 5 generally: http://www.robertdryer.com/?p=3982
A quote: "Any gripes about Logos? [...] it is clearly skewed towards a Reformed/Calvinist bent in its presentation of orthodox Christianity. Because of this skew the breadth and scope of study in orthodox Christianity is hindered. But frankly one probably won’t notice this unless you’re an avid and well informed student of Christianity and its traditions systematically, analytically, and dogmatically. However, I notice it at every level of the software’s content and I think this is a blind spot for its creators."

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 2:09 PM

I need to look over your list, but resources such as the New American Commentary, Early Church Fathers, and back on Logos 2/Series X, it contained all the datasets for the "Biblical Languages Supplement" (which I'm sure it still does, just with new names) sealed it for me. I'd have to look at the latest Silver list to see what would be ideal for you, but way back when, those three items alone sealed it.

In Platinum 4, I'm glad I went for it way back when. It added some ethics books and some additional tools I needed desperately in college. Platinum 5 added Shaeffer and some other titles I've been wanting or needing.

Silver plus the MC would be a good way for you to go. If you truly believe you're going to use the books in Gold and can afford it, go for it. It's amazing what books I actually end up needing when I never thought I'd need them. College has thrown me for surprises time and time again when I've been asked to write this paper or that book review and I have absolutely no idea what books to consult or what I should be writing about. Logos has saved me time and time again. :-)

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 2:47 AM

Hello Unix,

Unix:
I have Original Languages, which must be quite equivalent to Biblical Languages.

I too have Logos4 Original Languages, but not Logos5 Biblical language package as I upgraded to Logos 5 core Databasesets before I learned of the Logos5 Biblical language package. At, this point no one has reported on what the new Logos5 Biblical language package includes and it seems it is only sold over the phone but I like you assume it must be similar, too.  Anyway, I think it might be best if you too go with the Core Database sets and just add what you need.

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 7:33 AM

I don't need NAC. You can see from my Logos profile that I have covered much of the Bible with a different commentary set - it's not complete but I'm not concerned about covering every book of the Bible with a real commentary, often introductions are enough, for that I have: Oxford Encyclopedia of the Books of the Bible.
I have the Early Church Fathers Catholic Edition since I have the L4 Catholic Foundations (equivalent to L5 Verbum Basic) and the only difference to the Protestant Edition is the notes, not the text. My sales-rep told me that I would be discounted because I own the Church Fathers even though it's not the exactly same Edition, if I would upgrade to an L5 base-package that has it.

Nathan Parker:
I need to look over your list, but resources such as the New American Commentary, Early Church Fathers, and back on Logos 2/Series X, it contained all the datasets for the "Biblical Languages Supplement" (which I'm sure it still does, just with new names) sealed it for me.
I asked someone to do a search on "Yoder" in the Silver base-package. In Rediscovering Expository Preaching his book H. Wayne Pitkin and John H. Yoder, trans. and ed., Balthasar Hubmaier, Theologian of Anabaptism (Scottsdale, Ariz.: Herald, 1989) is referenced, Rediscovering Expository Preaching writes: "Influenced by Zwingli was the Anabaptist, Balthasar Hubmaier (1485–1528), who, despite heavy persecution, produced writings filled with the exposition of Scripture"
I have the John Howard Yoder Collection (12 vols.) in pre-order.
+ Barnabas Lindars gets used by the author of NAC Heb, is in the bibliography of these 3 books: NAC 1, 2 Peter, Jude, The Bible Knowledge Commentary and Baker's Dictionary of Practical Theology. I wouldn't use NAC for Heb, the commentary I have is acknowledged as better and closer to the theology I believe in.
The Catholic college replied now regarding the OT course, and he said something like that http://www.logos.com/product/10488/philo-and-holy-scripture-text-and-apparatus would have been good but that the book is from the 19th century.
It was hard for him to say because he didn't know these 3 books:
http://www.logos.com/product/1157/a-survey-of-old-testament-introduction
http://www.logos.com/product/2217/the-bible-guide
http://www.logos.com/product/16941/the-complete-book-of-when-and-where-in-the-bible-and-throughout-history
And he also said that the publisher of http://www.logos.com/product/2672/building-your-biblical-hebrew-vocabulary is very serious but that the book is not needed unless I want to learn Hebrew.
And he said that http://www.logos.com/product/5798/baker-encyclopedia-of-the-bible is probably all right but that it's 25 years old.
Just getting databases would cost something too, and Core Datasets doesn't contain that much. The options of getting datasets only would cause the same problem as Silver: that my Logos would function mainly just as reference - unless I afford adding a lot of quality books highly specific for what I need.
BKMitchell:
I think it might be best if you too go with the Core Database sets and just add what you need.
In my previous post I mentioned the Libronix (that is L3) Scholar's Silver -review. Well, L5 Silver doesn't contain the whole Pastoral Leadership Bundle = Fresh Ideas + Leadership Library + Library of Leadership Development + Library of Christian Leadership + Mastering Ministry + Pastor’s Soul + Pressure Point -series. Good that it doesn't contain the entire Pastoral Leadership Bundle, but those type of resources are of no use (yet?) so that's one reason why I have been thinking of waiting until L6.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 35
Daniel Luke Gonzalez | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2012 7:49 PM

After reading through the forum, didn't see anyone mention the wealth of value that Silver has by containing the Church Fathers and the Apostolic Father's interlinear. Being in a training for Theology myself, I can tell you that those two resources are invaluable for some good research. Especially since you can do the cited by search function against these two resources. Had to translate a passage from 1 Clement for my Intermediate Greek class and Logos shortened my homework time down to two hours of research and typing up the paper. Other people, poor souls without these resources (or logos for that matter), spent nearly 6+ hours manually looking through a lexicon and searching endlessly through various commentaries, just hoping that the resource actually dealt with their passage. 

Even if you are not doing any Original Language studies at your University, being able to search against a Greek word, but being able to read it in English, is going to prove very useful in justifying your connection between two passages. 

Also, professors will love you if you quote the church fathers in relation to the studies you have in various passages. And it never hurts to get some brownie points with professors. Wink

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2012 4:52 AM

Summary of my studies and how they coincide with L6

Gonzalez, I have started on my own to learn NT Gk. First I will be studying classical Gk (in the Fall 2013). Then I will study Theology, for example the course Jesus and the Gospels in the Protestant college, the OT course in the Catholic college, the Psychology of religion course in the Protestant college, the Anabaptism course in the Protestant college.
Only after all that I'll study Biblical Gk, in the Protestant college.

So by the time I can do mediocre or worse translations of the Apostolic Fathers, L6 has come out. And by that time I will probably not continue my studies and switch to Science. And my plan was that after that I would try study to become a college engineer - however I'm a bit unsure about that part since by then I may feel that I'm too old to study.

The protestant college is rather small even though it's in the largest city in this country, so I don't have all that much to choose from there. The town where the Catholic college is situated has a better library but that college is small aswell.

Still, anyone who wants to give me advice is welcome!

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 35
Daniel Luke Gonzalez | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2012 6:31 PM

BKMitchell:

Hello Unix,

Unix:
I have Original Languages, which must be quite equivalent to Biblical Languages.

I too have Logos4 Original Languages, but not Logos5 Biblical language package as I upgraded to Logos 5 core Databasesets before I learned of the Logos5 Biblical language package. At, this point no one has reported on what the new Logos5 Biblical language package includes and it seems it is only sold over the phone but I like you assume it must be similar, too.  Anyway, I think it might be best if you too go with the Core Database sets and just add what you need.

Actually, somebody just posted the list of resources today. Seeing as how I just heard about the Biblical Languages package, I'm going to call Logos on Monday and see what the price is and if this list is accurate. If it is, at a reasonable price, I'm going to go with this one.

Posts 5114
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 8 2012 12:15 AM

Hi Unix, Appreciate your difficult decision and that you want to get the most value for your spend based on limited funds. 

My advice would be as follows:

1) Forget about L6, it probably won't come before you start your course.

2) You can do a lot of reading on the topics of interest to you as they relate to the subjects that most interest you in terms of your course so make a general list of those topics and evaluate the various options open to your budget in terms of those topics, possibly even ranking those topics in order of what you are most to least passionate about.  The ones you are more passionate about you are most likely to read in the lead up to your course.  

3) Don't get hung up about english translation you are not to interested in having.  Every software product just about on the market will come with a list of english translations.  Cross this item of the list of factors to consider

4) Take a second look at the books in the packages that don't fall into point 2 above.  You might be a lot less likely or not at all to read them, and they may not be on a reading list for your course but consider are they going to be useful to have in your library for reference material when you are writing papers.  I suspect you will need to reference more than the books on your course reading lists if you have to write a paper to show you have looked into the topic widely rather than limiting your research - but you would need to clarify expectations with your course supervisors at the time, but having a broader library than what you think you actually read will come in handy when you least expect it.

5) Only let books you are not interested in become a deciding factor if they form a critical mass - if the books you do want are going to cost the same or less if you purchase them as part of the package compared to purchasing them separately buy the package and consider the other books as part of your broader reference library that you are getting for free.

6) Don't ever expect there to be a perfect Logos package that suits your needs fully - if there ever is, it probably wont' suit my needs, or the rest of the people who have offered advice..  I know some people would just rather Logos say you can have x% off on whatever grab bag of resources you want, but not all publishers would agree to this or to the same amount of discount.  

I know I haven't given specific recommendations, but you know your budget, you know what topics you are passionate about and what you are wanting to study.  You have the knowledge that is going to allow you to make the decision.  I have never regretted a package choice I have made, and always been blessed to find resources I thought might not be of value or interest to me later on became exactly that.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 9:53 AM

Nathan Parker and Andrew Mckenzie, it's not so much about how good L5 is. It may be good. But if I would wait for L6 I would bet newer books. True that my studies will start, but perhaps I'm being over-ambitious wanting to read all kinds of distantly related books to be prepared? But when thinking about this - the ambition is desirable, especially to learn and research for my own benefit and not only the required topics.

Related to all this, is that I know that if I wait many years there will come titles that are much more desirable than any of the books currently offered that are not must-haves for me but merely good-to-haves. It's just difficult to decide because if I don't get the base-package I will spend as much or more on individual titles and collections not having saved any $, just a bit of effort not having to go through the huge library of hundreds of extra books.

Here's a post that sounds a lot like my problematique: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/62212/439948.aspx#439948

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 1:33 PM

Unix:

Still, anyone who wants to give me advice is welcome!

[Advice]

A Logos 5 in the hand is worth two Logos 6's in the bush.

[/Advice]

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 4:50 PM

My advice?

If there is nothing in the packages that you must have... consider the theological journal libaries. These to me are must haves.... They are one of my most used resources after the bible.

Professors at my seminary LOVE to see that I'm reading and using as sources theological journals.

https://www.logos.com/product/8114/theological-journal-library-vols-1-10

https://www.logos.com/product/8116/theological-journal-library-vol-15

https://www.logos.com/product/8116/theological-journal-library-vol-14

https://www.logos.com/product/8116/theological-journal-library-vol-13

https://www.logos.com/product/8116/theological-journal-library-vol-12

https://www.logos.com/product/8116/theological-journal-library-vol-11

https://www.logos.com/product/8824/tabletalk

https://www.logos.com/product/27604/themelios-1-37

I have most of the above (though not 12, 14, or 15 nor all of table talk, nor all of themelios), and what I have I love. The ones I lack will be my next major purchases.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 7:03 AM

There is for example the The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church, rev. ed.

Ken Baker:
If there is nothing in the packages that you must have... [...]
Right now I began to think that there is something wrong about needing to make the studies so broad. I want to exlude some topics now. Just have to think about what topics but I probably am not going to give up on Greek and all the commentaries. But the commentaries in Silver are worthless (a word I rarely use), I'd only use Lange's Jonah a little and that's it.

This is because I would otherwise spend too many $ and months on the studies.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 7:34 AM

Unless I miss my guess here it sounds like you have a different approach than I do to my digital library. I do not read all of every single book. I store them and then later when a specific topic comes up I search across all books and journals to learn what they have to say. I recently wrote a paper on ephesians 2:1-10, searched the scripture reference, and read all of the relevant information. Then I searched key phrases (sons of disobedience for instance) and read all the information. I then looked at the greek (I am no greek scholar, but checking the verbs is always a good idea). Then I noticed two one book commentaries on ephesians. Ordered them, and then began to write my paper (10 pages).

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 13 2012 6:55 AM

Thanks, Baker, then I understand Your suggestion. I do read through books, even technical ones such as ICC. Naturally I wouldn't read through everything in Silver.

One user, strangertoo, gave an advice just now: http://www.christianforums.com/t7702881-3/#post61967616

Unless someone is financing the base-package I'm not going to buy any, except Verbum Basic. It just would feel better if I would be sure that I support only the publishers I want only for the books I want.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS