Can we change this forum....

Page 2 of 3 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 46 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 186
TWBeining | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 4:59 PM

Maybe it is time for this!

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 28 2012 8:29 PM

Not forums Jack, Categories . Then you know where to go for what your looking for and don't have to wade through what is of no interest to you.

Posts 10817
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 5:21 AM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
Not forums Jack, Categories

Categories within forums? If that is what you mean, then it is possible, if forum users will cooperate.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 5:32 AM

Yes, the list I made as an example would be "categories" ( line items ) within the forum "Logos for Mac" .

Basically a live filing system for conversations.

I have worked on large forums with many, many catagories of Christian conversation.

These were usually broken out into specific areas of doctrine, social gospel etc.

Large forums usually have to have several moderators, each with certain sections they oversee.

This would not have to be so with Logos as you are not dealing with that many "posts" per day.

We could certainly do with some housekeeping though. Mac and Windows needs to be seperated again so that issues that are Os related are not confused.  

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 7:52 AM

Michael Hite:
But when you scan the titles of most of the posts here that is not what this forum has become. While some of that still goes on here many threads have become "hostility fests". I understand some people are upset but venting in the forums is usually unproductive. While I appreciate that Bob and others from Logos monitor and contribute here, many things (demanding refunds, bad mouthing the company policies, complaining about changes) cannot be resolved by people in these forums. 

Every major change in Logos has been accompanied by an burst of activity (hostility fests). I remember the change from newsgroups to forums, followed by the move from L3 to L4 and now L4 to L5.  There is always initial negative reaction and then the discussion dies down again.

Posts 2770
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 8:04 AM

Wayne:

Michael Hite:
But when you scan the titles of most of the posts here that is not what this forum has become. While some of that still goes on here many threads have become "hostility fests". I understand some people are upset but venting in the forums is usually unproductive. While I appreciate that Bob and others from Logos monitor and contribute here, many things (demanding refunds, bad mouthing the company policies, complaining about changes) cannot be resolved by people in these forums. 

Every major change in Logos has been accompanied by an burst of activity (hostility fests). I remember the change from newsgroups to forums, followed by the move from L3 to L4 and now L4 to L5.  There is always initial negative reaction and then the discussion dies down again.

Resistance to change, and that resistance always seeks more resistance. Smile

Posts 319
Michael Hite | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 8:09 AM

Wayne:
There is always initial negative reaction and then the discussion dies down again.

I guess I haven't seen it die down that much since the L4 to L5 move. Obviously it has died down since the initial change - but there seems to be a general tone in here that is negative and I would like to see a segment of the forums dedicated to sharing tips and learning.

Here is the issue I am having. I love the software and want to learn to use it better. I want to talk about how and why we should use new tools and features, share ideas and be more effective in my use of the software. Currently, I can see 50 threads in this forum on the first page. Of those 50, there are 42 threads related to price complaints, upgrade gripes, bug reports, feature requests, etc...Finding the 8 threads that pose questions about learning the software or helping people use a feature is difficult. I am not saying there isn't a need to have a place for those 42 threads - I would just like to be able to filter through them more easily to find information about using the software so I can help others and they can help me.

I am not trying to denigrate those 42 threads. They need a place to have a voice - I would just like to have a place dedicated to learning the tool as well.

2015 13" MacBook Pro - 2 Ghz Intel i7 - 16 GB RAM - 500GB SSD - 2018 iMac Pro - 3.2GHz 8-core Xeon - both systems running OS 10.14.3 (Mojave)

Posts 172
CL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 8:29 AM

I couldn't agree more. Constructive criticism in a spirit love is worthwhile, yet I see a lot of flaming. Let's get to helping each other out on how to use the software, recommendations and constructive criticism; not anger driven by the consumerist spirit of the day.

Posts 1
Kathy Freeman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 12:25 PM

Love the prayer. Thanks, Kathy

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 29 2012 12:42 PM

Kathy Freeman:

Love the prayer. Thanks, Kathy

Peace to you, Kathy!                                      and  .......            Always Joy in the Lord!                   *smile*

Just noticed your first post to the Logos Forums!              Thank you for a very positive and encouraging post!

The people of the Logos Forums are basically followers of Jesus from around the world who desire to help and support one another 24 hours a day  over against the usage and performance and fantastic potential of using Logos Bible Software!

Even though I've been using Logos since around 1993, I am constantly learning and growing in my use of this ever-developing software  -- as "studying His Holy Word" I strive to grow in the Grace and Knowledge of my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Kathy, please feel free to contribute to our various discussions or to ask any question.  You are indeed welcome!           *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 4:15 AM

Michael Hite:
In the last couple of years I have seen a big change in these forums.

So have I. The first year I was here I had to endure constant attacks on everything I hold sacred. The last year that hasn't happened. It's much nicer now.Big Smile

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 4:38 AM

fgh:

So have I. The first year I was here I had to endure constant attacks on everything I hold sacred. The last year that hasn't happened. It's much nicer now.Big Smile

I too have noticed this.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 6:12 AM

Well, for all practical purposes, this thread is about John, given its timing (within minutes).

And for the 'short' time I've been on the forum, it repeats over and over. A person gets frustrated and vents. Another person could care less about the frustration; they just don't like the venting. The first person then really 'lets go' since (1) their concern is of no concern and (2) their venting is of far more concern. Then it ratchets up, the whole time view counts rising precipitously since people really like to see a fight.

The solution is to deal with the frustration in the first place. There's nothing lost in letting people get it out on the table; chances are their experience is the same as many others. People DO remember I called Bob 'dishonest'. But he didn't try to kill me.

John's a good guy. And Bob's working on it (actually he's a great guy; just the rollout was quite frustrating).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 10817
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 6:49 AM

fgh:
The first year I was here I had to endure constant attacks on everything I hold sacred. The last year that hasn't happened. It's much nicer now.Big Smile

I am glad of that. Some of those "defenders of the true faith" identified themselves as Baptist, and that was embarrassing to me Big Smile

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 7:57 AM

Jack Caviness:

I am glad of that. Some of those "defenders of the true faith" identified themselves as Baptist, and that was embarrassing to me Big Smile

Jack, just to let you know, the 'defenders of the true faith' have no denominational boundaries.  If you can name a denomination, I can name a 'defender of the true faith' who has told me that I was going to hell because I did not have the one 'true faith.'  IMHO, If we all could focus on Jesus (the one who binds us all together); a lot (but not all) of our arguments will disappear.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 8:09 AM

The forums seem a bit like the reflection of a local church:

• Most everybody attends quietly and faithfully.
  • A few wish to dig deeper, and take up the gauntlet.
  • A few need answers and usually find what they are looking for.
  • A few complain about everything, in every way, in the loudest and most vocal way, screaming louder than most everyone else.
  • And once in a while a stranger runs into the back of the sanctuary and shouts out something irrational.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 8:12 AM

tom:

Jack Caviness:

Jack, just to let you know, the 'defenders of the true faith' have no denominational boundaries.  If you can name a denomination, I can name a 'defender of the true faith' who has told me that I was going to hell because I did not have the one 'true faith.'  IMHO, If we all could focus on Jesus (the one who binds us all together); a lot (but not all) of our arguments will disappear.

That reminds me of a story I heard waaaaay back (2-3 yrs ago Wink). 

A church was founded in a small town.  Since it was the only church in town, it was known simply as "The Church."  Before long there was a disagreement over some minor point of doctrine so a group split off and called itself "The Church of God."  It didn't take too long before they had a minor doctrinal disagreement so a group split off from them and called themselves "The Church of God in Jesus Christ."  Wouldn't you know it that some of them couldn't agree on every point so they split off and called themselves "The True Church of God in Jesus Christ."  Etc., etc., etc.  While not an absolutely true story, it SADLY reflects all too faithfully the situation.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 274
Mike W | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 8:46 AM

Jack Caviness:
Michael: Thank you for that post. One problem is that we have a few professional complainers—some of whom seem to be the same individual with many different accounts—who seek to sow discord

Relay mail on the old BBS systems and Usenet newsreaders allowed us to filter certain individuals out so we would't see their posts.  Sometimes I think that would be a nice feature for these forums.  I would like to see a separate section for Bugs issues, and complaints since lately the S/N ratio on these forums seems to have gotten pretty poor. Of course, that is probably good for my wallet since there are fewer discussions of interesting resources tempting me to buy them Wink

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 9:02 AM

Paul Golder:

The forums seem a bit like the reflection of a local church:

• Most everybody attends quietly and faithfully.
  • A few wish to dig deeper, and take up the gauntlet.
  • A few need answers and usually find what they are looking for.
  • A few complain about everything, in every way, in the loudest and most vocal way, screaming louder than most everyone else.
  • And once in a while a stranger runs into the back of the sanctuary and shouts out something irrational.

Yes

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 10817
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 1:57 PM

tom:

Jack Caviness:

Jack, just to let you know, the 'defenders of the true faith' have no denominational boundaries.

Did you not notice the quotation marks around "defender of the true faith" in my post? The posters to whom I referred styled themselves as such. Unfortunately, we Baptists have many in our midst who believe that only Baptists will make it to heaven. To me, those are an embarrassment and infantile.

Page 2 of 3 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS