Torah Reading Plan

Page 2 of 2 (40 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 39 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 26744
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2011 11:22 AM

George Somsel:
If you are looking for NT readings to coincide with the parasha, I would suggest checking a lectionary to see what is used with them. 

There are also several Messianic lectionaries which provide one or two NT readings to complement the traditional Jewish readings. Most of these are 1 year but I think I have a 3 year versions as well.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 82
Howard Silverman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2011 2:54 PM

i am familiar with at least two or three one year calendars with the traditional torah reading, Haftorah reading and a corresponding passage from the NT for a one year cycle.  i will ask the authors if they would allow their calendar to be used.    after that someone with more tech. knowledge and more Logos knowledge would have to put it together electronically.

howard silverman

Posts 4772
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2011 5:29 PM

Whatever form these resources finally take, I'm very interested. I'm particularly interested in the 3 (3 1/2) year cycles. I have found info here-and-there that the original cycle was probably a 3 1/2 year cycle and I think this reasoning has merit. Nevertheless, I participate in a one year cycle. The advantage of such is obvious--covering the Torah fully each year. But the disadvantage is that we often don't finish the portion even after our 4 hour meeting, and we rarely get to the Haftarah much less the B'riytth Hhadaashaah portion. A three year cycle would allow for a thoroughness not possible with the one-year cycle.

Proceed with my blessing, MJ...and my thanks. Yes

Posts 82
Howard Silverman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2011 8:14 PM

i have two files - one is a three year plan and one is a one yer plan. i was nto able to send these files to this forum - but if you e-mail me i will be happy to send them to you.

howard.silverman@sbcglobal.net  

Posts 34
Darren Huckey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 4 2011 4:58 AM

Has anyone put this into a Logos Reading Schedule format yet? I am very interested, but do not understand how Logos does its reading schedule, or I would create my own.

Posts 26744
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 4 2011 12:47 PM

I know that Logos is working on releasing at least 2 more lectionaries. They do not include these. And no, I do not know the target release dates.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26744
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 4 2011 12:49 PM

Darren Huckey:
Has anyone put this into a Logos Reading Schedule format yet?

At this time, all of the lectionary reading cycles are going through Logos.

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 4 2011 11:05 PM

MJ. Smith:

Darren Huckey:
Has anyone put this into a Logos Reading Schedule format yet?

At this time, all of the lectionary reading cycles are going through Logos.

A parashot lectionary could be very useful. For commercial reasons I would let the user choose whether to include the NT or not.

If such a lectionary was made available I would start using it today. 

Kudos to MJ

Posts 26
Don Barber | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 7 2012 8:00 PM

Well, it's been about a year on this...has there been an offering yet?

Dell Latitude E6500, Intel Core 2 Duo, T9550 @ 2.66GHz, 771 MHz, 4 GB of Ram, Win 7 Home Premie 64bit

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 7 2012 8:32 PM

Don Barber:

Well, it's been about a year on this...has there been an offering yet?

If you'd go to church once in a while, you'd know that they almost never fail to take an offering.  Wink  Big Smile  (Sorry, couldn't resist)

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 4772
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 8 2012 2:22 AM

Yes, I'm still interested.

Oh, and if it wouldn't be too much trouble (LOL), could you please make it available in L3 format. Thanks! Big Smile

Btw, this will be automatically adjusted to the sighting of the 'abhiybh moon, correct? Wink

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 8 2012 7:05 AM

I presume you know about the user created one in the Files forum?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 26
Don Barber | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 11 2012 6:22 PM

Nope.  Anyone have a link?

Dell Latitude E6500, Intel Core 2 Duo, T9550 @ 2.66GHz, 771 MHz, 4 GB of Ram, Win 7 Home Premie 64bit

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 7:33 AM

Don Barber:
Anyone have a link?

Is there a particular reason you couldn't look in the Files forum yourself, or do you just consider my time less valuable than your own? It's on the first page so you could easily have found it in the same time it took you to write that post. 

PB - Weekly Parashah Readings 5772 (2011-12)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 26
Don Barber | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 7:59 AM

On the contrary, I did look and did not find it, perhaps I‘m a newbie and didn’t know I should be looking for “Parashah”.  Non-the-less, I am an employer and am very aware of people’s time and the value thereof.  I don’t know you, so I have no way of knowing if your time is in fact more valuable than mine.  I do know what you do for His kingdom has great value and I for one am grateful that you perhaps gave your knowledge and effort for my benefit and His glory.  However, if you would like me to provide a reimbursement - that too is understandable.  I’m willing to pay the industry standard rate for this service you have provided.  Just tell me how much and where to send it.

Thank you,

Don

Posts 4772
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 14 2012 6:50 PM

lololol

Posts 26744
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 14 2012 7:11 PM

Don Barber:
On the contrary, I did look and did not find it, perhaps I‘m a newbie and didn’t know I should be looking for “Parashah”.

Don, one of the things one finds consistently in the forums is that what is obvious to one group of users draws a complete blank from another set of users. It becomes painfully obvious that different traditions and interests give us different pools of knowledge. Then we ask a question that makes others assume we know something we don't know, or we use a term in a way that isn't expected ... (witness myself and Super Tramp trying to get each other to understand what we each mean by the term "canon"). I, like fgh, would have erroneously assumed you knew the readings were called 'Parashah' if you asked for a Jewish list, 'Lessons' if you asked for an Anglican list and 'Lections' if you asked a Catholic. Or pericope, reading, passage .... I've checked. Even a thesaurus wouldn't help much in this case.Stick out tongue

Posts 38
Rob Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2015 2:49 PM

First of all, I appreciate all the work you are doing (on many fronts) for Logos as a "MVP".

The small amount I've seen is very impressive.  Thanks!

I'd like to see your mentioned spreadsheet.

It turns out what we "call" a "triennial cycle" in the "Palestinian Tradition" was most likely a "twice in several years" "somewhat flexible" cycle.

This is the Torah Cycle Jesus and the early church most likely followed.  The best work I know that is available is a text by Jacob Mann called The Bible As Read and Preached in the Old Synagogue originally intended to be 3 volumes.  Mann published Vol 1.  His student(s) Vol 2.  Vol. 3 was never published.  Ii any event, it is the single best work we have on what was most lilkey the Torah of Jesus and the early Hebrew believers in Israel (that became to be know as Palestinian).

I have a developing spreadsheet and PDF based on Mann's work.  I don't see a way to "attach" such files to this forum.

Rob Wilson

robandlupe@aol.com

Teaching Elder, Church of the Messiah

Posts 26744
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 15 2015 3:15 PM

There is a Files forum specifically for sharing such things. Use the paperclip icon (after link/unlink) to attach a file. Thanks for the reference - I'll check it out.

Posts 3
William Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2016 10:58 AM

Thank you for working on this. I have another resource that might help:
http://torahportions.org/thisweek/

It is my hope that First Fruits of Zion's Torah Club commentaries and other resources might someday be available in Logos.

Page 2 of 2 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS