Let's hear it for Weights and Measures

Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 44 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 1:46 AM

Bob Pritchett:
Most Bibles seems to have modern measurement equivalents either in the text, or in footnotes to the verses with the measurements.

I don't own a study Bible. I depend on Logos for my information. I would think that a growing number of the Logos customers rarely use a print Bible.

Posts 24506
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 2:59 AM

Doesn't the information provided in the Information Tool cover this?

A couple of examples below:

I accept it is dependent on having a dictionary which provides the required information but at least it is readily accessible

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 3:05 AM

George Somsel:
My concern is not with converting one modern measurement to another since there are calculators for that.  I am concerned with an approximate modern equivalent to the biblical measures and weights.  Perhaps this would vary according to the time period in some cases.  I would settle for a "bath = ~ gallons / liters" which would allow me to convert the quantity to that specified in the texts.

Yes

Plus whenever I am teaching and I give the modern equivalent (which normally is found in the commentaries, not in the Bible text), I always say "Aproximately"...I know that it will not be "scientifically correct" but at least my students can relate to the size better.

Charlene

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 3:16 AM

Graham Criddle:

No.  When I click on ephah, I get the explanation that the ephah is the dry equivalent of the bath then, when I click on bath, I get the explanation that the bath is the liquid equivalent of the ephah so we're just going in a circle.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 24506
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 3:24 AM

George Somsel:

Graham Criddle:

No.  When I click on ephah, I get the explanation that the ephah is the dry equivalent of the bath then, when I click on bath, I get the explanation that the bath is the liquid equivalent of the ephah so we're just going in a circle.

Interesting - I get that the Bath is about 5 1/2 US gallons or 21 liters

So it will depend on dictionaries (available and prioritised) so probably isn't the right solution for a general purpose tool

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 5:42 AM

Personally I don't care (for obvious reasons, when you use the best software ever written of course). But whoever did the Libronix version really put their heart into it. I'm still amazed at its features and the thinking they used.  I also like the 'People' in L3 better than L4 but I think L5 probably 'stole' some of L3's magic.

I didn't really understand the thinking that went into L3's measures until I was somewhere in the Ugarit resources and it was discussing the various shekels and the associated issues involved (weight/content). That's when it 'dawned' on me that the whole subject was a daily issue back then. And so 'the finger on the scales'.

I don't know George's reasons, but the whole area seems to reflect his depth of knowledge.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 5576
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 1:59 PM

Bob Pritchett:

Andrew Mckenzie:
The primary requirement would be accessing the data in context.

Somewhere in the archives we have a spec for implementing this as a hard-coded list of pre-converted measures that show up in the Passage Guide or Information Panel based on your Bible reference. This would mean a one-time manual processing of all the weights/measures in the Bible, but if they are stored by verse then we don't have to do it for each translation.

But this wouldn't help if you were looking for conversions in other books besides the Bible. Is that the case?

(I think we didn't do this because A) we didn't get to it, and B) we realized that almost every modern Bible has this data as easily as a right click -- it's embedded in a footnote on the actual weight or measure. Just hover to see it, or look in the Information panel.)

Bob this would be a good start to have this level of information available. Would also want to see it in bible explorer.  I am appreciating this little tool more these days as an alternative to a full blown passage guide.

But correct if we were reading another book besides the bible it would not help and this is where a lookup/calculator type tool would be very much needed.  The flexibility of a calculator also comes into play as another poster pointed out when you realise you need the information and don't have the time to go through your resources, or run a passage guide to find the information.  Pulling up the calculator and getting a quick ball park figure can be a great help in these sort of situaitons.

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 10:36 PM

I have a suggestion about a solid (and fun) way Logos could implement this. It could also lay the foundation for Logos to do something much more with it. Anyone want to hear it?

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 11:05 PM

Now Nathan ... you know we want to hear your idea!

(Mine is just to add the measurements to the Bible Facts database with a prepared lookup. Seems pretty simple.)

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 9555
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 11:17 PM

Nathan Parker:

I have a suggestion about a solid (and fun) way Logos could implement this. It could also lay the foundation for Logos to do something much more with it. Anyone want to hear it?

I'll bite. What's your idea?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 450
Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 6:36 AM

Nathan Parker:

The suspense is killing us! :D

Posts 3292
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 6:45 AM

I usually look at the footnotes like Bob suggested.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 4:26 PM

I need to shoot a video for CCMag soon I'm long overdue on. I may shoot a video on it so I can show some visuals on how Logos can architect it. 

I will drop a hint though...

How many of you would not only love to have your own personal research assistant that you have in Logos today...

but also

have your own personal Biblical scholar you could take with you wherever you go, answering any of your biblical questions from something as simple as weights and measures or Bible searches to answering your deepest Theological questions?

If you're ready to hear more, I'll prepare a small video on it.

Nathan Parker

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 4:27 PM

It's a little something I've been mulling over in my mind I'm ready to share with Logos. A way to truly take Bible study to a whole new level, and I think Logos would be the perfect company to pull it off.

Nathan Parker

Posts 450
Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 6:21 AM

Please don't tell me your going to use Siri..... :D

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 1:32 PM

Alexander:

Not exactly but you're close...

Nathan Parker

Posts 3292
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 4:23 PM

Nathan Parker:

Alexander:

My interest is sparked...

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 643
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 7:05 PM

I use the New Living Translation for this purpose.  It has put most measurements in modern terms.  I don't use it for a study bible but it is nice for devotional use or when I want to check on measurements.

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 24 2013 7:17 PM

David Taylor Jr:

Nathan Parker:

Alexander:

My interest is sparked...

I just remembered I need to respond to this. :-) I'll try to do that when I have a chance.

There's another side way this could also be implemented. Not the way I was originally thinking, but another way it could be implemented is as a visual filter in Bibles (similar to Speaker labels). Have "Weights and Measures" labels next to all the weights and measures in the Bible, and resting a cursor on them would display the modern day equivalent. Under Settings, one could choose English or Metric measurements to be the modern day equivalent.

That's the "simple" way to pull it off. To do something fancier, I'll have to post more later when I have a chance.

Nathan Parker

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 25 2013 6:17 AM

Like almost ~½ of the new datasets in L5 compared to L4, weights and measures from L3 is not in my wish list.

Looking up in a Bible dictionary, an English Bible version and/or making Your own Excel spreadsheet that calculates this, is quite enough IMO.

I hope Logos keeps focusing on costs and doesn't start producing all kinds of things.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS