Getting Rid of CDs?

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 718
Ben | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 30 2012 7:09 PM

So, I'm moving, and cleaning out. I have a lot of Logos data cds all crammed into my AYBD box :)

I can trash these, right? Even my obscure Oxford Bible Commentary? It's all available in totality from the Logos servers?

27 iMac, quadcore 2.8, 1Tb HD, 8Gb RAM; 13 Macbook Air, i5 128Gb SSD, 4Gb RAM.

Posts 1064
David J. Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 7:25 PM

The only ones you might want to keep would be any you might want to transfer to someone else if you found yourself buying a special package which duplicated some existing content (as happened a couple of years ago on a top end Christmas Special).  That was in the days when they did not credit existing purchases towards special heavily discounted major add-on collections as they do with base package upgrades.  I was able to transfer licences for a number of my old L3 CDs after getting that special Christmas collection..... Smile

Posts 723
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 8:05 PM

I've been storing all of mine up at my corporate attorney's office since she keeps an archive of all my corporate documents and corporate documents on CD. That way if I ever become famous and start my own museum, I can feature my Logos CD collection and show all the future young people what we used to have to use to read books with. :-)

Nathan Parker

President/CEO

Mallard Computer, Inc.

Posts 395
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 8:32 PM

Ben:

It's all available in totality from the Logos servers?

Negative. If the contents of your library contains any older titles that were not upgraded to Libronix format, they will not be on the Logos servers. I have half a dozen or so still in the old .LSF format. The Amplified New Testament is one I can recall. There was never any update to this resource on the Logos servers. If you only have newer titles, then this might not be an issue for you.

If you decide to throw out CD's, Best thing to do is back up your resources folder first just to be safe Smile

Posts 2412
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 8:48 PM

I personal would keep them unless you hear from Logos there is absolutely no way you could need them. The OBC is listed in my files as a .logos4 file too, but is that simply because the program has formed it or is it an updated file? I have numerous lbxlls files and I can only think they are there because there is no 4 file for them. I have the Jerome Biblical Commentary, and it was most definitely not on any server. A logos employee was kind enough to make the lbxlls file available to me since the files i had were logos 2.0 (i felt so happy to locate an old copy of the Catholic library and was able to purchase it, took me years to track one down, was the last copy in a little catholic book shop in the midwest US) and wouldn't function on my old mac.

-Dan 

Posts 2454
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 30 2012 8:50 PM

John:

Ben:

It's all available in totality from the Logos servers?

Negative. If the contents of your library contains any older titles that were not upgraded to Libronix format, they will not be on the Logos servers. I have half a dozen or so still in the old .LSF format. The Amplified New Testament is one I can recall. There was never any update to this resource on the Logos servers. If you only have newer titles, then this might not be an issue for you.

If you decide to throw out CD's, Best thing to do is back up your resources folder first just to be safe Smile

Except for maybe some very obscure cases you are safe. I threw away over a hundred cds/dvds when I upgraded to 4.

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org | hantla.com/blog

Posts 3945
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 12:17 PM

I think that I still may have some floppy disks from Libronix. I think I can safely through them out now but I am now wondering about other CDs from Logos.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1739
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 12:22 PM

Bruce - seems to me that the older L2 floppies are more likely to be needed, than the more modern CD's.

Logos 2 Level 3, Logos 3 (series X) Scholars, Logos 4 Scholars Silver, Logos 5 Platinum, Biblical Languages, Reformed Platinum, Pentecostal Silver.
iPad 3, iPhone 5, Octo-core pc with 32gb of ddr3. Bibliolater. Abondservant.com

Posts 3945
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 12:23 PM

Ken Baker:

Bruce - seems to me that the older L2 floppies are more likely to be needed, than the more modern CD's.

Ken, are you recommending that I consider keeping these? I'm not even sure how I would access the information if I wanted to do so.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1739
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 12:25 PM

That is IF you can find a computer that still has a floppy drive... I've been without one in my last 3 or 4 computers...

Logos 2 Level 3, Logos 3 (series X) Scholars, Logos 4 Scholars Silver, Logos 5 Platinum, Biblical Languages, Reformed Platinum, Pentecostal Silver.

Posts 1739
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 12:26 PM

*chuckle* you beat me to it...

IF its not something thats on the server, then yeah... You spent money on them, and there is most likely a way to get them into L5...

Perhaps posting the title might help give you a better perspective?

3.5" and 5.4" floppy drives can be bought with USB interface for a reasonable price, possibly cheaper than re-purchasing the books on them :)

Posts 7647
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 1:28 PM

Ben:

So, I'm moving, and cleaning out. I have a lot of Logos data cds all crammed into my AYBD box :)

I can trash these, right? Even my obscure Oxford Bible Commentary? It's all available in totality from the Logos servers?

Personally, I never throw away a CD that contains something I might still want to access until I've made a archive copy and stored it on a backed-up hard-drive.

Posts 1429
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 7:41 PM

Ben:
Even my obscure Oxford Bible Commentary?

That Oxford  one should be protected. There have been numerous comments about it on these Forums through the years.

I hope it is on a Logos server -- but as of now, I'm pretty sure that it cannot be purchased. Just sayin' .... be safe rather than sorry? 

Regards, SteveF - HP EliteBook 8740w i7-Q720 1.6GHZ 12G RAM Win 7 Pro (x64) 500G@7200 nVidia QUADRO FX3800M - Logos 2 Level 3, L3 Scholar's, L4 Scholar's Gold, L5 Gold

Posts 157
ELA | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 8:29 AM

Interesting! So this means that cd's can be given to someone else paying the $20 for transfer. I have several cd's (like Baker's NT commentary) that was also included in my Portfolio L4 (before it was taken away)?

Also other collections that I have bought "twice" as they were either included in L4 base package or the Christmas Coll. - because everybody paid the same whether they had bought some of the books previously?

I also bought a couple of the black IVP dictionaries from Logos separately - but later I bought the whole reference CD. These single volumes can be transferred to someone else?

Everything that has been bought "twice" can be given away?

Posts 1614
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 8:48 AM

If you have actually paid for a resource twice such as your example of the IVP dictionaries separately then later bought the entire set (with no discount for those you already owned) then it is my understanding that they can be transferred to another person.

This is not the same as upgrading to Logos 5 from Logos 4 and receiving a discount on resources you already own.

Posts 7647
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 8:53 AM

Ronald is right. If you've received a discount on the new purchase because of the old purchase, then you cannot transfer the licence for the old purchase. It's also worth adding that you can only transfer whole products. So if you bought a collection of books 1-10, and then bought a collection of books 5-15, you couldn't sell books 5-10, because that's not a product. But if you bought books 1-10, then bought books 1-20, you could sell books 1-10 (so long as you didn't receive a discount on 1-20 for it).

Posts 157
ELA | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 9:25 AM

Several commentaries, single volumes as well as collections that were previously sold as pre-pubs were included in the Christmas collections - and I don't recall that I was given a discount on the Christmas collection because I already had bought many of the books in  my library.

I had commentaries bought from other retailers on CD before buying the L4 portfolio. Because they were bought from other retailers I couldn't get a discount on the Portfolio.

It just never occurred to me before that it would be possible to pass these books on to someone else. (I don't intend to sell them)

This might be good news to some other users as well!

Posts 1064
David J. Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 11:10 AM

As far as I recall there were no discounts for the Christmas collections of a couple of years ago.  They were fixed price for everyone (heavily discounted). I was able to transfer several of the collections they contained (that I had obtained previously on CDs as pre-pubs) to others in my church that same Christmas.
The only ones I was not allowed to transfer were ones which had in the interim been included in the L4 package to which I had upgraded: the reason being that I was given a significant discount on that L4 package upgrade, based on what I already owned of its content (as we now see happening again with L5 packages). Smile 

Being able to pass these duplicate resources on to others helped grow their interest in Logos and in the long term built additional sales for Logos, which benefits all of us in the long run (especially in terms of reduced Community Pricing and less time being spent in pre-pub awaiting enough interest to justify publication....)

Posts 1739
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 12:57 PM

I know this is not the place for sales... but message me with what you have extra.... I'd be interested in hearing whats out there for sure.

jsschrstrcks@gmail.com

Posts 2412
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 5:00 PM

I am not sure he is selling anything just wanting to rid his dwelling of clutter. Ben's point was the licences  are known and files are readily available on the internet.

-Dan

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS