Prioritization bug when doing a custom passage guide?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 343
Jason Saling - www.NapavineBaptist.com | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 30 2012 11:00 PM

I have a customized passage guide, in which I have a collection of commentaries. I also have many of these commentaries prioritized. However when I run a reference in this passage guide it is not scanning the commentaries in order at all. The one on TOP is a commentary I don't even have prioritized (so this one should be closer to the bottom by default). All of them are jumbled up. It just bypasses my prioritization.

Jason Saling

Posts 343

If I delete the "section" 6355.section.tiff

and then re-add the section, then it does show the proper prioritization. However, after I close that, and reopen my layout. It is all buggy and random again. I'm thinking this is a bug, as I'm sure I shouldn't have to delete and re-add sections each time I open my layout. Something for the coders to look into.

Jason Saling

Posts 25862
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 12:28 AM

I think you misunderstand the purpose of the Collections section because resources are meant to be Ranked by relevance of the result. It's also not the best use of your commentaries, which you should put in the Commentaries section, where the order of results will reflect your Prioritization.

See http://wiki.logos.com/Customizing_the_Passage_and_Exegetical_Guides

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 343

Changing that does seem to fix the issue. I didn't notice before that there was a "Commentaries" section to choose from, besides "All Commentaries," but now I see you can choose a Commentary Collection you created under that as well.

So now, all my other customized collections aren't going to work in accordance with my prioritization when doing a passage guide? Isn't that the purpose of prioritization?

Jason Saling

Posts 25862
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 12:47 PM

Jason Saling - www.NapavineBaptist.com:
So now, all my other customized collections aren't going to work in accordance with my prioritization when doing a passage guide?

You can create multiple Commentaries sections where your Prioiritization will be effective. Moreover,  after generating a PG you can change the Settings and see results from a different collection (hover over the right side of the section heading to see Settings).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 12:54 PM

So now, all my other customized collections aren't going to work in accordance with my prioritization when doing a passage guide? Isn't that the purpose of prioritization?

You're misunderstanding the difference between the Collections section and the Commentaries section. The Collections section performs a ranked search for that passage anywhere in the resources you've selected, and prioritisation is not designed for searches. The Commentaries section 'looks up' that passage in the commentaries, and that's what prioritisation is designed for.

Posts 343

I understand that if I am trying to do a "Search." However, if I'm doing a "Passage Guide," then I would want my different customized collections (non-commentary ones) to be listed as I have prioritized. From what I recall, that's how it worked before. Maybe it didn't.

Jason Saling

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 1:21 PM

I understand that if I am trying to do a "Search." However, if I'm doing a "Passage Guide," then I would want my different customized collections (non-commentary ones) to be listed as I have prioritized. From what I recall, that's how it worked before. Maybe it didn't.

Prioritisation is only relevant for look-ups, it's not relevant for searching. Searching has never taken any notice of prioritising, and there's a good reason why. Most of us do our prioritising in sections, so Bibles first, the commentaries, then Greek Lexicons, then Hebrew Lexicons, then Pseudepigrapha, and so on. But that doesn't mean at all that we're ranking Greek Lexicons above Pseudepigrapha. We've just placed them in groups for convenience. We'd all quite quite annoyed if when searching, suddenly Logos placed a really relevant extract from a Daily Devotional on the 10th page of search results, just because devotionals happen to be the last group in my prioritisation list.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS