Logos 5 Disappeared from my computer

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 192
Michael March | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 1 2012 10:08 AM

Everything was fine yesterday.  Installed logos 5 about three days ago and have been enjoying it immensely. Today I turn on the computer (windows 7, ssd, 16gig ram) and I get the indexing warning in the notification tray and on the screen (that indexing may slow down my computer), and then suddenly both disappear.  Then when I try to find logos in my program files, it is nowhere to be found.  I have rebooted three times.  It happens the same way each time.

Naturally, this happens on a Saturday, so my call to support won't work either.

If anyone has a suggestion to try, I will gladly try it...

Windows PC - Android Phone - Nexus 7 Tablet

Posts 1728
LogosEmployee
Hunter Clagett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 10:42 AM

Try navigating to your order history page and click on the order number for your Logos 5 library, then run the installer. 

This may restore the shortcut to your application, and if it is truly missing it will begin the reinstallation process. Your data is backed up to our cloud, so there's no need to worry about losing your documents or books.

- Hunter Clagett

Logos 4 Bug Report - Mac | PC

Proclaim - Mac/PC

Posts 5066
Forum MVP
Richard DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 10:49 AM

Michael March:
 Then when I try to find logos in my program files, it is nowhere to be found.

Not sure which OS you use, but in Windows, the Logos program is not found in "Program Files" (if you're talking about searching for it with Windows Explorer). It's found at C:\Users\[windows user name]\AppData\Local\Logos4 (note that AppData is a hidden file).

If you are running Window 7, type logos in the search bar at the bottom of the start menu (this should work with Vista too). If logos is installed, it should come up as an option (you'll recognize the program by its new icon). Right-clicking gives you some options, including pinning the program to the start menu. Once it is running, pin it to the Windows 7 task bar to keep it.

If it's not there, your anti-virus may have flagged it (false positive), and moved or deleted it. Depending on your anti-virus, you may be able to recover this directly.

Help links: WIKI;   Videos; Logos 5 FAQ (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 192
Michael March | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 10:52 AM

I already tried that, and the Logos 5 installer assumes Logos 4 and asks me to run Logos 4 and it will automatically install Logos 5...

But thanks for trying!

Posts 3526
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 10:58 AM

It was raptured!! Angel

Um...I guess that means you were left behind... Surprise

Wink

Posts 13038
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 11:15 AM

Michael March:
Today I turn on the computer (windows 7, ssd, 16gig ram) and I get the indexing warning in the notification tray and on the screen (that indexing may slow down my computer), and then suddenly both disappear.

Would like to look at Logos diagnostic log files; wiki has =>  http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging

Note: a number of SQLite database files are used by the Logos application and indexer.  If one of those files is malformed, the application and indexer will crash (disappear suddenly).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 192
Michael March | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 11:26 AM

Richard DeRuiter:

Michael March:
 Then when I try to find logos in my program files, it is nowhere to be found.

Not sure which OS you use, but in Windows, the Logos program is not found in "Program Files" (if you're talking about searching for it with Windows Explorer). It's found at C:\Users\[windows user name]\AppData\Local\Logos4 (note that AppData is a hidden file).

If you are running Window 7, type logos in the search bar at the bottom of the start menu (this should work with Vista too). If logos is installed, it should come up as an option (you'll recognize the program by its new icon). Right-clicking gives you some options, including pinning the program to the start menu. Once it is running, pin it to the Windows 7 task bar to keep it.

If it's not there, your anti-virus may have flagged it (false positive), and moved or deleted it. Depending on your anti-virus, you may be able to recover this directly.

Ahhh!  I typed logos in the search bar and it reappeared.  It's now back where it belongs.  THANK YOU.  We just finished decorating the sanctuary, and now all is well...

Posts 192
Michael March | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 11:28 AM

David Paul:

It was raptured!! Angel

Um...I guess that means you were left behind... Surprise

Wink

OH NOOOO!   Nope, it's still here, YOU AND I were not left behind David Paul!  So, now is the acceptable time...

Posts 192
Michael March | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 11:34 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Would like to look at Logos diagnostic log files; wiki has =>  http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging

Keep Smiling Smile

Thank you for your kind offer to help Keep.  I was, in fact, not smiling at the time, but I am, in fact, smiling very widely right now.SmileSmile

4 Jesus of course.  and 4 me too.

thank you one and all for your compassion and incredibly quick response to my need.  this is a great community.  

I only wish I could help others here the way I am helped.  Alas, I am always a combination of too slow and too ignorant of solutions in logos.  So I will instead endeavor to pass it on to those here...

Posts 5066
Forum MVP
Richard DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 11:53 AM

Michael March:
Ahhh!  I typed logos in the search bar and it reappeared.  It's now back where it belongs.  THANK YOU.  We just finished decorating the sanctuary, and now all is well...

Glad it worked. Did you manage to get a Logos5 icon on your desktop too, or have you pinned Logos to your Win7 taskbar?

Posts 192
Michael March | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 12:00 PM

I put it where I actually had it before it disappeared, on the taskbar.  I also left a shortcut on the desktop.  But if it should leave again, I WILL remember that "type logos in the search" field trick.  Thank you again.  I learned another new thing today...now if I could only retain it!Wink

Posts 5066
Forum MVP
Richard DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 12:09 PM

Michael March:

I put it where I actually had it before it disappeared, on the taskbar.  I also left a shortcut on the desktop.  But if it should leave again, I WILL remember that "type logos in the search" field trick.  Thank you again.  I learned another new thing today...now if I could only retain it!Wink

It may have disappeared from the taskbar when you upgraded from L4 to L5, since the program name changed (from logos4.exe to logos.exe).

The search bar trick works great for any program in Windows. For example, type "notepad" to bring up the Windows Notepad program.

Posts 192
Michael March | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 12:14 PM

Yes thanks again Richard.  You made my day a whole lot better.

Posts 5066
Forum MVP
Richard DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 1 2012 12:17 PM

Michael March:

Yes thanks again Richard.  You made my day a whole lot better.

Glad you're so easily amused. Wink

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS