Are Libronix resources compatible with Logos 5 (and other questions)?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 44
Michael | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 2 2012 8:06 PM

Hi All,

First post for a long time lurker. The truth is I haven't needed to post before now because of all the helpful people on this forum who answer my questions before I even ask Smile In this case I haven't been able to find the exact answers to my questions so here goes:

I have found that my local Christian bookstore is selling a well-priced version of the Word Biblical Commentary series (which I have been considering buying for a while now, student income being the limiting factor).

Unfortunately they can't tell me whether the product will be compatible with Logos 5 (and beyond). I have done some digging and it appears to have been produced back in the Logos 3/Libronix days when not everything was available for download (I only started using Logos this year with Logos 4 Original Languages, so have no experience of the dark ages Wink). According to the wiki (http://wiki.logos.com/Adding_new_resources_to_Logos_4) Libronix resources can be registered with Logos and can then be downloaded and used in Logos 4 in the usual way. Great!

My questions are:

1. Does this work for Logos 5 (and beyond) as well? I have no pressing need to switch to 5 yet (I have barely scratched the surface of 4!), but want to be sure that as/when I do "upgrade" I can still use all of my resources.
  2. If I register this resource with Logos will it then be usable in the same way as everything else in my OL package (e.g. accessible on my iPad), or will there be restrictions?
  3. What's the catch? The CD version is significantly cheaper than purchasing directly through Logos. While it would gladden my student's heart to get such a good deal, I don't want to do anything unethical.

Many thanks for your assistance,

Michael

Posts 28728
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 8:32 PM

Welcome to the forums Michael! Smile

Michael:
Does this work for Logos 5 (and beyond) as well?

If it says "Logos" or "Libronix," yes, it will work. 

Michael:
If I register this resource with Logos will it then be usable in the same way as everything else in my OL package (e.g. accessible on my iPad), or will there be restrictions?

No restrictions.

Michael:
What's the catch? The CD version is significantly cheaper than purchasing directly through Logos. While it would gladden my student's heart to get such a good deal, I don't want to do anything unethical.

I don't know anything about the offer being made to you. I purchased this set via a CD-Rom collection. Logos has changed the way they sell resources. In some of the older agreements, the publisher's would sell the resources, but now Logos does it directly via digital download. As long as this disc is legit, you are purchasing a license which Logos will honor. There is still some old stock floating around. It's good until its gone. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 9:24 PM

Michael:
What's the catch? The CD version is significantly cheaper than purchasing directly through Logos. While it would gladden my student's heart to get such a good deal, I don't want to do anything unethical.

Welcome Big Smile

Suggest contacting Logos Academic Sales  => http://www.logos.com/contact to inquire about student discount.

Seem to remember Nelson offered a Pastor's eBible edition, which included Word Biblical Commentary.  Logos offers => http://www.logos.com/product/9653/nelson-bible-reference-bundle that has had a sale price from time to time.

By the way, Logos forum guidelines would appreciate link to non-Logos web site being removed.  Option is editing post by clicking More.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 10:31 PM

Michael...I bought the same thing from the same place not long ago...and posted one overseas for another forum user...but why not wait for next 20% off sale, they come around bout every 3 months!  Once you buy it, you can throw it in the bin, because all you need is the activation code...e-mail it to Logos Customer Service and it downloads automtically...I actually just ordered Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture from a source in US...good price, and will do the exact same thing...I dont have L5 yet, but Logos' policy is once you own a title, you always keep it...so you will never lose it, no matter if L15 comes out.  Don't suppose you're anywhere near Sunshine Coast?

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 10:37 PM

KS4J - I'm not disagreeing with you, but I wonder what the logic is to not linking to another site, when it is actually a Logos product still being sold, I mean, they would benefit somewhere along the line...it's not like linking to another companies product, is it?  Always been curious about that one.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 10:59 PM

Is Mebin:

KS4J - I'm not disagreeing with you, but I wonder what the logic is to not linking to another site, when it is actually a Logos product still being sold, I mean, they would benefit somewhere along the line...it's not like linking to another companies product, is it?  Always been curious about that one.

The old Libronix CD's provided miniscule revenue to Logos => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/60250/429342.aspx#429342

The Logos Forum Guidelines  include:

4. Please do not use our forums to

• sell or give away anything or link to anything you’re selling or giving away—including Logos products
  • promote or link to competitors
  • point people to other places that sell Logos-compatible products
  • advertise yourself, your business, your ministry, your website, etc. (a tasteful link in your forum signature is acceptable)
  • post Logos Coupon Codes. If you are aware of a special promotion Logos is running online, you are welcome to link directly to the promotion. 

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 44
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 11:11 PM

Wow, thanks everyone for the quick replies.

Is Mebin: I'm in Adelaide. Yes, I was thinking of seeing whether there were any specials around Christmas time. I'll only need it next semester so can afford to wait.

Keep Smiling: thanks for the heads-up, link removed.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 11:34 PM

Michael:

Thanks for removing link.

If use Libronix 3.0g to install resources, wiki has => http://wiki.logos.com/Installing_Libronix_Books

Note: an AutoUpdate.lbxupd script tends to be inside a Setup folder on the Nelson eBible CD's.

Prudent to register using the same Logos.com account (email address) as the one used in Logos 4/5.  After synchronizing Libronix license(s), Logos 5 should automatically download resource(s), possibly in a few minutes.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 3 2012 5:03 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Michael:

Thanks for removing link.

If use Libronix 3.0g to install resources, wiki has => http://wiki.logos.com/Installing_Libronix_Books

Note: an AutoUpdate.lbxupd script tends to be inside a Setup folder on the Nelson eBible CD's.

Prudent to register using the same Logos.com account (email address) as the one used in Logos 4/5.  After synchronizing Libronix license(s), Logos 5 should automatically download resource(s), possibly in a few minutes.

Keep Smiling Smile

Another way to activate it if you don't want to have to install Libronix is call Logos Customer Service and they'll activate it. After I phased out Libronix and my college gave me a few textbooks on Libronix CD's, I just called Logos Customer Service, gave them the activation codes, and restarted L4. Instant books.

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 2:21 AM

KS4J - I was only questioning the logic, not that it was in fact a forum guideline!  Why did they release products for sale elsewhere if they were only going to get miniscule profit?  Surely, the ability to grab a bargain now should be encouraged, at least the products are still being bought.

Posts 11161
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 2:38 AM

Is Mebin:

I wonder what the logic is to not linking to another site, when it is actually a Logos product still being sold, I mean, they would benefit somewhere along the line...it's not like linking to another companies product, is it?  Always been curious about that one.

I think I remember Bob or Dan once posted that the point is the way search engines work. If people post links to a certain site in a high frequented and highly trusted forum like this, this other site (say a christian bookstore or a christian software reseller) will rise in google ranks. Thus people searching for a product that Logos sells will more likely be lead elsewhere where they may buy the product in a way that gets Logos less (or no) profit - obviously Logos don't want to pay their servers etc for this result.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 44
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 3:54 PM

Thank you all again for your input.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 9:11 PM

Is Mebin:
Why did they release products for sale elsewhere if they were only going to get miniscule profit?  Surely, the ability to grab a bargain now should be encouraged, at least the products are still being bought.

Apologies: as a user, personally not know motivation for business plans and partnerships, which can include miniscule revenue at times.

Thomas Nelson produced a number of eBible Libronix CD's whose resources are usable in Libronix 3.0g, Logos 4, and Logos 5.

In 2009, Logos changed to cloud based resource delivery for Logos 4 and Logos 5.  After syncing eBible license update, Logos 4 and Logos 5 can automatically download resources.

Thankful for Logos 5 Portfolio upgrade plus discounted Verbum Capstone upgrade.  Thankful for some eBible CD purchases at bargain prices.  Thankful for 282 free eBooks from Vyrso.com since Thanksgiving 2011.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 12:02 AM

KS4J - I too am very thankful for Logos Wink... and even though the WBC were the thrust of this discussion, I'm glad to have recently purchased ACCS as Logos no longer sells the product... people have recently discussed whether Logos was a ministry or a business...well, without adding or detracting from that musing, I would say, the Word must get out!  So, whether from a business or a ministry perspective, adding to our Logos libraries as judiciously and financially responible as one's budget permits, has to be a good thing...either way, we are supporting Logos, arn't we?  Well, God bless you buddy!

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS