What if ... Layouts could be taken to a new level?

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 855
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 30 2009 7:02 PM

I've been spending alot of time with L4 for the past few weeks and giving my work flow alot of thought in an attempt to create a workspace that helps me to be more efficient and productive. As I was watching one of the LOGOS tutorial videos, I got this idea that began to germinate - and I started getting excited. It's just the beginning of one user's concept, but I'd like to share it with the staff at Logos and the forum users. I think it has some merit - for "down the road".

What if we could string together a SERIES of LAYOUTS side by side as we wish. These could follow the order in which we want to work. We can create, edit and maintain a "cyber - cylinder" of Layouts. It would be like having a 3 foot wide cyber computer screen - a sort of hermeneutical carousel Stick out tongue

The code for this might be similar to the HOME PAGE we have now. There are numerous pages which all contain unique information - and each of these is part of  the HOME page. We can simply scroll through these pages to view the many different articles. NOW:  Why not be able to scroll through our own pre-defined Layouts in much the same way? As each page comes into view, the others go into some kind of dormant state. If we could create BUTTONS on the menu bar which represent each page / layout, we could quickly navigate to wherever we want to be working next. [Hoovering over the button could give us a balloon description of the page.] The default Layout scheme could go from "simple" to "complex". And we are always one click away from our starting page (our text).

All we would need is a way to anchor a TILE in some way that would enable us to be able to keep our text before us as we flow from page to page (layout to layout). Maybe a floating window with an option to "keep on top" or we could just build this need into our layouts - cloning the  Bibles tile in each.

Here is an example: Just to help you visualize this, we could create a different LAYOUT for each page as follows -

• Page 1: Bible Search, Bibles, Visualizations, Passage Analysis                                                
  • Page 2: Bible Outlines, Text Comparisons, Word Tree, Harmonies, Cross references 
  • Page 3: Media, Dictionaries, Explorer, Cited By
  • Page 4: Passage Guide, Original Language Bibles, Lexicons,  Information, Commentaries       
  • Page 5: Exegetical Guide, Word Study, Theologies, Apologetics, Pastoral, Evangelism

With this system, all of the features [Guides and Tools] on the hidden menus are "enfleshed" so to speak in the series of layouts. They are always just one click away.

The LINK SETS might ONLY work on the page that is in use (to prevent major slowdowns). They could still control links on pages as they are called up - so the user has full control over the degree of continuity .

-------------------------  I realize that right now the team at Logos has their hands very full. I am thrilled with this software AS_IS. This is offered as "food for thought". Maybe this idea can be put to use now creating this series of Layouts and just changing from one to another as we prepare. (The cyber -cylinder would be faster when switching between layouts, but for now it is just a dream.) 

I almost hesitate to hit the ""POST" button ... but here it goes

Posts 2903
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 7:19 PM

Chain three 20" monitors and you wouldn't even need to scroll...

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 710
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 7:29 PM

Neat idea!

Posts 10969
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2009 6:07 AM

I personally think that's an excellent idea.

As a workaround now, I run L3, L4 and two other commercial packages, each having the resources

that I need for whatever project I am working on. Surprisingly, there's not that much impact on

memory or cpu for that matter.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 28
Karen Campbell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2009 2:47 PM

Yes Very cool!

Posts 2759
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2009 3:25 PM

Great idea Don! Mind if I quote you in an upcoming article I'm doing?

Posts 18
Ryan Hall | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2009 4:22 PM

This sounds pretty cool, but I had a different thing in mind when I read the title of this post. One thing we need in a future update is the ability to customize the initial layout. I know we can save layouts and all, but I want to be able to specify where everything goes when I hit the GO button. I always find myself rearranging things and closing all of the extra "top bibles" it brings up before I do anything else. It would be nice if there was a way that we could just change that once and for all. So every time you do a passage search it brings up your preferred layout. Those are just my thoughts.

Posts 43
Steve Burrow | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2009 4:47 PM

Nice idea!

Now I know this is not quite want you have suggested, but do remember you can create shortcuts to layouts on the shortcut bar.  Just drag a named shortcut to the bar.  With 4 pre-defined layouts made into shortcuts, you have something similar, but with obvious shortcomings (the biggest is probably that your desired passage will need to be updated.)

Until they can implement what you suggest, that may suffice.

Posts 3690
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2009 10:34 PM

Hi Ron,

Your post intrigued me... I think L4 / Vista seem to be at least half way to what you describe (albeit with a major shortcoming, that I'll get to last):

Ron Corbett:
Why not be able to scroll through our own pre-defined Layouts in much the same way? As each page comes into view, the others go into some kind of dormant state.

We can already drag a tab from a floating window into any other floating window to set up the "pre-defined layouts" you describe. AFAIK, however, we can't subdivide them into smaller panels. It's at least 1/2 way there, now.

But we already have "buttons" to get to them. Vista/XP already provides a "button" on your taskbar for every open window. And Vista (XP, no. W7?) will rotate through open windows with the windows+tab keys.

Ron Corbett:
With this system, all of the features [Guides and Tools] on the hidden menus are "enfleshed" so to speak in the series of layouts. They are always just one click away.

The major shortcoming is that Guides/Tools/Menus are ONLY on the "parent" window. I think I'm with you: I'd like to have every "child" be a complete L4, with all the features... Let 'er rip!

Yes +1

Bill

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 3690
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2009 10:35 PM

Ryan Hall:
I want to be able to specify where everything goes when I hit the GO button.

Or the Open button.

Or the "Send Links Here" button.

Or...

Yes

+1

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 855
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 5:34 AM

Kevin,

Sure. If anything I said can be helpful to you, please feel free .

Ron

Posts 855
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 5:45 AM

Bill: The major shortcoming is that Guides/Tools/Menus are ONLY on the "parent" window.                         ------------------------------------------

As far as using Windows XP or Vista: that does sound like a good work around. I wonder how many instances of L4 we could open up at once.

Look, the program is great now. As the LOGOS team moves forward, I believe all of these things we are discussing here and elsewhere are going to be improved. I am so grateful to the Lord for this tool. I pray He guides the developments on the road ahead.

Posts 10969
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 6:21 AM
Ron ... I work like you do, so I'm still 'dinking around' with L4 to see if can fit my 'world'. I notice you can drag tabs from window to window. Ah. That allows me to run multiple windows with groups of resources I use (including the various tools). Granted (a) it's not as good as your idea and (b) it's a pain to set up since layout only remembers the parent right now. But desperation breeds stubbornness.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 8610
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 7:54 AM

Ron Corbett:
I wonder how many instances of L4 we could open up at once.
ONE.

It would be cool if the menus were also in the floating windows (or could be added at will).

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 3690
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 8:28 AM

Ron Corbett:
I am so grateful to the Lord for this tool. I pray He guides the developments on the road ahead.

Yes

Big Smile

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 3690
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 8:30 AM

Thomas Black:

It would be cool if the menus were also in the floating windows (or could be added at will).

Already asked for this in another thread, but I'll sign up here, too, behind the founding member of the 1k club. Wink   (There just wasn't the same excitement when I passed 100. Nobody remembers where they were... not even me. <huge grin>)

Yes

+1

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 6:13 AM

Ron Corbett:

What if we could string together a SERIES of LAYOUTS side by side as we wish. These could follow the order in which we want to work. We can create, edit and maintain a "cyber - cylinder" of Layouts. It would be like having a 3 foot wide cyber computer screen - a sort of hermeneutical carousel Stick out tongue

The code for this might be similar to the HOME PAGE we have now. There are numerous pages which all contain unique information - and each of these is part of  the HOME page. We can simply scroll through these pages to view the many different articles. NOW:  Why not be able to scroll through our own pre-defined Layouts in much the same way? As each page comes into view, the others go into some kind of dormant state. If we could create BUTTONS on the menu bar which represent each page / layout, we could quickly navigate to wherever we want to be working next. [Hoovering over the button could give us a balloon description of the page.] The default Layout scheme could go from "simple" to "complex". And we are always one click away from our starting page (our text).

Maybe I'm missing something, but can't you do this already by dragging a named layout (from the left pane of the Layouts menu) onto the Shortcut Bar? You can set up five layouts for the five "Pages" you've described, name them Page 1, Page 2, etc.; or something better, related to the purpose for which you'll use them; line them up in sequential order on the Shortcut Bar, and then simply click their buttons one after another to jump from one layout to the next.

Posts 855
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 6:59 AM

Rosie,

You idea is good ... but my suggestion (it is hoped) would cut down on work delays. I did an experiment the other day: I checked to see how long it took to switch from one LAYOUT to another. Others may get different results, but my test was in the 18-20 second range. When you scroll from one page to another [say, on the HOME Page] it doesn't take that long. I am suggesting this as an option only if it HELPS streamline the work flow, shorten delays and enhance organization of our preparation. 

I was originally looking at HOME PAGE as a kind of template and suggesting that their idea might have another application.

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 8:34 AM

Ron Corbett:

Rosie,

You idea is good ... but my suggestion (it is hoped) would cut down on work delays. I did an experiment the other day: I checked to see how long it took to switch from one LAYOUT to another. Others may get different results, but my test was in the 18-20 second range. When you scroll from one page to another [say, on the HOME Page] it doesn't take that long. I am suggesting this as an option only if it HELPS streamline the work flow, shorten delays and enhance organization of our preparation. 

I was originally looking at HOME PAGE as a kind of template and suggesting that their idea might have another application.

The delays in loading are reduced by caching. In other words, once you've opened something it is much quicker to open it a second time. I almost never use the Home Page. But when I do open it to check if there's anything new of interest, if it has been some time since the last time I opened it, it can take 20 seconds or more to load, because it has to open each of the resources that the home page refers to. However once it is loaded, it is pretty quick to switch from page to page, as you pointed out. The same goes for layouts. The first time you open one, Logos has to load each of the books in it. But then once you've opened them all in a given Logos session, switching between them (e.g., via my idea of the Shortcut bar icons) would be very quick. So your suggested feature might still be a good idea, because it could do automatically at startup what it now would take you n steps (open each of your n favorite layouts once each after startup) to do. But the time delay wouldn't be solved. It would then make starting up Logos take n times as long. The way things are now, you could manually open only the layouts that you need to use in any given session rather than having Logos open all of your favorite ones automatically at startup, which would be slower. What would help more would be if the Logos team would work on improving the speed of loading resources. Then a feature such as what you suggest, or automatically opening more than one previously saved layout at startup, would be more helpful.

Posts 25
Wonderer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 29 2009 1:52 PM

Your idea sounds great!  Constantly switching back & forth between main 2 layouts for study, I find that thorough use of resource associations & memorization of keyboard shortcuts (to enact functions & temporary bookmarks) helps streamline work to a point (though not nearly as well as your idea!).

I think your idea would also be a major help in shared usage in group discussion & study.  (For example:  If one person/spouse finds more introductory/outline reminders & media resources to be helpful... and the other person/spouse finds them to be clutter... yet, they are studying together).

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS