Read the Fathers

Page 2 of 3 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 46 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 33484
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 7:52 PM

I have emailed Andrew at Logos to see if Logos might give us this in Reading List format. When I hear back I'll see if I need to come up with Plan B.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 8:38 PM

Peace to all my Sisters and Brothers!            *smile*            Getting hard to keep my eyes open, and I need to be bright and alert tomorrow even as my Pastor permits me the homily at our Advent Vespers, so gonna have to leave soon for slumberland!

However, I want to express my gratitude to Jon and Ken for the tremendous work they have done for Read the Fathers.

I still have some problems with the file, but will tackle it afresh in the a.m.                I started as a "lectionary" when I compiled the .docx file, but it didn't show up on my home page although I prioritised it very, very high ...   almost to the top.

So I changed it to a "calendar devotional" and again prioritised it very, very high, above my other calendar devotionals, but it also didn't show up on my home page.

It does work, though.  I opened the book and read the first day (Clement of Rome) and appreciated the work you have done.

Also, I was highly pleased that the new Logos feature 'Popular Highlights' show in a number of areas in this excerpt!     Was quite pleasantly surprised, that is!   

MJ, thanks for checking out whether this might be a good candidate for a reading list.   Please get back to us! 

I actually felt a sense of kinship and camaraderie and community with others of you who were also reading this section today.  Now, I grant you that it all may just have been "in my head"  (*smile*) ...  but it did feel good!    Whether you were reading or not  .................

I look forward to tomorrow!            Good Night!             Sweet Dreams!   

"GOOD NIGHT, Mrs. Calabash--wherever you are!"

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 173
Eleanor Emmott | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 8:41 PM

Hopefully Andrew will have some good ideas.  

I just tried to generate a basic reading plan of the Ante-Nicene Fathers vol 1 (protestant edition) and even with All Passages selected, it appears that the reading plan only goes until the Fragments of Papias, which is less that half way through the book.

Has anyone else tried this yet?

Posts 33484
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 8:56 PM

Jim L. West:
But, it does not show up on my Home Page

PB lectionaries with Biblical Readings will appear correctly on the home page they do not expand to show the text in resource format. Those not accessing the Bible will not show the readings on the home page but the heading will appear.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 173
Eleanor Emmott | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 9:28 PM

I also believe that only one Lectionary will show up on the ribbon/side-bar.  So unless this lectionary is the highest-prioritized lectionary it will not be displayed.

Posts 33484
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 9:36 PM

Eleanor Emmott:

it appears that the reading plan only goes until the Fragments of Papias, which is less that half way through the book.

This is a long-standing problem.

Posts 33484
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 9:44 PM

Eleanor Emmott:
I also believe that only one Lectionary will show up on the ribbon/side-bar.

Unfortunately also true.

Posts 1853
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 3:03 AM

Jon:
Thanks Ken, that's very helpful; I had wondered if that were possible as some of the readings started in the middle of a page — how do you work out what the reference syntax is for an author or work?

A bit of trial and error, but http://wiki.logos.com/Finding_the_right_datatype_name_and_reference is a good guide for the basics.

SDG

Ken

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 2521
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 3:48 AM

MJ. Smith:

Eleanor Emmott:

it appears that the reading plan only goes until the Fragments of Papias, which is less that half way through the book.

This is a long-standing problem.

This has been a problem for several years. 

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/16438/394371.aspx#394371

Every few months I check to see if this problem is fixed, but not yet.Sad

Posts 33484
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 9:47 PM

As a temporary solution, I've made the readings into a reading list http://topics.logos.com/Read_the_Fathers

It should appear as a recently updated reading list on the home page or open it via Tools | Reading Lists

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 10:07 PM

Thanks MJ! it definitely helps being able to check them off and see where you're up to Smile

Posts 33484
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 10:35 PM

https://faithlife.com/logos-read-the-fathers

This Faithlife Group for Read the Fathers is NOT to be used instead of the primary site for discussion rather it is to allow everyone to make suggestions for supplemental readings to add to the reading list and to allow for community notes to the text of the ECF's.

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2012 10:46 AM

MJ. Smith:

As a temporary solution, I've made the readings into a reading list http://topics.logos.com/Read_the_Fathers

It should appear as a recently updated reading list on the home page or open it via Tools | Reading Lists

MJ, I hope you don't mind: I took the liberty of creating another list that links to the Catholic Edition for those who have that (like me) and named it Read the Fathers (CE). I used the following excel file to create the reading list   3771.ECF reading plan.xlsx

Posts 33484
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2012 12:37 PM

Thank you. It needed to be done but I had higher priorities.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2012 1:49 PM

Kenneth McGuire:

Jon:
Thanks Ken, that's very helpful; I had wondered if that were possible as some of the readings started in the middle of a page — how do you work out what the reference syntax is for an author or work?

A bit of trial and error, but http://wiki.logos.com/Finding_the_right_datatype_name_and_reference is a good guide for the basics.

SDG

Ken

That boggles my mind!             I will appreciate even more the labour that you and others do in sharing PB's!           Thank you!      This has been a good thread!  *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 1853

Kenneth McGuire:
Unfortunately I do not know the reference syntax for Clement or Hippolytus...

I was able to replace a few more page references to datatype links, including for most of Clement of Alexandria.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 30 2012 4:42 PM

Peace, Ken!       Thanks!                         Blessings for 2013!                              *smile*

Posts 1853

I think this is as complete as I can it for 2013, but most items are by resource type link.  I have added through Cyprian's works at the start of year 2.

SDG

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 1 2013 6:34 PM

Thank you, Ken!        *smile*                       Blessings to you!                 I DO remember you in prayer on a pretty regular basis!               You have a "sharing" heart, indeed and are tremendously helpful on these Logos Forums.................

Peace Always!

I have noticed and appreciate your:  "sanus perfecte        est in spe, in re ... peccator - M. Luther, 1515"

Posts 236
Michael March | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 2 2013 6:36 PM

Thank you to all. I missed this in December, so I'm glad it came up again. Special thanks Jon and Ken. I dragged a link to my favorites bar, which I guess most are doing, but it does not open on today's date. If there's something I've done wrong, I'd like to fix it, though it's not a big deal to scroll to today's date. Thanks again.

Windows PC - Android Phone - Surface Pro 4

Page 2 of 3 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS