How are you using Evernote in conjunction with Logos?

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 57
Ralph Wood | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 4 2012 8:33 PM

I'm a new (and I mean really new) Evernote user.  I've seen some forum posts regarding the integration of Evernote within Logos...but my question is more basic than that.  I'd like to know how folks are using Evernote in conjunction with Logos.  What sorts of Logos related documents, files, etc. do you store in Evernote?  

Posts 103
mwk | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 9:53 PM

While this isn't completely Logo-specific, I put all my teaching notes in Evernote. That way, I can refer to them if I'm out and have some spare moments. So when I'm going through resources in Logos or somewhere else online, I may cut/paste different things into my lesson notes in Evernote.

And if for some reason I get separated from my notes for my class on Sundays, I can pull out my iPhone and get my notes there.

More importantly for me, I copy and paste my highlights from Kindle books into Evernote. If I don't refer back to my notes from a book, I'm likely to forget some great info. So having all my notes in Evernote means I can refer to them while I'm waiting at the barber shop, in line somewhere, etc.

I have yet to figure out how to get highlighted notes from Logos on my iPad into a list that I can copy/paste into Logos like I can do with my Kindle notes. If anyone knows, please point me in the right direction.

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 4 2012 10:14 PM

mwk67:
I have yet to figure out how to get highlighted notes from Logos on my iPad into a list that I can copy/paste into Logos like I can do with my Kindle notes.

Work out which Note document your highlights are being stored in, if you haven't changed it, it will probably be named after the highlight palette you're using e.g. "Highlighter pens". Open the note document in Logos and do Print/Export, then use Copy to Clipboard and paste into Evernote.

Posts 57
Ralph Wood | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 10:24 AM

mwk67:

More importantly for me, I copy and paste my highlights from Kindle books into Evernote. If I don't refer back to my notes from a book, I'm likely to forget some great info. So having all my notes in Evernote means I can refer to them while I'm waiting at the barber shop, in line somewhere, etc.

I have yet to figure out how to get highlighted notes from Logos on my iPad into a list that I can copy/paste into Logos like I can do with my Kindle notes. If anyone knows, please point me in the right direction.

You and I are on the very same page.   I would love the ability to export my logos highlights from the Notes document (as a group...not one by one) to a Word document but the text in the Notes file has some kind of abbreviated version of the text.   (Example:  the churches are … the light shines.)  This abbreviated text is what I see whether I select "Full" or "Compact".  

So, I've been creating Clippings documents in Logos, exporting the Clippings document to Word, Sending the Word document to my Kindle library, delivering the Kindle document to my Android device, higlighting in th Kindle app, retrieving my highlighted text from kindle.amazon.com, and creating a final Word document with those highlights -- a lot of steps - and even Amazon has space restrictions.  Sure seems that Logos could reduce my seven-step process to two if the highlghted text in the Notes file was complete.   (Now I'm trying to determine the best way to incorporate Evernote in this process)

Posts 558
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 10:58 AM

First, Let me say that I've completely given up on using Logos for notes.  The entire system and method of trying to tie notes to resources, etc is a nightmare.  Now I copy and paste everything I want from logos into Evernote.  I have separate notebooks set up for each series I am teaching on and various notes in those notebooks with clippings, graphics, pictures, etc titles and tagged to each individual lesson.  I then can use that information to pull together what i actually want to use into Keynote for my lesson each week. I find that I do most of my reading and copy/pasting of information on my iPad using the desktop Logos for in depth exegesis, word studies, maps and pictures, but still copying and pasting it all into Evernote.  I also sometimes put information from Evernote into an app called Cloud Outliner because it lets me manipulate and arrange the data before putting it into Keynote.  Surprisingly, I find I can do all the final lesson prep on my iPad using Evernote, Cloud Outliner, and Keynote.  My classroom at the church has an Apple TV (on the church wi-fi) connected to an LCD TV in the front of the class to display the Keynote information, and a white board which i use for discussions.

As a side note, I tend to highlight a lot.  I completely ignore logos' absurd note files for highlights.  I just highlight and let Logos figure out where and how to remember what I've highlighted.  If I want something I've highlighted (and i usually do) to be part of my lesson, I also copy and paste it into Evernote.

It isn't as simple and easy as it could be, but it works.  Logos method is even more obtuse and convoluted, and doesn't work.  Usding Evernote I can find anything and everything I need.

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 11:34 AM

I use Evernote instead of Logos for prayer lists.  I actually originally got Evernote for that purpose, though I use it for all sorts of things.  I prefer to use iPad or iPod for prayer lists, rather than sitting at a computer.  I had to get the paid version as I don't have wifi at home, but I consider it's money well spent.

Posts 103
mwk | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 1:33 PM

Jon:

Work out which Note document your highlights are being stored in, if you haven't changed it, it will probably be named after the highlight palette you're using e.g. "Highlighter pens". Open the note document in Logos and do Print/Export, then use Copy to Clipboard and paste into Evernote.

I had typed how I couldn't find where Notes are stored on the iPad, but just figured it out. Thank you.

However, I don't see a Print/Export option. Is that something that is a part of the app, or just an iPad function?

Is it just me or do the notes do a terrible job if indicating what book the note came from? I had one from OTS. Had to go to the note to see that it was Old Testament Survey. Same with all the other books.

Ah... one other thing. Do notes in the iPad not sync to the desktop version of Logos?

Posts 57
Ralph Wood | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 7:03 PM

John Kaess:

I have separate notebooks set up for each series I am teaching on and various notes in those notebooks with clippings, graphics, pictures, etc titles and tagged to each individual lesson.  

John,

Would you be willing to share a link to one or two of your Evernote notebooks so that I might get some ideas on layout, content, etc?  I would greatly appreciate it.

BTW...I'm jealous about your classroom capabilities!  Geeked

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 7:16 PM

mwk67:

However, I don't see a Print/Export option. Is that something that is a part of the app, or just an iPad function?

Ah... one other thing. Do notes in the iPad not sync to the desktop version of Logos?

Sorry I should have been more specific :) The notes do sync to the desktop, and that's want I meant by opening the note document in Logos for exporting —> from the icon/menu button in the top left of any pane, you can click Print/Export.

As has been noted above, my suggestion is not so useful if you do your highlighting in desktop Logos, as the highlighted text gets truncated. However, if you do your highlighting on the iPad then the text is all there in the note file.

Posts 558
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 7:29 PM

Ralph Wood:

John Kaess:

I have separate notebooks set up for each series I am teaching on and various notes in those notebooks with clippings, graphics, pictures, etc titles and tagged to each individual lesson.  

John,

Would you be willing to share a link to one or two of your Evernote notebooks so that I might get some ideas on layout, content, etc?  I would greatly appreciate it.

BTW...I'm jealous about your classroom capabilities!  Geeked

When I get back on my computer I'll send you a link to share 2 of my notebooks.  I'll need your email address.

I was completely surprised when the church set up the adult CE classroom with the Apple TV and LCD screen.  They had set up a church wide I-fi about a year before for use in the sanctuary and classrooms.

Posts 103
mwk | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 7:45 PM

Jon:

The notes do sync to the desktop, and that's want I meant by opening the note document in Logos for exporting —> from the icon/menu button in the top left of any pane, you can click Print/Export.

Ah... one of the great mysteries of life (for me at least) finally revealed. My sincerest thanks!

I do a lot of my reading on my iPad. I depend heavily on the highlights feature on my Kindle app and this situation with the Logos highlighting (my lack of knowledge, basically) was preventing me from really wanting to do a lot of my reading in Logos. This changes things.

Thanks again.

Posts 57
Ralph Wood | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 7:47 PM

John Kaess:

When I get back on my computer I'll send you a link to share 2 of my notebooks.  I'll need your email address.

Posts 103
mwk | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 8:09 PM

Ralph Wood:

I would love the ability to export my logos highlights from the Notes document (as a group...not one by one) to a Word document but the text in the Notes file has some kind of abbreviated version of the text.

Based on what Jon explained in this thread, are you able to do this now, or am I getting your scenario confused with mine?

Because now I can get an export of my full highlights so far that I can, for my purposes, drop into Evernote. (Or anywhere else I might want to drop them.)

For me, I have a shorter path than what you're doing. But at least I have full, editable access to my iPad highlights in the Logos desktop. (And maybe that's the difference... I'm starting in the iPad app with my highlights.)

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2012 7:16 AM

Ralph Wood:
I'll need your email address

Ralph now that he has that email you should reallytry to get it editted off or deleted from your page. Automatic "spybots" etc harvest web pages for legitimate emails.

Next time perhaps post it but separate the sections with spaces and substitute the word "dot" for th period.

People on the Forums should be able to know how to then  "translate" that into a correct/usable email etc.

Kindest regards

[you are allowed a few hours to edityour own posts. I just cannot remember how long. Do it through that "more" button and then click on edit] Smile

Regards, SteveF

Posts 57
Ralph Wood | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2012 8:01 AM

SteveF:

Ralph Wood:
I'll need your email address

Ralph now that he has that email you should reallytry to get it editted off or deleted from your page. Automatic "spybots" etc harvest web pages for legitimate emails.

Next time perhaps post it but separate the sections with spaces and substitute the word "dot" for th period.

People on the Forums should be able to know how to then  "translate" that into a correct/usable email etc.

Kindest regards

[you are allowed a few hours to edityour own posts. I just cannot remember how long. Do it through that "more" button and then click on edit] Smile

Thanks, Steve.  I thought of that myself earlier this morning but apparently that time period has expired.  Neither the delete or edit options are available in the "More" drop-down list.   I should have thought of using a cryptic version of my address when I wrote the post.  Tongue Tied

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2012 10:55 AM

Perhaps someone at Logos might be able to help?

All the best

Regards, SteveF

Posts 2
LogosEmployee
Jon Kaer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2012 11:24 AM

Hi Ralph,

We spotted this and went ahead and deleted the email address in the post above.  

Sincerely,

Jon Kaer

Logos Support Department

Logos Academic Sales 1-800-878-4191| 1-360-603-5572 | UK Callers: 0(871)218-1700

Posts 57
Ralph Wood | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2012 12:43 PM

Jon Kaer:

Hi Ralph,

We spotted this and went ahead and deleted the email address in the post above.  

Sincerely,

Jon Kaer

Logos Support Department

Thanks, Jon!!!   Lesson Learned.  Embarrassed

Posts 80
Bruce Lundquist | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2013 6:20 AM

Before switching to the Mac Book Pro, I was a Windows laptop user. Like you Nicky I wrote my prayer, but on Microsoft Office OneNote. I did it for years!  I then switched to the Mac and am glad I did.  However, despite having Office for Mac, they have never written a OneNote app for the Mac.  I tried Evernote, but it was so different from OneNote I abandon it.  I like having sections at the top and tabs on the side where I can keep track of the days.  Evernote was just too different.  It could be that I just didn't study it enough, but I finally found a OneNote alternative.  It's called "Growly Notes."  It has section tabs at the top and page tabs on the side.  If you want to try it you won't find it on the App Store.  You have to down load it from the website. http://www.growlybird.com/GrowlyBird/Notes.html.  Also, it's free.

Apple MacBook Pro 16G macOS Mojave version 10.14.4 Beta
Logos Bible Software 8.3 - 8.3.0.0034
http://fcov.org (Faith Church of the Valley)

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2013 8:46 AM

Jon:

mwk67:
I have yet to figure out how to get highlighted notes from Logos on my iPad into a list that I can copy/paste into Logos like I can do with my Kindle notes.

Yes

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS