Disappointed with Verbum

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 5 2012 9:33 PM

Features of Logos 5 do not access catholic resources in Verbum.

For instance, Topic searches do not include catholic topics/words etc.

Disappointing to say the least.

Was also led to believe there were catholic "passage guides", better said: The passage guides would pull up the catholic resources by default. At least thats what I thought, guess I must have misunderstood.

I think a "catholic" guide that does not recognize "The Blessed Virgin Mary" or "Eucharist"  is no catholic guide, no, not at all.

IMHO

Posts 26310
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 5 2012 10:09 PM

While I agree with your assessment, I also know that Logos has committed to updating the Logos Controlled Vocabulary and Biblical Facts to meet Catholic needs. I have my suspicions as to why Logos chose to release Verbum before making the upgrades, but as they are merely suspicions I'll not share them. I'll merely say that Bob P. may have acted in a prudent manner. If Logos does not make the updates within a reasonable time frame, I'll feel justified in griping loudly.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2012 3:24 AM

Thanks, understood, can guess as to the reasons. Understand difficulties are many, least of which are publishing world issues, e-texts etc.

Thanks

Posts 2394
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2012 4:49 AM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

On the other hand - it is a start - Lots better then two years ago.

Posts 89
Harbey Santiago | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2012 4:56 AM

David Ames:

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

On the other hand - it is a start - Lots better then two years ago.

Agreed, two years ago it was a desert for Catholic resources. Just a few things here and there.

"Viva Cristo Rey!!"

Deacon Harbey Santiago

Archdiocese of Baltimore

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 7 2012 6:17 PM

Yes, very, very happy to have the Catholic resources, bought one of the first "packages" when they came about.

This has been a problem area in Biblical Software for a long, long time, finally, we are getting not only Catholic resources, but excellent ones , both current and ancient as well.

I hope as this expands we will also see more Orthodox and Anglican resources .

Grace and Peace to all.

Posts 752
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 9:02 AM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

For instance, Topic searches do not include catholic topics/words etc.

Disappointing to say the least.

Was also led to believe there were catholic "passage guides", better said: The passage guides would pull up the catholic resources by default. At least thats what I thought, guess I must have misunderstood.

I think a "catholic" guide that does not recognize "The Blessed Virgin Mary" or "Eucharist"  is no catholic guide, no, not at all.

IMHO

We do have a number of topics that should be relevant to Verbum users, though i'm sure we still have room to improve both the number of topics, and the resources that are associated with them.

We do have plans to add some more specifically Catholic resources to the Topic Guide. And you're always welcome to suggest topics you think we should have (Catholic or otherwise): sometimes we have a topic already but not with the search term you're looking for. You can email any suggestions (for topics, labels, or resources) to data@logos.com.

Posts 24
Jonathan Ridgway | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 9:16 AM

and hopefully some Eastern Catholic searches and resources,

Posts 26310
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 1:52 PM

Sean Boisen:
We do have a number of topics that should be relevant to Verbum users, though i'm sure we still have room to improve both the number of topics, and the resources that are associated with them.

There's not a lot that is specifically Catholic - but the fact that the LCV lacks the apocrypha/deuterocanonicals and the lack of Jewish terms is a big problem. When the topics.logos.com first came out, I had started adding some of the missing entries - until I was told it was futile. Some are, as you indicate, a simple matter of a synonym - what people will think of first in trying to find things.

What I find most challenging are the passages of Scripture that are known by name (Bread of Life Discourse, or Psalms known by their incipits) and names from tradition  (especially Talmudic and occasionally Muslim). Convince me it is worth the effort and I gladly provide suggestions in whatever format will get them into the LCV and topics.logos.com the fastest.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 489
LogosEmployee
Louis St. Hilaire | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 1:54 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

Are you not seeing the Catechism, Church Documents and Church Fathers collection searches in the Passage Guide? (Note that your old saved guides will probably still have the sections present when you ran them, so try running a new guide on a passage you haven't done previously.)

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
we are getting not only Catholic resources, but excellent ones , both current and ancient as well.

This is key to the improvement of LCV and our other databases as well, since they are built on top of the content in our library. More (and better) Catholic resources incorporated into LCV means better coverage of Catholic topics.

Posts 27
Brandon Vaughn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 1:56 PM

My hope with the latest Catholic resources is that we may finally see some Eastern Orthodox show up as well.  I welcome the Catholic resources, but I know Logos will be burning a hole in my wallet once they start bringing more robust Orthodox materials online.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 4:45 PM

Yes, I have a guide set up with the Catechism, just thought a Catholic edition should came with "The" Passage guide having keyed many/most catholic resources, good to know they are working on it.

Agreed on the Orthodox resources ( think I mentioned that somewhere ), there are also some pretty good Anglican resources that could be added as well.

Still, as it stands right now, Logos is really the first one to make available any depth at all in these type resources.

I have said, many times, to several Biblical software companies: Open the doors to catholic/orthodox/anglican resources and you will have a whole new market. I hope, as word gets out, people truly respond which "should" make a lot more resources available for everyone.

I also hope and pray, as this happens, there will come about better unity and understanding as people are exposed to more depth of theology/disciplines etc.

Posts 2394
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 9:52 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

I also hope and pray, as this happens, there will come about better unity and understanding as people are exposed to more depth of theology/disciplines etc.

That is why I have a platinum coated capstone and why I review all 1194 articles in all 545 resources hit. [on the other hand I am not preparing weekly talks -  What ‘they’ have not yet discovered is that you learn more by reading the writer that you are not comfortable with then you do reading the one you are comfortable with [You could have written the comfortable one but can you see where you and the uncomfortable writer parted ways? It makes you think!]] 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS