Hidding Nothing

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4
Scott Davis | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 6 2012 2:57 PM

I purchased Logos 5 a few days ago after hearing Scott Lindsey, Director of Ministry Relations at Logos, on a radio show talking about the product. He was in John 4:24 "worship God in spirit and in truth." (he was using the bronze package on a mac and I have a windows laptop) He said he could hover his cursor over the word truth and in the right hand corner the Greek Lexicon definded that as "hiding nothing" as in being completely transparent before God. It was like a light was turned on for me. I was sold and I wanted it. The problem is mine doesn't do that and I bought the bronze package with the minimal cross grade.

The closest thing that I get to that is when I right click on the word truth, and click on Lemma, and scroll down to Theological Lexicon of the New Testiment it gives a long discription that includes the words "not hidden" but that doesn't give me the same word picture. Am I doing something wrong? Does he have a resource that I don't? I appreciate your help.

Scott D.

Posts 705
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2012 3:07 PM

He likely would have been using the 'Information' window. Menu -> Tools | Information.

Once the Information window is open (usually on right hand side) you can adjust the settings for that to give information on a word by either hover or click. What you see in the information screen depends partly on the resources you have. Try it and see what you get.

I see the text 'hiding nothing' — see screenshot below. It comes from BDAG = 'A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, 3rd ed. (BDAG)' a paid resource. You can find info on it here

http://www.logos.com/product/3878/a-greek-english-lexicon-of-the-new-testament-and-other-early-christian-literature-3rd-ed

If it is in your library you can type 'BDAG' in the command window or on the Logos site the 'Add to cart' button will be greyed out.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 4561
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2012 3:07 PM

Welcome to the forums Scott.

He got that result from BDAG. If you have it, (type "open Bdag" in the command bar to see if you have that resource. Additionally the resource needs to be prioritized from the library, as the top dictionary.

Everything ever written or spoken in Religion, formatted for Logos Bible Software. Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 2409
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2012 3:13 PM

Hi Scott

Welcome to the forum and to Logos.

I can't answer all the points in your question but I typed 'John 4:24' in the 'Go' bar of the home page and then hovered over the word truth.

This is a screen shot of what I got on my Mac. (not the red oval - I put that there)

Posts 159
Claybon Collins Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 6 2012 3:22 PM

Thanks, I have gotten mine set correctly now!

Posts 4
Scott Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 8 2012 6:48 PM

Thanks for your help. I'll see if I have that resource. Thanks, again.

Posts 4625
Forum MVP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 8 2012 7:04 PM

Scott Davis:

Thanks for your help. I'll see if I have that resource. Thanks, again.

Sclott, I'd like to add my own "Welcome to these Logos Forums!"   If you'd like to know more about  -- or just chat about -- BDAG, come back to this thread; and perhaps we can share the WHY it is such an important resource!   *smile*

Peace to you, Scott and Always Joy in the Lord!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 4
Scott Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 12:42 PM

Thanks. I checked out the resource and it's pretty expensive. So why do you feel the resource is so valuable?

Posts 4625
Forum MVP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 3:32 PM

Scott Davis:

Thanks. I checked out the resource and it's pretty expensive. So why do you feel the resource is so valuable?

Peace, Scott!           Now that I re-think the matter, I end up thinking that it depends where one is in his/her study of koine and perhaps classic Greek.  I think perhaps I may have overstated just a wee bit.  Fred Danker was my Professor in a couple of courses at the Seminary a long, long, long time ago.  Excellent Professor.  Good Teacher.  What he did to maximize this resource cannot be overstated.  However, not everyone wants to get into the Greek Language Studies to that same degree.  LSJ is super good also with many of the Perseus resources.  But, again (!) not everyone wants to go into it in that detail. So, Scott, now I think it depends on how deep one wants to study whether or not BDAG is "vital" to him/her....           I'd be interested in the response of other Logos Bible Software users.  We have some who use this program for inductive Bible Study.  Others for personal growth -- meditation.  Others for myriad reasons!               *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS