Indexing Process

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 6
Ronald E. Ratliff | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 1 2009 2:32 PM

Does one need to have logos 4.0 open and online in order for the indexing process to complete?

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2009 2:34 PM

Ronald E. Ratliff:

Does one need to have logos 4.0 open and online in order for the indexing process to complete?

No.

The indexer runs independently of the Logos4 engine. It does not need internet access to run, nor to complete. It will continue to run as long as your computer does not enter 'sleep' or 'hibernation' mode, or you do not have the OS set to shut down the HDD after a certain period of inactivity.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 6
Ronald E. Ratliff | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2009 2:39 PM

Good! So is it fine to turn my firewall, etc back on? Also, will the indexing automatically continue after restarting my computer?

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2009 3:00 PM

Ronald E. Ratliff:

Good! So is it fine to turn my firewall, etc back on? Also, will the indexing automatically continue after restarting my computer?

Do not turn off your computer! If you do indexing will restart from scratch. Indexing should continue from where it left off, if your computer goes into hibernation or sleep mode (but no guarantees).

You may turn your firewall back on, as the indexer does not use the internet.

Posts 1
Hayden Hartland | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 1:19 PM

I am totally confused! I downloaded an update that was about 350MB two days ago and Logos 4 is still indexing? If I had known it would take any time to complete this index I would have skipped the upgrade/download/patch. The indexing engine indicated a time line of 1.5 hrs but we are more than 48 hours into this and I cannot use the software?

Any thoughts on what I should do? I have a 9GB library not sure how many resources that is... I am currently on hold with Support (20 mins so far...) 

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 1:25 PM

Hayden Hartland:

I am totally confused! I downloaded an update that was about 350MB two days ago and Logos 4 is still indexing? If I had known it would take any time to complete this index I would have skipped the upgrade/download/patch. The indexing engine indicated a time line of 1.5 hrs but we are more than 48 hours into this and I cannot use the software?

Any thoughts on what I should do? I have a 9GB library not sure how many resources that is... I am currently on hold with Support (20 mins so far...) 

When a large update downloads (like the 350 MB one you experienced, note a simple engine update will be around 36 MB,) it is probably updates to books or media resources. These files must be indexed. You can still use the software while it is indexing but, depending on your system, it may be very sluggish and search results might be spotty. The estimated time for indexing is notoriously unreliable.

However, with all that said, indexing for 48 hours is very unusual (unless you are on a very low powered notebook etc). Look at your system resources... is the indexer using a lot of your CPU? If not it may need to be terminated and restarted.

Posts 132
LogosEmployee
Peter Venable | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 1:36 PM

Depending on how many cores your CPU has, the latter stages of indexing may not seem to be using much CPU because they are confined to a single thread, so for example on a 4-core system it will take 25% or less.  So don't kill the process when it's almost done... you'll just have to start over.  If you have logging turned on you'll be able to see the indexer's progress in the Logos4Indexer.log file.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 3:40 PM

By all means Hayden, listen to Peter more that me! Smile He's a developer and I'm not. However, Peter, could you explain how the indexer logs get started? Can the logs be started in the middle of indexing?

Posts 132
LogosEmployee
Peter Venable | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2010 4:33 PM

Unfortunately, I don't think logging can be enabled in the middle of indexing.  Instructions here: http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging

Posts 2
Miskela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 23 2011 4:01 PM

I am a first-time user of Logos Bible Software and, today, I purchased the Platinum version.  I installed from the website and it made mention of unlocking via the Libronix site.  No idea what that means, but I did go to www.libronix.com to see if I could find Help and About Libronix DLS and didn't see anywhere to download Libronix software or enter any kind of credentials to unlock my account.

I installed the software and it loaded to the Welcome page.  There is no information about first-time indexing.  I have no Parental Controls enabled to lock me out.  I also have set my laptop to not go to sleep.

There's no indexing indicator in my task bar (though I see options for showing notification icons in my Show Hidden Icons button), but it doesn't do anything.

So, I'm stuck.  I've sent an email to Customer Service for help getting started.  I've watched the videos on Indexing and Installation and they show a piece of the puzzle that my particular computer/laptop isn't doing.  It asks me to login, after installation, and I do.  Then it goes to the Welcome page.  And that's it.  Nothing else.

I wondered if I had, somehow, ordered a DVD copy (though there don't seem to be options in the Checkout -- it just says Platinum KX) and so I'm wondering if maybe I need to wait for a DVD or CD, even though in purchasing the product, it didn't seem to specify that as an option.

So if anyone has any thoughts that would be great.  So far, I'm feeling a bit frustrated as I've already uninstalled once, reinstalling, hoping to get that First Index going, all the while wondering how to go about this Libronix unlock.

I've never owned a previous version of this software.  I'm a first-time user, so I have no database or account or former version to transition.  Not sure if that helps.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 23 2011 4:21 PM

Melissa Bianco:
So if anyone has any thoughts that would be great.  So far, I'm feeling a bit frustrated as I've already uninstalled once, reinstalling, hoping to get that First Index going, all the while wondering how to go about this Libronix unlock.

Libronix is basically Logos version 3. If you bought Platinum, my assumption is that you bought Logos4. The are quite different programs.

So first let's make sure that you are using Logos4. The Libronix icon is red with some white pages and circles. The Logos4 icon is blue background with a white magnifying glass surrounding a cross.

If you don't have Logos4 report back and we'll get you going with the right program.

Assuming you have Logos4 installed (and it sounds like you do), open Logos4 and (after it finishes loading) press CTRL-L. That should open your library browser. What do you see? Do you see any resources there?

If you do see some resources, press Alt-S (opens a search pane). Do you see a notice there that Logos4 is still indexing? If so, it is indexing, though the indexing notification icon isn't visible in your system tray (in Win7 it could be hiding in the 'notification' area).

If you don't see any resources, with Logos4 installed, then my guess is that only customer service will be able to help you, at this point.

Posts 2
Miskela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 23 2011 7:06 PM

You're correct.  I did buy Logos 4. 

I'll see what CS has to say.  Thanks for the feedback, though!   I appreciate it.

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 24 2011 6:16 AM

If I remember rightly, the Logos icon that tells you you're downloading etc gives you the option to pause indexing for a few hours.  I don't know how that works as I've never done it.

Posts 8652
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 24 2011 7:15 AM

nicky crane:

If I remember rightly, the Logos icon that tells you you're downloading etc gives you the option to pause indexing for a few hours.  I don't know how that works as I've never done it.

It works, for four hours actually though you can resume any time with another right click.  It's not an instant pause though.  IIRC it finishes the currently indexing resource before pausing.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 103
Mark O'Hearn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 24 2011 11:01 AM

Indexing is a necessary frustration.  I believe most users understand its benefit.  Notwithstanding, releases of updates result in re-indexing that can be especially bothersome for some users, especially if they are in the middle of a study with a deadline for a sermon.

Now we have some options for sure.  We can turn off the program’s Internet usage altogether.  Not preferred if you are like me and enjoy a quick look at the HomePage for specials/sales and pre-pubs.  So we can just turn off automatic updates.  Now this is generally acceptable, but I would like the opportunity to weigh the benefits of installing each update sooner than later.  If the update does not result in re-indexing I would like to install it.  There may even be times that I would like to install updates if they involve resources that I am presently using.

Suggestion One:

One simple solution would be to have in the Logos 4 forum a “sticky” thread created and locked by Logos 4 staff where all update announcements are posted explaining their content and whether they require re-indexing afterwards.  Right now I believe such posts are not kept together, and while I appreciate the comments by other users, I would rather have this sticky thread only used by Logos staff (comments from users can always occur in another thread).

Suggestion Two:

In the Program settings, enhance the updates to include critical updates that only involve the program and do not initiate re-indexing.  I think most users who have expressed concerns about re-indexing would pick this option.

Suggestion Three:

With the above two options implemented, in the future the indexing options could be further enhanced so that we can either download and install an update right away, or just download and install it later.  Depending on your decision with Suggestion Two, this could mean delaying the installation of all updates or just non-critical ones (new resources or revisions to existing ones).

Regards

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 24 2011 12:07 PM

Mark O'Hearn:
Indexing is a necessary frustration.  I believe most users understand its benefit.  Notwithstanding, releases of updates result in re-indexing that can be especially bothersome for some users, especially if they are in the middle of a study with a deadline for a sermon. . .

One thing in beta testing right now is the ability to delay downloads until a certain time of day. I set mine for 6pm, when I'm typically away from my computer. I was notified during the day of an upcoming download, scheduled for 6pm. I let it run it's course (it's beta testing, after all, and I wanted to test it). When I returned to check later that evening (I have a home office), both the download and the indexing was done. The next time I started Logos4 I got a message about "preparing your library" which lasted about 10-15 seconds, Logos started, and no further indexing was necessary. That was pretty cool!

This works well for desktops (I leave mine on all the time), but for a savvy laptop user this could also work, if you remember to leave the computer running instead of sleeping or hibernating it.

I don't know if that satisfies all your concerns, but it seems like a step in the right direction of dealing with the original problem issue of Logos4 indexing while we need to use the program. (BTW, I trust that you know that indexing can be paused for all releases as well, freeing up processor time for working with the program).

Your first suggestion is a good one. Maybe there could even be a separate forum for this where replies could be locked as well (just the facts please).

Regarding your second & third suggestions, I won't comment on their merits, except to say that they seem reasonable and possible. However, Bob has stated quite firmly that he doesn't want to consider a selective download scenario (program, but not resources, or vice versa). What you suggest isn't exactly that, but I wouldn't expect an implementation any time soon. (BTW, in my experience those downloads that do not require any indexing are very few and far between, anyway, and so would not likely address your original problem issue very well. Most of the time, you'd be faced with a download requiring at least some indexing.)

Posts 103
Mark O'Hearn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 24 2011 12:46 PM

Thanks Richard.  Suggestion One is very easy to implement but I think very useful.  I could easily get by with disabling auto-updates and check that thread periodically for important/critical updates.

I only use my laptop for Logos.  Options are great, but it is turned off and put away when not in use, so that beta enhancement unfortunately won't be that useful to me.  However, desktop users who don't mind running their machines overnight (for example) will benefit from it for sure.

Re-indexing is not a huge issue for me really.  With the i7 Intel processor to re-index my entire Platinum library usually only takes an hour or less.  But when I do ask to delay the re-index for 4 hours the process stays resident in memory, and immediately starts upon any reboot.  Of course I can kill it during the session, but it is a bit "pushy" nonetheless. :)

While I respect the Company's position on this matter, as a user I do see the core program as critical/important updates (or any resource that can cause a lockup) and new/revised resources with fixed typos as two different categories.  But like I said at the beginning, with auto-updates off and a dedicated thread that's all I really need to make it work for me.

Regards

Posts 26012
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 24 2011 4:08 PM

Mark O'Hearn:

So we can just turn off automatic updates. 

Suggestion One:

One simple solution would be to have in the Logos 4 forum a “sticky” thread created and locked by Logos 4 staff where all update announcements are posted explaining their content and whether they require re-indexing afterwards.  Right now I believe such posts are not kept together, and while I appreciate the comments by other users, I would rather have this sticky thread only used by Logos staff (comments from users can always occur in another thread).

With Auto Download Updates = NO we have the luxury to look at forum threads when we receive notification of an update. Logos have been publishing details in the forums and the 4.2a beta also includes the size of the download.  You can assume indexing will always be involved but you can hide some resources (the Help + People, Places and Things are not resources). The beta also introduces patching for updates so that (for example) a 7.4 MB download will replace 68 MB of resources! New resources/files will always be full size. Patching adds about 1.5s/resource to the download time.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS