Replacing paper books with Logos

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1996
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 8 2012 6:40 AM

I have been slowly replacing all of my paper books with Logos versions.  In the beginning, I had a hard time justifying purchasing books in Logos that I already owned, and I had not figured out a suitable way to get rid of my paper versions.  There were many times when I just could not afford to make a purchase through Logos unless I could get something back from my paper versions.  I have sold a lot on Ebay in the past, but selling books did not seem feasible, so I tried selling them on Amazon.  That experience has been wonderful.  Amazon takes a cut, but you don't really have to do anything except add the book to the listing (which takes about 30 seconds), and ship the book off when it sells.

Example:  I bought the two OT IVP black dictionaries and the Commentary on the NT use of the OT on special for Thanksgiving.  I listed those three books in "like new" condition on Amazon and they sold within two days for about $27.00 each.

I hope those of you who are like me and need to get some kind of return for the books you are replacing will find this helpful.  I would not be able to spend the money in Logos without selling these books to recoup some of my money, and the experience is quite painless. 

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 8979
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 8 2012 10:11 AM

Joseph, I'm in the middle of doing the same thing. I've finally decided to massively reduce my paper library, keeping on those I can't get in Logos.

I have considered selling books so I appreciate you telling about your success on Amazon. I am also in the middle of seriously considering donating them to a mission organization that serves as a conduit to distribute paper books to pastors and Bible Colleges overseas that have few resources. Has anyone else done this?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 606
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 8 2012 9:31 PM

Yes, I've donated books. One rather large batch was to New Orleans Theological Seminary following Katrina and in response to a suggestion from Logos. The other batch was through Multnomah Theological Seminary in response to one of their Professors who taught a course at the Presbyterian (U.S.A.) congregation I attend in retirement. A subtext is, don't believe everything you hear about Presbyterian (U.S.A.) pastors, retired or otherwiseTongue Tied

Posts 470
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 8 2012 9:39 PM

Joseph,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have some books I really need to sell and had been debating about trying Amazon.

Posts 167
David Kirk Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 6:02 PM

A year ago I discovered how powerful it is to have Logos on my iPad. I decided it was worth it to get Portfolio and begin selling my library. I got in contact with a friend whose brother is in seminary and I promised him that if he could pay the shipping cost approximately $27 a box I will give him my library. He shares them with other students which is great. Long story short after tomorrow when I get the Topical sets tomorrow I will have 8000 resources. This will be four times as many volumes than I had in paper and my friend is ecstatic. I love the payment plan and especially the Community pricing. I am a huge Logos advocate. 

Posts 1996
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 7:50 PM

Having Logos on my iPad is what made my paper books obsolete.  I tried to read on my laptop before, but it was just too bulky.  The iPad fixed that problem, and I have not looked back.

I like the ideas about donating as well.  I have some friends in the ministry that I give books to, but sometimes it is either sell the book in order to get it in Logos, or keep the paper copy. 

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 8:37 PM

Joseph Turner:
I have sold a lot on Ebay in the past, but selling books did not seem feasible, so I tried selling them on Amazon.

Thank you for suggesting this. I have tried selling on eBay but find it laborious. I think I will give Amazon a try. Then maybe I can afford an iPad.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2827
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 8:33 AM

Nearly everything I use is now in my Logos Library.  This has happened gradually over the last 16 plus years.  Yet my wall to wall shelves are still full of paper books.  I don't use those paper copies of the NIVOT / NT, or Kittel, or Moulton & Geden, etc. any more.  But I just cannot seem to bring my self to empty the shelves.

Some of these books - Kittel and Moulton & Geden for example - I literally bought with my blood when a poor seminary student 35 years ago.  I would sell plasma twice a week to get book money.  You could make $100 a month doing that, and in 1976 that was almost a month's groceries for my family, or a copy of Moulton & Geden from the bookstore.  (Priorities, you know.)

I know I need to get rid of some of the books I will not use again.  But not today.  It is just not in my blood.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 279
Mark Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 8:44 AM

I have had a very similar experience.  My oldest son does the selling for me and we split the profits.  I was able to purchase an Ipad with the profits.  I have only used Logos for two years.  The only down side is that many paperback books (in contrast to hardback books) are not worth selling.  Thus, many of the paperbacks end up getting donated.  I am attempting to digitalize all of my files (I was trained to collect articles and have nearly four filing cabinets worth, plus several bookselves of notebooks) and virtually eliminate my paper library.  Good plan?  I hope so.

Posts 57
Ralph Wood | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 9:53 AM

Michael Childs:

Yet my wall to wall shelves are still full of paper books......But I just cannot seem to bring my self to empty the shelves.....I know I need to get rid of some of the books I will not use again.  But not today.  It is just not in my blood.

I feel your pain, Michael!  Tongue Tied

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS