Logos 5 - Windows BSOD

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3
Pamela | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 9 2012 8:31 PM

I am using Logos 5.0a SR-2 on a Windows Vista HP computer.  I've used Logos/Libronix for many years without problems.  However, after the latest update, I have been experiencing Windows crashes when using Logos 5.  I haven't had any problems before this, which just started today. 

I believe the problem might be indexing.  My computer works fine ... I've left it on for hours and have used all of the other applications with no issues.  When I run Logos, I get the BSOD with the following error message:

Parity Check/Memory Parity Error  System Halted

I can open Logos and use it (I paused indexing as a test).  Once I start indexing, that is where the problem seems to be and Windows crashes with the error listed above. 

Does anyone else have a similar problem?  Is this a known issue and is there a fix?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 9:16 PM

Pamela:
Does anyone else have a similar problem?  Is this a known issue and is there a fix? 

This makes me wonder if there are two instances of Logos 5 indexer running simultaneously. Check task manager and see. I have noticed I get problems running Libronix at the same time the Logos 5 indexer is running.  I don't imagine either thing is what is causing your problem but I wanted to bump this post back up to the top where it can be seen by better techies. Coffee

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 25466
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 10:53 PM

Hi Pamela

Pamela:

With this error I would suspect a hardware problem - probably memory but could be other components.

I think the reason you see it when Logos is indexing is that is making heavy use of memory (and other resources) and so more likely to hit a corrupt area.

Suggest you run some hardware diagnostics to try and pin this down further.

There are free tools for memory checking available but I'm afraid I don't know which to recommend.

Hope you get to the bottom of this.

Graham

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 9 2012 11:57 PM

Graham Criddle:

Pamela:

With this error I would suspect a hardware problem - probably memory but could be other components.

Likewise suspect hardware, especially memory.  Other possibility is heat since Logos indexing is resource intensive, which generates more heat.

Graham Criddle:
There are free tools for memory checking available but I'm afraid I don't know which to recommend.

System Rescue CD is a free Linux system rescue distribution that includes Memtest+ => http://www.sysresccd.org and hardware diagnostics: aida

Pamela:
I am using Logos 5.0a SR-2 on a Windows Vista HP computer.

Seem to remember HP having hardware test software.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2012 4:03 AM

Agreed.  Sounds like you have a bad memory chip.  I went through this for a while when I first built my system.  It'll work fine until your system tries to access (either read or write) to the bad memory chip.  Then the dreaded bsod.  Run a memory diagnostic from windows and you should be able to verify.

Posts 23
Kevin Nicholas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2012 5:01 PM

I'm going to disagree with the crowd. If you were having no BSOD issues with the pc prior to installing Logos 5 then I dont believe it is a hardware issue. I work in the IT support field with numerous hardware certifications. One of the golden rules for pc troubleshooting is "what have you installed and/or changed when you started having problems?" In this case it seems to be installing Logos 5. I think there is some sort of configuration issue causing BSOD.

just my two cents.

Posts 9154
LogosEmployee

Kevin Nicholas:

If you were having no BSOD issues with the pc prior to installing Logos 5 then I dont believe it is a hardware issue.

It's basically impossible for a "user mode" program (such as Logos 5) to directly cause a "kernel mode" error (a BSOD) through a bug or programming error. It can be caused indirectly by stressing the hardware, though.

Why the problem typically shows up after installing Logos 5 is that the indexer is designed to use all available hardware resources (to complete indexing as quickly as possible). Some systems have never been run at 100% utilisation before (maybe not even 50%), and Logos 5 finds latent hardware problems that have always been there but have never been exposed. (We've seen a system that got a clean bill of health from a "stress test" program crash when Logos 4 was run on it. We should probably license our technology to the burn-in test manufacturer. Wink) I've personally found a CPU hardware error that was only triggered by Logos 4.

Posts 9154
LogosEmployee

Pamela:

Does anyone else have a similar problem?  Is this a known issue and is there a fix?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

The multi-core indexing of Logos 5 can sometimes stress inadequately-cooled hardware to breaking point. It's probably best to check first that there aren't any physical problems that could be causing heat buildup. Is there a lot of dust in the computer? Are all the fans working properly? If it's a laptop, you could try using a laptop cooling stand.

Another way to try to work around this is to force Logos 5 to only use a single indexing thread. This will dramatically slow it down, but may improve stability. To do this, copy the following line to the clipboard, then open a command prompt. Click the icon in the top left, then select Edit > Paste. (If necessary, press Enter.) It should say "The operation completed successfully."

reg add HKCU\Software\Logos4 /v MaxIndexingThreads /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Try launching Logos 5 again. You should see much lower CPU usage in Task Manager, and hopefully it will finish indexing without error. (It will probably also pay to type "rebuild index" into your Logos 5 Command Box, to force the existing indexes to be recreated from scratch.)

Posts 426
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 3:28 AM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):
Some systems have never been run at 100% utilisation before (maybe not even 50%), and Logos 5 finds latent hardware problems that have always been there but have never been exposed.

The fact that Logos 5 installed without incident increases my attachment to my "old" laptop!  Big Smile

Dell XPS 8930/Intel Core i7-8700@3.20GHz/32GB RAM/Win10 Pro

Surface Pro 7/Intel Core i7-1065 G7@1.30GHz/16 GB RAM/Win10 Home

iPad Air/Pixel/Faithlife Connect

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS