Library Recomendations - for Wish List

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 33
Rodney Ochs | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 10 2012 4:42 PM

i have just upgraded to the logos5 with all the datasets..

I basically have the old "Bible Study" Logos 4..  as of now Im on a budget and wasn't able to upgrade to a package.. just the datasets.

If i get money for Christmas...I would like to create a wish list of things that i should start acquiring. I know that is a wide open area.. Im not a pastor or seminary student. Just a guy who wants to learn more about the bible and improve my bible study/knowledge... maybe even add insightful information and depth to my small group.

One product i have been eying is the Expositors bible Commentary. And i also noticed the 12 Days of Christmas has the Vines for $8, which i have heard mentioned. 

But would be curious to anyone's suggestions.

At any rate.. thank you.

Posts 34
Andrew Stewart | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2012 4:56 PM

As far as the Christmas sales, ISBE at $100 is a pretty decent deal.  That Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary, and the Zondervan Encyclopedia of the Bible are the three top bible dictionaries that you people talk about in these forums.

If you really want to get the most out of Logos, I would recommend that you look toward upgrading to the Silver package.  That package includes the New American Commentary (NAC) set which is a top-notch set of commentaries that are very readable by laymen.  Also, you get most of the advanced data sets and tools unlocked with the Silver package, too.

Posts 6585
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2012 5:05 PM

Rodney Ochs:
If i get money for Christmas...I would like to create a wish list of things that i should start acquiring.

Why not create a wish list and tell friends and relatives about it. Copy the url and send it to them in their email.

1. Go to logos.com

2. Select the arrow next to your name.

3. Choose profile and look for the section that says public profile.

4. Look at the url www.logos.com/users/yourname

5. Type the full url in a browser and create a wish list.

All Religious Education in Logos Bible Software. Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 2841
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2012 5:18 PM

It is hard to beat the Tyndale Commentaries for value per dollar.  Excellent set and available at a reasonable price from various sources.  Very helpful for lay and clergy.

The IVP Reference Library is another value.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 33
Rodney Ochs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2012 7:05 PM

0 0 1 56 325 Home 2 1 380 14.0 Normal 0 false false false EN-US JA X-NONE

Great info.. I appreciate the feedback. I did get the datasets in the $159 price.. so i should have the bells and whistles..  With L5. $400 was more than i can spend at the moment.. Which is why the $129 EBC seemed like a reasonable commentary for me. That Tyndale Commentaries does seem attractive. Should i wait and save the additional 100 and get the Tyndale rather than EBC? 

Posts 821
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 10 2012 8:03 PM

Rodney Ochs:
Expositors bible Commentary.
 this is a really good one!

Posts 33
Rodney Ochs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 10:24 AM

Expositors bible Commentary Vs Tyndale Commentary - i see where Tyndale is on the 12 days of Christmas.. which makes it a little more affordable. why would i pick one over the other?

Posts 2902
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 11:42 AM

Rodney Ochs:
I would like to create a wish list of things that i should start acquiring. I know that is a wide open area.. Im not a pastor or seminary student. Just a guy who wants to learn more about the bible and improve my bible study/knowledge... maybe even add insightful information and depth to my small group.

One product i have been eying is the Expositors bible Commentary. And i also noticed the 12 Days of Christmas has the Vines

Vine's is especially good if you want to do some word study but don't have a good working knowledge of Greek.

I'd probably recommend the Tyndale set over the EBC set, though more because of familiarity than anything else.  I've used Tyndale for 20+ years and it has been very useful with most volumes.

Logos (in my opinion) works best with resources keyed to a verse-by-verse usage...i.e. commentaries.  Spend the initial part of your discretionary funds on some good commentaries, then add other stuff as you see a need and/or have a budget.  If I were to start over with Logos (I started with L3), I'd shy away from the bigger collections and focus more on specific resources I need/want.  I have hundreds of books in L5 which I doubt I'll ever open...they came with the Platinum L4 upgrade a few years ago.  I don't lose any sleep over them, but I don't really need them.

If you do use Greek and/or Hebrew, there are better dictionaries than Vine's.  But if not, that's a good buy.

HTH.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 33
Rodney Ochs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 2:59 PM

Doc - great feedback. I have been trying to come up with a top 10 list of resources i should save for and one by one check them off. It does seem that the more i read the Tyndale does seem to have an edge over the EBC. and since Tyndale is a little more than EBC.. i might hold off on the vine's this time... even if its a great $8 price.  Thank you again.

Posts 2902
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 3:15 PM

Rodney Ochs:
I have been trying to come up with a top 10 list of resources i should save for and one by one

There are a number of web pages which rank books like commentaries.  These are most helpful if you find one by an author or organization with whom you share basic theological beliefs.

If you happen to be Baptist, another user just posted a link to a very useful document on building a theological library, written by Daniel Akin, president of SEBTS.  Here's the link to that- http://www.danielakin.com/?p=2201 .  Even if you aren't Baptist, there are quite a few good resources on his list of which I'm confident many evangelicals would approve.

When I got more interested in focusing on specific resources I wanted, I created an Excel spreadsheet wishlist with each book of the Bible listed, and the recommended commentaries and other resources tied to them.  I went through my L4 (what I had back then) library and checked off the ones I already had, then searched out the rest (that Logos offers) on the Logos.com website and put them in my wishlist.  So now, as I have fundage, I pick up one or two here and there.

Again, HTH.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 567
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 3:38 PM

I would second the IVP Reference Library which is also a part of the 12 days of Christmas.  I use the OT and NT IVP Background Commentaries all the time.

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 4:33 PM

Glad that link is already finding traction :)

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS