Patrologia Cursus Completus, Graeca, Part 1 (vols. 1–18) vs. Patrologia Cursus Completus, Graeca, 167 volumes

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 11 2012 12:50 PM

So, I still have the Part 1 vol. 1-18 sitting in limbo at $90 community pricing (versus original $399)

https://www.logos.com/product/16530/patrologia-cursus-completus-series-graeca-part-1

but now just saw and bid $250 on the ENTIRE 167-volume set in community pricing (originally $650, but dropped to $250 as soon as I clicked on the bid price - weird).

https://www.logos.com/product/28903/patrologiae-cusrus-completus-series-graeca

FYI - someone needs to change cusrus to cursus Big Smile

So does that mean I'm on schedule to purchase both the $90 set and then an additional $250 including a duplication of volumes 1-18 from Part 1? I certainly don't want to cancel my $90 bid on volumes 1-18 in case the full set never sees the light of day.

Any knowledge about this?

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 12:58 PM

Eric Weiss:

So, I still have the Part 1 vol. 1-18 sitting in limbo at $90 community pricing (versus original $399)

https://www.logos.com/product/16530/patrologia-cursus-completus-series-graeca-part-1

but now just saw and bid $250 on the ENTIRE 167-volume set in community pricing (originally $650, but dropped to $250 as soon as I clicked on the bid price - weird).

https://www.logos.com/product/28903/patrologiae-cusrus-completus-series-graeca

So does that mean I'm on schedule to purchase both the $90 set and then an additional $250 including a duplication of volumes 1-18 from Part 1? I certainly don't want to cancel my $90 bid on volumes 1-18 in case the full set never sees the light of day.

Thank you for calling my attention to this.  I was unaware that it was even being offered.  I'm in for both so that whichever makes it over the top is the one I'm for (though I would prefer the complete version).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 1:20 PM

Eric Weiss:

Thanks Eric!          Peace to you!                *smile*

I appreciate the info!            I just signed up for the second one also.  Also, I did not "un-sign" the first because I wouldn't want to mess up my place in line -- or whatever!    *smile*           Thanks for posting!                Perhaps Logos will be gracious as per usual and give us the good word, eh??

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 4913
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 1:23 PM

What if partial goes over line and then sometime later full goes over.  That is the bid or not to bid question in this scenario

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 1:26 PM

It wasn't too long ago that vol 1-18 was going to set me back $399, and now it looks like vol 1-167 may be had for $250 or less. What a deal!!

Posts 285
Hapax Legomena | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 1:29 PM

Wow!  I'm in.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 1:53 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

I didn't realize the Latina went so far into the Middle Ages. And in spite of the name he did include the newest Doctor of the Church Hildegard of Bingen. Smile

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1830
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 1:55 PM

I am in on both.   Just waiting for a wish to become reality.  Maybe I should wish upon the first star I see tonight. 

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 1:58 PM

Kenneth Neighoff:
I am in on both
and I'm in on the three:

and for twice the current bidding amounts. To me in Logos they're worth much more.

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 2:17 PM

Me, too (all 3). I'm doing it for the lucky and deserving seminary student or theologian who will get my Logos license for cheap or in my will sometime in the future, as I can't really use anything but the Greek.

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 5:45 PM

Kenneth Neighoff:
Maybe I should wish upon the first star I see tonight.
A small prayer is usually much more effective Wink

Posts 1830
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 6:19 PM

Sleiman:

Kenneth Neighoff:
Maybe I should wish upon the first star I see tonight.
A small prayer is usually much more effective Wink

Especially since we have rain right now. 

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 11 2012 6:38 PM

Kenneth Neighoff:

Especially since we have rain right now

It must have something to do with that dancing you've been doing lately.  Geeked  (You wouldn't hit a guy with glasses, would you?)

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 300
JPH | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 6:49 AM

Sleiman:

So the bottom bid on these is only 71%/72% off regular price. I understand the value of the set, but I still like a cp discount that's over 80%. Can we get the pricing restructured so as to bid less than $250? I also understand that it may never reach 100% if it goes for less than $250, so you know, whatever...

Posts 1504
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 7:26 AM

I imagine that it would never reach 100% at prices that low. Making a well done digital version of series this big in Greek or Latin is probably a multi-million dollar project... even for Logos.

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 7:39 AM

John Harrigan:
I still like a cp discount that's over 80%
Each of us has different reasons for bidding and different amounts they can afford and the product offer is worth something different to each as well. The rule for everything you buy is this: if it's worth more to you than it costs you then you come out of the deal winning. I don't buy something just because it's on discount. It has to be something I need or want first and then it has to be worth at least the amount I pay for it.

So the question you need to ask yourself is not how much is the discount, the question is how  much is it worth to you?

The church fathers are of great importance to all Christians no matter what your background or denomination is. Their reading and interpretation of Scripture are a treasury, from which the Church will forever draw—this, despite the fact that the methods the Fathers used to explore the meaning of the texts were those of the times and cultures in which they lived. They faced challenges from Greek thought and heretical groups. On the other hand, their cultural background I believe is much closer to that during Jesus' earthly ministry than it is now or ever will be. Any respectable current commentary cannot dismiss this fact. Furthermore, they wrestled with doctrines that all (if not most) of us today accept and often take for granted. 

To me at least, the literature they produced in the original languages is a priceless treasure. Having the ability with a few clicks to look at it in the comfort of your sofa now 800-1900 years later is a tremendous privilege. 

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 7:52 AM

Fr Devin Roza:
Making a well done digital version of series this big in Greek or Latin is probably a multi-million dollar project... even for Logos.
I don't disagree, but I still think it's theoretically at least possible to get this through.

If 18000 pages of Spurgeon works made it to production in a few months for less than $50, then I'm going to make some assumptions to estimate how much this is going to cost:

1. Only quarter the number of people are willing to bid on this than on Spurgeon books (in truth probably this is too optimistic?).
  2. Cost per page of a greek or latin text is let's say 30% more than English (bear with me).
  3. 150,000 pages for PL vs 18,000 pages for Spurgeon works.

We need to multiply $50 by 4 (from assumption 1), then by 1.3 (assumption 2), then by 8.3 (assumption 3), we get $2167 per bid. Crying

Ok I think we need some intervention from above to make it happen.

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 8:26 AM

These are going to be extremely valuable to some and of little value to those who are not familiar enough with the ancient languages; so expect a high price if these are ever going to get into production. We could ask for the ability to bid as low as $100, but that is unlikely to quadruple the number of people able to read, value use and pay for these resources to be digitized in Logos format.........

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 8:44 AM

I doubt we would get more than 2% to 5% of those who bid on the Spurgeon books, given the resistance to purchasing anything expensive that is not translated into english....  that would put your estimate up to $10,000 to $20,000 per bid (which probably means everyone would drop out).... getting prices down to the $250 range does suggest that the probability of this getting into production is something unllikely to happen without intervention !!

I see in the pre-pubs that $50 is being asked for a project to translate 800 pages of Latin works by John Owen into English.

How much then might it cost to translate these three offereings (270,000 pages) assuming anyone would take on such a task and finish it for us in Logos format while we were still around to purchase it...  Confused

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 9:43 AM

David J. Wilson:

I doubt we would get more than 2% to 5% of those who bid on the Spurgeon books, given the resistance to purchasing anything expensive that is not translated into english....  that would put your estimate up to $10,000 to $20,000 per bid (which probably means everyone would drop out).... getting prices down to the $250 range does suggest that the probability of this getting into production is something unllikely to happen without intervention !!

I see in the pre-pubs that $50 is being asked for a project to translate 800 pages of Latin works by John Owen into English.

How much then might it cost to translate these three offereings (270,000 pages) assuming anyone would take on such a task and finish it for us in Logos format while we were still around to purchase it...  Confused

I agree, I can't see any of these getting into production, sadly--unless they tried one volume at a time. Just not enough people can read the languages. The production of these probably would really put Logos on the map and substantially increase Logos uses, but it would probably have to be done by taking a loss on the sets themselves. 

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS