Anyone Else Underwhelmed by the Christmas Sales?

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 12 2012 5:17 AM

Is it just me or is anyone else underwhelmed by the Christmas sales this year?  Maybe I have been spoiled because of a few past Christmas sales that rocked my world?  Or maybe when you get over 4000 books in your library it takes a real shocker of a deal to make the adrenaline pump?   Now, I am not at all trying to throw a stone at Logos.  To borrow a line from George on Seinfeld and apply it to my comments regarding Logos, "It's me not you."

Posts 483
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 6:03 AM

Garrett I have expected more as well.  Maybe they are saving the best for last.  Some of the sales discounts are not very deep.

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 6:06 AM

Garrett Mercury:

Is it just me or is anyone else underwhelmed by the Christmas sales this year?  Maybe I have been spoiled because of a few past Christmas sales that rocked my world?  Or maybe when you get over 4000 books in your library it takes a real shocker of a deal to make the adrenaline pump?   Now, I am not at all trying to throw a stone at Logos.  To borrow a line from George on Seinfeld and apply it to my comments regarding Logos, "It's me not you."

As a long-time user of the pre-pub and community pricing program, I can say that the more you buy during the year with those programs, the less appealing the Christmas deals typically look.

That's not an indictment on Logos, rather a plug for the pre-pub, community pricing programs. These are usually a better and more economical way to build your library. For those that don't take advantage of those programs, or for those just getting started with Logos (and have a long way to go to build the library they want), the Christmas bundles, offers, etc., look good. I'm happy for them. But I'm happier with the pre-pub and community pricing programs.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1783
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 6:15 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
As a long-time user of the pre-pub and community pricing program, I can say that the more you buy during the year with those programs, the less appealing the Christmas deals typically look.

Community pricing cant be beat Surprise 

Richard DeRuiter:
But I'm happier with the pre-pub and community pricing programs.

Only problem is that some of the pre-pub sets are priced to high. Crying

Many times I just wait until the set is broken up Yes

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 8898
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 6:38 AM

I hear what you are saying about Christmas sales but when you think about it there have been some fairly good deals the last while between the launch of Logos 5 and Black Friday. In comparison to these two sales the Christmas sales do seem quite blah.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 6:58 AM

Richard DeRuiter:

Garrett Mercury:

After the 2010 Christmas deal, I think Logos set the bar so high they will never outperform themselves. (For those who don't know; 2010 books for $1 each.) Another factor is how many books you have in your library. Once you reach 10,000 books it gets harder for Logos to construct a super-saver deal.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 10115
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 7:00 AM

Judging from the 12 Days series discounts and then the bundle mixes (small > xlarge), I'd suspect Logos needs to get its margins back up. I also suspect Santa's teeth don't suffer from eating too many cookies.

Posts 21
Brian Durbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 9:17 AM

Yeah, some of the past sales were so phenomenal that I can't expect Logos to be able to repeat them year after year. It would be hard for them to make money if everyone could just expect nearly profit-free books every Christmas. 

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 9:31 AM

Garrett Mercury:

Yes, but it's good. I had been planning to pick up the International Critical Commentaries New Testament set if there had been Christmas Credit. Now I've made the decision that I'm going to use the Google Books version for my research, copy out the Greek myself (I particularly wanted the Gospel of John and the Revelation commentaries), and not purchase them, now or in the future. 

The deals last year were exceptional, and presumably not very profitable, or else they would repeat them. I'm grateful for last year, but glad that it isn't something that happens every year, as it's nice not to spend too much also. I doubt I'll be making use of any deals this year.

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 10:23 AM

I have a theory. My guess is that it cost a lot to get L5 developed and out the door. If I was in their shoes, selling upgrades and bringing in new customers around my flagship product would be my focus to pay the bills.  I think the Christmas credit promotion might dilute that effort.  

Additionally, many of the items put on sale I have already picked up or passed on. If memory serves me correctly, Lenski was on sale last year about this time and was on sale in June before that.  Some items seem to go regularly on sale. This may be due to favourable conditions with the publisher to use them frequently, or the resource may be a best seller for new customers as the user base grows. 

So, yes, it has been underwhelming because there hasn't been anything put on offer this year that has made me struggle with having to pass on due to my book budget being spent for the year. That's ok. I have what I need and I am saving for a couple of big ticket items that I need at some point whether they go on sale or not.  It is still fun though to look and see if there is something new that hasn't been on offer before.

In the meantime, I rejoice with anyone who can pick up specials like we have seen on resources like IVP collection and the TOTC/TNTC for a reduced price. These are solid additions to anyone's library.

Posts 10115
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 10:29 AM

Most people have never seen my picture ... my head's square with a round circular apparatus with an arm and needle on the end.

If all that people did was get Christmas Day #1, it'd be worth it. I must have gone through a bunch of 'Christmas's' buying unusual stuff when the Essential IVP Collection (#3 of course!)  sat waiting for me to emerge from stupidity.

Can't afford 'Logos' ?... Get a basic level and Christmas Day #1. Done.

Posts 36
Brad Gault | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 11:03 AM

Couldn't agree more .... underwhelmed and disappointed.

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 11:52 AM

DMB:
Most people have never seen my picture ... my head's square with a round circular apparatus with an arm and needle on the end.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 12:07 PM

Garrett Mercury:
Is it just me or is anyone else underwhelmed by the Christmas sales this year?

it does not take much to make me happy. If Logos offers me one great deal more than I can afford I am overwhelmed. This year I am not disappointed.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9964
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 12:46 PM

Garrett Mercury:

Hm. I rather feel thankful, thankful that there are so many excellent resources out there - and that I have so many of them already available in my library (which also helps to avoid putting still more money out after the Verbum Master upgrade and all these pre-Pubs coming through).

The Line-up for the twelve days so far is really impressive and I'm glad that so many users get the opportunity to get this stuff.

Day 1: The Essential IVP Reference Collection Version 3

√ my very first Logos resource, really indespensible. Often called one of the best buys one can have in Logos.

Day 2: Dictionary for Theological Interpretation of the Bible

√ this I own (unfortunately) outside of Logos - a really helpful resource, I'm tempted to buy it again to have it here…

Day 3: International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (ISBE) (1979–1995) (4 vols.)

√ bought this in September and it really fits the FSB links - many think it's the best dictionary set

Day 4: Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works (15 vols.)

√ got this right off the Pre-Pub. A real modern saint and highly reflective theologian and pastor. Read him!

Day 5: Vine’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words

√ think it was on a Nelson CD-ROM, but now this is nearly free - no one can complain about the cost for dipping into Greek/Hebrew

Day 6: John Piper Collection (24 vols.)

X okay, there must be one I don't have and am not interested in, but many people hold Piper in high regard  

Day 7: Tyndale Commentaries (49 vols)

√ my first commentary set in Logos, iirc. OT and NT! Really worth every dime.

Day 8: Lenski’s Commentary on the New Testament

√ bought this in 2011 - the first commenter for me who really goes deep into Greek. And a personality as a writer.

(edited layout, it seems pasted tables from Excel don't play nice with the forum display)

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 1:43 PM

I hadn't intended to buy anything from the Logos' 12 Days of Christmas Sale … until I saw today's offer: Lenski's NT Commentaries for $199.95. Wow! I have had Lenski on my wishlist for a while, so I asked the family treasurer (my wife) who in a (rare) moment of weakness/compassion/folly/generosity said' "Yes".

Just ordered it before she changes her mind!

Now I can give away my print copies to Blythswood Trust who can sell them for their work in helping people in need. It's a win-win situation. Big Smile

Christmas has come early!

BTW I would thoroughly recommend Lenski … and hence the Logos offer.

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 4913
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 1:53 PM

Garrett Mercury:

Nope.  I think Logos has done a great job in what they have been able to offer in sales.  Agree with Richard though get them on pre-pub and community pricing if you can,  if you miss those opportunities Christmas sales are a good option.

I also think Logos did a great job with the selection of resources in the new base packages.   To those responsible for the hard work in negotiating with publishers and internal decision makers to get this years packages and individual selections put together thank you for your efforts.  

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 3:53 PM

Alan Macgregor:

I hadn't intended to buy anything from the Logos' 12 Days of Christmas Sale … until I saw today's offer: Lenski's NT Commentaries for $199.95. Wow! I have had Lenski on my wishlist for a while, so I asked the family treasurer (my wife) who in a (rare) moment of weakness/compassion/folly/generosity said' "Yes".

Just ordered it before she changes her mind!

Now I can give away my print copies to Blythswood Trust who can sell them for their work in helping people in need. It's a win-win situation. Big Smile

Christmas has come early!

BTW I would thoroughly recommend Lenski … and hence the Logos offer.

I don't know what base package you have, but the price of Lenski, even on sale, might not be that much less than upgrading to Platinum, and getting Alford, Calvin, Lange, Black, Nicholl's Expositor's, and Lenski.

Blythswood Trust? That name rings a bell. There's a bookshop in Bedfordshire that I think used to be run by them, if I recall--perhaps that's where I heard of it. 

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 3:59 PM

I'm happy...

I bought an upgraded base package for a steal... Literally. Sales did some consolidating, and discounting, and I ended up paying about 120$ (for silver) more than I was already going to give them in the next year.

I have absolutely no complaints RE logos, and the current sale. especially if you are getting a base package. From what I hear the current sale price is going to be short lived.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 485
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 12 2012 4:50 PM

Today's offer, Lenski, is the only one that is tempting me in the least. But the flood of Community Pricing items in recent months has sapped my Logos budget, so I 'll likely pass, especially since the mucho expensivo Jonathan Edwards set ($900) is (I hope) to be released by Q2 2013. For just a little more than the price of Lenski I could get the recently annunced Baker NT commentary collection that has Hoehner's Ehpesians, Keener's John, and a few other excellent editions. I think I would use more of those volumes than Lenski, excellent as Lenski is.

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS